Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been doing one meal per day the last week (well, essentially - I’m making a big Greek salad with tofu and then a side of sweet potato and cottage cheese) and it’s interesting see the results during the fasting period.

I’ve lost some weight naturally, but I’ve noticed how much more focused and energised I’ve been throughout the day. Also slept really well, and I wonder if that’s partly due to the fatigue after a big meal.

Anyone else tried OMPD or done the ‘warrior’ diet? (As wanky as that sounds)

Guessing OMPD is just one meal a day?

I did it incidentally. When I do 16:8 (which I'm lazy about, I can do it for three weeks easy then just barely do it half a week after that) I inevitably just go to one meal a day.

It's easier to do this sort of thing when you're working. And not just because you can block out the boredom of wanting to fling open the pantry. I think it's a reward mechanism... you cancel out food at work, you walk home, then that first bite of even a second-rate dish is unreal. Flavour everywhere, mouth being just about lit up, salivating like crazy... then your body really goes into rest mode and you're done. It's definitely tapping into that hunter-gatherer body conditioning. I remember working on my feet about nine hours a day, 40 minute walk to and from home, fanging hard for a beer, having just a basic stir fry and after that one beer I couldn't be arsed having another. I'd just sleep.

There's some monastic about that way of living. Those first two or so months of a new job where you're still into it, seeing it for its benefits, just basically sticking to ritual, making money is a good feeling. I dropped down to 66 kilos and kept it at that level for like seven months when I was working hardcore.

I could be partly imagining this, but I find my survival instincts really kick in during long periods of faster. Sounds are sharper and more resonant, I notice my sense of smell a lot more and I would say overall all of my senses are elevated.

You definitely get pangs I’d hunger, but you have a few big gulps of water and wait it out and you flatline maybe fifteen minutes later.

Agree about those first few bites after an extended fasting period. So good.

I went from 16:8 to 18:6, and now I'm on a 3-day +/- 21:3. My first 24 hour fast was really difficult, but now I find them fairly easy. I definitely like the idea of only eating at night.

Those of you doing one meal per day, do you eat significantly fewer calories then?

I went from 16:8 to 18:6, and now I'm on a 3-day +/- 21:3. My first 24 hour fast was really difficult, but now I find them fairly easy. I definitely like the idea of only eating at night.

Those of you doing one meal per day, do you eat significantly fewer calories then?

Interesting - what have been the results on each of those changes?

Yeah I can't do this.

I love food too much. It's all i think about ;)

Yeah I can't do this.

George Best-

“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”

“In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.”

"It's not that there's anything necessarily magical about intermittent fasting"

One of the main benefits, if not the actual main benefit of 16/8, is to completely empty the stomach and digestive tract. It was never intended to be calorie restriction, but fortunately for the majority who consume twice what they actually need (mainly through so called healthy carbs) it is the big bonus that comes with it.
The overwhelming majority of high end sports dietitians belong to the DAA, and unfortunately are unable to to have a though or progressive idea of their own.

Good on Viney for giving it a go.

In theory, no. Some say if you keep it under 50 calories you body says in it's fasted state though. Do what you've gotta do though, it doesn't have to be a rigid diet, that's one of the reasons it has worked for me I think.

Do people let themselves have a white tea?

One, two cups with almond milk? Just a little?

Calories will technically break the fast, if that’s the main benefits you are chasing. But if you are using IF to restrict calories then a tea with some almond milk will be fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a student i tried fasting, i only wanted to loose a few pounds, after a few days of eating hardly anything all my teeth felt sore from the roots upwards, it scared me as i have nice teeth and no fillings, i started eating sensibly and had fruit for lunch, i lost the few pounds that i wanted to shed and my teeth stopped hurting. I wouldn't recommend fasting, healthy eating and some exercise is much better.

As a student i tried fasting, i only wanted to loose a few pounds, after a few days of eating hardly anything all my teeth felt sore from the roots upwards, it scared me as i have nice teeth and no fillings, i started eating sensibly and had fruit for lunch, i lost the few pounds that i wanted to shed and my teeth stopped hurting. I wouldn't recommend fasting, healthy eating and some exercise is much better.
What was your fasting protocol?

What was your fasting protocol?
I just had a pasty and a sandwich of an evening, i had plenty of fluids though but i went without food and lost weight too quickly, i was on my way to an eating disorder but thankfully it's all behind me now.

I just had a pasty and a sandwich of an evening, i had plenty of fluids though but i went without food and lost weight too quickly, i was on my way to an eating disorder but thankfully it's all behind me now.
The lack of calcium from quality foods which are more nutrients dense would have been your issue not the fasting.

Just a pasty and sandwich is a terrible feed for IF, no wonder you got crook.
IF is about eating sufficient nutrient dense foods in a specific timeframe I.E. 4- 8 hours.

Just a pasty and sandwich is a terrible feed for IF, no wonder you got crook.
IF is about eating sufficient nutrient dense foods in a specific timeframe I.E. 4- 8 hours.
I agree, i was very silly, i'd never do anything like that again. I eat healthy and sensibly now and exercise.

Interesting - what have been the results on each of those changes?

To be honest, I'm not sure. In the end it just helps me not to think of food for most of the day. It may be that I feel more switched on (I've been doing IF for that long, I don't really remember how I was before I started), but it may also be that I think I am because I've read that's a possible result of IF.

Yeah I can't do this.

I'm the same. IF works so well for me because it helps me get my mind off eating. And after a bit of time, this gets so easy. I compare what you're saying to a smoker saying he/she can't live without cigarettes. I'm sure you can do this, but you may not believe you can. In the past, I couldn't go anywhere without carrying something to eat with me, just in case. Now I just know I can easily do without food. Coming from where I used to be, it feels quite liberating actually :D.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back