Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

But yep, as soon as a few bounces went there way in the first and they got a few easy and somewhat flukey goals it was as though the guy's went F-it here we go again and dropped their shoulders. You could literally see it happening.
Sydney quickly sensed we were not up for it. Grew in stature, while we shrivelled Like Constanza after being the pool.

Montagna absolutely nails it here, couldnt be more on the money. Kings too busy defending his mate to see what's happening

This every day of the week.

The ideal footballer, one playing with confidence and in form is one good at contested football, isn't rattled in congestion and adaptable to scenarios that place them under pressure. Players like Yeo, Shuey and Kelly are those types of players at their best but they're nowhere near it at the moment and while fitness might be an issue given their recent injury concerns it's a whole lot more than that.

The AFL's policies on rules have made our advantage in the kick and mark game redundant in that it's easy for lower-skilled sides to pull off and our zone defense isn't anywhere near as effective given the man-on-the-mark rules make defending short kicks near impossible, clubs use that kick and run off the line to generate some relatively easy overlap against us. I feel really sorry for the likes of Cole and Barrass who consistently find themselves committing themselves to one on one contests knowing full well the opposition has the outnumber if they split the contest. On the flip side that short angular kick that every club uses, supported by run simply isn't taken by this West Coast team. Unless we're taking a lot of territory by foot we genuinely don't take territory as we refuse to commit bodies to attack and we haven't broken sides open by foot since 2019.

I genuinely hate the Richmond brand of football that commits numbers behind the ball and uses those numbers to generate ball movement, it's crap to watch and I honestly thought someone would have found them out sooner, we've gone the opposite way since 2018 and like Collingwood have suffered from shoddy ball movement. I believe in the total football philosophy that Simpson has espoused in the past, the problem is he's done the very opposite of it. He's bred a group that only knows how to play one way and players readily find themselves in positions where they're unable to execute the role the situation requires of them.

I think Suma just called the AFL Tonight host "Kath", even though it wasn't the usual host whose name is Kath. Two weeks in a row he's mucked it up on that show

I think Suma just called the AFL Tonight host "Kath", even though it wasn't the usual host whose name is Kath. Two weeks in a row he's mucked it up on that show

Suma has simply presumed it is a title rather than a name.

On The Couch laid into us to start their show tonight for about 5 minutes and they showed us just jogging around half assed and watching Sydney players attack the ball and run past us. I hope the players watch it.
I'm pretty sure they would have watched it in the review. The line coach goes through every minute you've touched the ball or been involved in play. This happens every week.

On The Couch laid into us to start their show tonight for about 5 minutes and they showed us just jogging around half assed and watching Sydney players attack the ball and run past us. I hope the players watch it.

I didn't watch but if the phrase "they just didn't want it enough" came up then it does not belong in this thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure they would have watched it in the review. The line coach goes through every minute you've touched the ball or been involved in play. This happens every week.

Time to get rid of the line coach then. He is either not doing it correctly or doing too much of it. every minute?? so the boys watched every minute of their Geelong game and decided to serve up same performance again??

Interesting.
Why the Eagles ‘wouldn’t have won’ 2018 flag without Sam Mitchell
West Coast 2018 premiership defender Will Schofield believes the club would not have won the flag three years ago if Sam Mitchell was not at the Eagles.
The sensational claim comes a day after Hawthorn announced a succession plan for Mitchell to take over from Alastair Clarkson at the end of the 2022 season.
Mitchell retired as a player at the end of 2017 and slotted straight into Adam Simpson’s coaching group, with his portfolio primarily focused on the on-ballers.
The Eagles were hunting a home qualifying final when Nic Naitanui ruptured his ACL in Round 17 and Andrew Gaff was suspended for eight weeks three games later.
The two blows forced the ex-Hawk to reconstruct the midfield group at a critical time of the year.

Though he was just one of a dozen coaches among 40 players, Schofield was full of praise for Mitchell’s influence, declaring he was the best assistant he played under in 14 years of AFL football.

“Put it this way, we wouldn’t have won in 2018 without Sam Mitchell as an assistant coach,” Schofield said to foxfooty.com.au on Wednesday.

“If you asked any player who was at West Coast in 2018 they would speak very highly of Sam Mitchell. He’s highly intelligent with a high footy IQ. He’s a great educator who can teach young and senior players. He’s a direct communicator.

“He cut his teeth at the Hawks where I imagine their leadership group meetings would have been pretty direct and honest. I responded well to him.

“He is also able to change his tone depending on who he speaks to. I can’t see it not working. It’s a great appointment. He’s the best assistant coach I ever played under. Yes, I haven’t played under him as a head coach but he’s the best assistant I came across in 14 years of AFL football.”

As positive as Schofield was about Mitchell’s prospects as a senior coach, the retired defender questioned whether a transition year would work for Hawthorn’s young list.

“It will be difficult as a player,” he said.

“If you have a head coach and an assistant that you know will take over, you won’t deal with that assistant like you would any of the others. Relationships with assistant coaches are always closer. They are not making the final selection call and spend a lot more time with players.

“If anything, it probably hurts his ability to be an assistant because guys will hold back a little bit.”

