International Friendly: Switzerland v Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Really looking forward to this game, will be interesting to see how Holger Osieck gets the team to line up, whether he plays 2 up front or Pims traditional 4231. Its a game that we could win but most likely draw. Kewell, Kennedy and Beauchamp are out of the intial squad and Jon McKain, Tommy Oar are in. Hopefully we can get some game time into Dario Vidosic, Matthew Spiranovic, Nathan Burns and Tommy Oar.

Seeing what the coach does will be the only reason to watch, Switzerland are one of if not the most boring team in Europe.

Schwarzer
Wilkshire Neill Spiranovic Carney
Valeri Culina
Emerton Cahill Holman
McDonald

Is what I think the team is watching it.

What a shite penalty.

Didn't think the Swiss had it in them to boo/jeer that loudly either.

How bad was the McDonald miss? You can forgive Neill he isn't a striker but Jeez McDonald....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Schwarzer is pissed at Fulham and will make himself available for all national team games now. If he went to Arsenal I doubt he'd have gone to the Asian Cup.

Mcdonald is so shit get rid of him already. How many chances does this guy need? You are a spud who can only score when given a million chances on a platter in the SPL GTFO

We looked pretty good. Played a decent tempo and created a fair bit. Very open game for 0-0 with chances for both sides.

Mcdonald did some good things and looked lively up front but his job is to score and once again he failed to take advantage of 2 good chances to score. And I thought The AM line was solid. Emerton had a particularly good game out on the right and Cahill and Holman linked both well with Mcdonald. In central midfield Culina had a great game. Given much more freedom and he was spraying lovely 40 yard passes around the ground all night. Looks a lot better when he passes forwards rather than the sideways crap he did all world cup. Valeri had a bad game, looked off the pace and made some poor challenges.

At the back Carney was alright. Got forward well but still leaves way too much room in behind and we were exposed more than once down the left. Wilkshire was his consistent self and has the RB spot nailed down. The Centre backs, Well Neill was pretty rubbish tbh. Made a couple of good clearances and last ditch tackles. But he gave away a clumsy penalty and missed a sitter up front, very similar to the one against Slovenia.

Spiranovic was for me the big positive. Finally getting the start he should have been given 4 years earlier. But good to see him out there and was pretty solid. His distribution from the back was good. Looks good on the ball and doesnt just hoof if long.

Schwarzer showed just why Arsenal were after him. Masterful performance from him. Made several world class saves and hopefully still being at Fulham it means he will be playing in the Asian cup for us.

Jedinak, Vidosic and Oar came off the pine but none really had the time to influence the game too much.

Overall a good start for Osieck. Will need to iron out a few defensive issues, but offensively we looked dangerous and we played at a great fast tempo that had been lacking in Verbeeks teams.

Mcdonald is so shit get rid of him already. How many chances does this guy need? You are a spud who can only score when given a million chances on a platter in the SPL GTFO

I acutally thought Macca played pretty well with the 2 striker system. Yes, he missed a couple of easy chances - mostly because he is putting too much pressure on himself when playing for Australia. I have the feeling once Macca gets one then we will see him thrive under Osieck for the Socceroos. Maybe giving him a run against the Indians in the first round of the Asian cup will give him a much need confidence boost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back