Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah so if that's what it takes to do well in finals as a small forward, there won't be many that do

Yes, I suppose although it is funny saying it the same day that Toby Greene was best on ground, Heeney kicked 4 and was Sydney's best, Charlie Cameron kicked 5 and Fritsch kicked 4.

Stephen Milne is another small forward who struggled in big finals.

In fact, given how much better he was as a player than Rohan, he may in fact take the title.

In Milne's first prelim (2004), he had 1 touch, 0 goals and 4 clangers! (3 frees against) in one of the worst finals showings of all time.

In his second prelim (2005), he had 4 touches and no goals.

In his first 5 prelim or grand finals, he averaged 8 possessions and kicked a total of 2 goals (for a player that kicked 500+ in his career).

2010 was a bit better and he ended up with 8 goals across his 8 prelim and grand final appearances, never collecting 16 or more possessions in a game or kicking.more than 2 goals.

I think this is a bit unfair to Gary Rohan. As a player who tends to only pop up when Geelong are winning comfortably, we can hardly.expect him to be good in finals when Geelong as a team seem barely.interesred in showing up.

Last year for example he averaged 5 disposals and zero goals in the games Geelong lost, and 12 disposals and 1.5 goals in the two that they won.

He is more of a general downhill skier than a bad finals player imo

Cam Mooney had a 0 disposal game in the 99 Grand Final and 0 everything else. Leon laid 3 tackles in his. Be interesting to know how much game time either of them played as interchange numbers were low back then.

Mooney would have spent less than 10 minutes I reckon. Started on the ground got dragged pretty early. Came back on late in the last and was dragged again almost immediately.

Where does Luke Dahlhaus sit in all this?

Where does Luke Dahlhaus sit in all this?

Dahlhaus has played finals the same as he plays the H&A - all his averages are the same. In short, his early career was pretty good and these days, he's lucky to be getting a game.

His early career finals probably exclude him from worst of all time though, with 32 disposals and 6 clearances in the 2016 prelim, 23 touches and 8 tackles in the Grand Final, 27 touches and a goal in an Elim the year before, etc.

Pretty hopeless at Geelong though.

Mooney would have spent less than 10 minutes I reckon. Started on the ground got dragged pretty early. Came back on late in the last and was dragged again almost immediately.
Not surprising as that how the interchange was used back then. I doubt Leon spent more than 40% game time on the ground either.

Looking back at when they first kept the stat and most teams have multiple player who played less than 50% game time. Now it is rare to have a player play less than 70% game time unless injured or being managed due to fitness.

I think this is a bit unfair to Gary Rohan. As a player who tends to only pop up when Geelong are winning comfortably, we can hardly.expect him to be good in finals when Geelong as a team seem barely.interesred in showing up.

Last year for example he averaged 5 disposals and zero goals in the games Geelong lost, and 12 disposals and 1.5 goals in the two that they won.

He is more of a general downhill skier than a bad finals player imo

He played 15/21 finals at Sydney..

10 goals in 15 games

0.67 goals per game
9.26 disposals per game

10/15 games with 9 or less disposals.

It’s not like this has just started to happen.

He just consistently is awful in finals, no matter the situation.

Had 2/21 passable finals which is terrible.

Chris Scott should take 90% of the blame for RoHans for half.

I’m guessing Rohan wasn’t manned up by a 2021 AA at any stage this year.

First final Scott says. Hey Gary. Man up on Aliir . Next minute Danger and his s**t disposal mates kick it directly to Aliir at every opportunity in the first 1/4.

3 times Rohan was on his own. Ball kicked straight to Aliir.

I blame Scott and the Midfield for Friday nights game

He's never recovered from that 2014 ill-fated Luke Hodge intercept. Remember, he looked a million dollars in the prelim the week before. Malceski/Shaw/Grundy take that kick in and perhaps he doesn't have the same mental demons.
I legitimately feel sympathy for Rohan, he's become a September punchline

He's never recovered from that 2014 ill-fated Luke Hodge intercept. Remember, he looked a million dollars in the prelim the week before. Malceski/Shaw/Grundy take that kick in and perhaps he doesn't have the same mental demons.
I legitimately feel sympathy for Rohan, he's become a September punchline

I don't.

Plenty of better footballers received less than a quarter of the chances Rohan has in his career but weren't high draft picks who could run fast.

If he had the athletic profile of Matt Crouch he wouldn't have lasted beyond his first contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam Mooney 0 kicks 0 handballs 0 marks 0 tackles 0 hit outs in 99 GF. And he wasn't injured.
Tbf, mooney played 11 games that year, and got 3 or less disposals in 8 of those 11 games, only kicking 2 goals in total. It wasn't exactly a big drop off.

I'm more puzzled as to how he even played in the first place with numbers like that. I was a bit young then to remember anything, did he play down back?

Tbf, mooney played 11 games that year, and got 3 or less disposals in 8 of those 11 games, only kicking 2 goals in total. It wasn't exactly a big drop off.

I'm more puzzled as to how he even played in the first place with numbers like that. I was a bit young then to remember anything, did he play down back?

Would have spent a big part of the game on the bench. Back then the interchange was used a lot more sparingly

Nah he was more of a forward, with some ruck relief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back