Interesting.
Why the Eagles ‘wouldn’t have won’ 2018 flag without Sam Mitchell
West Coast 2018 premiership defender Will Schofield believes the club would not have won the flag three years ago if Sam Mitchell was not at the Eagles.
The sensational claim comes a day after Hawthorn announced a succession plan for Mitchell to take over from Alastair Clarkson at the end of the 2022 season.
Mitchell retired as a player at the end of 2017 and slotted straight into Adam Simpson’s coaching group, with his portfolio primarily focused on the on-ballers.
The Eagles were hunting a home qualifying final when Nic Naitanui ruptured his ACL in Round 17 and Andrew Gaff was suspended for eight weeks three games later.
The two blows forced the ex-Hawk to reconstruct the midfield group at a critical time of the year.

Though he was just one of a dozen coaches among 40 players, Schofield was full of praise for Mitchell’s influence, declaring he was the best assistant he played under in 14 years of AFL football.

“Put it this way, we wouldn’t have won in 2018 without Sam Mitchell as an assistant coach,” Schofield said to foxfooty.com.au on Wednesday.

“If you asked any player who was at West Coast in 2018 they would speak very highly of Sam Mitchell. He’s highly intelligent with a high footy IQ. He’s a great educator who can teach young and senior players. He’s a direct communicator.

“He cut his teeth at the Hawks where I imagine their leadership group meetings would have been pretty direct and honest. I responded well to him.

“He is also able to change his tone depending on who he speaks to. I can’t see it not working. It’s a great appointment. He’s the best assistant coach I ever played under. Yes, I haven’t played under him as a head coach but he’s the best assistant I came across in 14 years of AFL football.”

As positive as Schofield was about Mitchell’s prospects as a senior coach, the retired defender questioned whether a transition year would work for Hawthorn’s young list.

“It will be difficult as a player,” he said.

“If you have a head coach and an assistant that you know will take over, you won’t deal with that assistant like you would any of the others. Relationships with assistant coaches are always closer. They are not making the final selection call and spend a lot more time with players.

“If anything, it probably hurts his ability to be an assistant because guys will hold back a little bit.”

Unless it's a completely different interview and not simply a repackaging of another interview as per usual, that interview is a hell of a lot different than The West's headline of:

'Mitchell a better coach than Simpson, Worsfold: Former Eagle'.

Unless it's a completely different interview and not simply a repackaging of another interview as per usual, that interview is a hell of a lot different than The West's headline of:

So a 'news' paper goes with a sensational headline rather than the truth as ecvidenced in an article - I can not believe it

This every day of the week.

The ideal footballer, one playing with confidence and in form is one good at contested football, isn't rattled in congestion and adaptable to scenarios that place them under pressure. Players like Yeo, Shuey and Kelly are those types of players at their best but they're nowhere near it at the moment and while fitness might be an issue given their recent injury concerns it's a whole lot more than that.

The AFL's policies on rules have made our advantage in the kick and mark game redundant in that it's easy for lower-skilled sides to pull off and our zone defense isn't anywhere near as effective given the man-on-the-mark rules make defending short kicks near impossible, clubs use that kick and run off the line to generate some relatively easy overlap against us. I feel really sorry for the likes of Cole and Barrass who consistently find themselves committing themselves to one on one contests knowing full well the opposition has the outnumber if they split the contest. On the flip side that short angular kick that every club uses, supported by run simply isn't taken by this West Coast team. Unless we're taking a lot of territory by foot we genuinely don't take territory as we refuse to commit bodies to attack and we haven't broken sides open by foot since 2019.

I genuinely hate the Richmond brand of football that commits numbers behind the ball and uses those numbers to generate ball movement, it's crap to watch and I honestly thought someone would have found them out sooner, we've gone the opposite way since 2018 and like Collingwood have suffered from shoddy ball movement. I believe in the total football philosophy that Simpson has espoused in the past, the problem is he's done the very opposite of it. He's bred a group that only knows how to play one way and players readily find themselves in positions where they're unable to execute the role the situation requires of them.
They won’t look at ‘the system’, only a ‘bit of method’ - lol.

Got to hand it to them for their dedication in doubling, tripling, quadrupling, quintupling, sextupling, septupling, and octupling down on a (good?) thing.

Is it arrogance? complacency? A gravy train more likely.

I predict them being up by 38 points at 3 quarter time with a fourth quarter fade to win by 15 points.

Friends, family, a flogged horse, and a window shut for 10+ years. North are better placed than us going forward.

There's a grab from an interview that he did yesterday (I think with 6PR) where he clearly states that Mitchell was the best coach, specifically mentioning that he was better than Simpson & Worsfold.

There's a grab from an interview that he did yesterday (I think with 6PR) where he clearly states that Mitchell was the best coach, specifically mentioning that he was better than Simpson & Worsfold.

As a communicator (or something specific) or overall?

You need good assistants to surround the head coach no matter how good the coach might be.

Its like the extra 1%er to get the best out of a squad.

Some get good assistants and some have a drug program like the Bombers a few years back.

Look at the current teams:

Melbourne - Mark Williams: Since coming on he has taken a talented team and given them an edge.

Swans - Pyke: Have given their team a defensive edge that was lacking under Horse.

Port - Voss. Has been there a while now so not sure if he is the reason they are up and about but he has been handy for them no doubt.

Tigers - Had Leppa there for a while and help turned Dimmas team around from a rabble to a powerhouse.

I already see Schoey in a different light now anyway after he claimed that he doesn't support a particular team, but has a soft spot for both the Eagles and Geelong.

He has to say that if he wants to be taken seriously in his line of work. Otherwise you end up with a Karl Langdon who used to defend the Eagles no matter what but now he goes to far the other way so to not look Bias and its cringe. Jacko was the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back