Coach Is Hardwick now the second best coach in the league behind Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond's record over 4 years is astoundingly good.

But it is interesting to think on the possibility that without the input of one freakish player who dominates finals like nobody else, we might well be looking at one flag in those four years.

In which case the deep thinkers of the world might be scratching their chins and suggesting that the coach had failed to get the best out of a quality list.

But it is interesting to think on the possibility that without the input of one freakish player who dominates finals like nobody else, we might well be looking at one flag in those four years.

In which case the deep thinkers of the world might be scratching their chins and suggesting that the coach had failed to get the best out of a quality list.

while one freakish player helps them win flags, the other "plodders" help them get to the finals which is equally if not more important. Dusty performs so well in finals due to his skill + the effort of others around him.

while one freakish player helps them win flags, the other "plodders" help them get to the finals which is equally if not more important. Dusty performs so well in finals due to his skill + the effort of others around him.

I said quality list, and nothing about "plodders" either.

I'm sure you watched the game.

If Martin takes that elbow to the chin in the first minutes this year, Richmond lose and Scott is a genius for winning a flag with a list that's past its use by date.

I don't think anybody not wearing yellow and black glasses doubts that.

I said quality list, and nothing about "plodders" either.

I'm sure you watched the game.

If Martin takes that elbow to the chin in the first minutes this year, Richmond lose and Scott is a genius for winning a flag with a list that's past its use by date.

I don't think anybody not wearing yellow and black glasses doubts that.

We'd never know. We were down 22 points close to half time with Dusty playing. We lost 2018 prelim with dusty playing, we lost the QF with dusty playing.
It's a team effort not just dusty. Anyhow, you are entitled to your opinion.

Is Dimma the best? Hard to say. He's definitely coaching the best of his peers at the moment.

Clarko still holds the crown, but the crown is looking a bit wobbly.

Vlastuin is another great player. Arguably top 5 defender in the comp, definitely top 10 and has been for a few years. Richmond and Hardwick are blessed with great players and in due time they'll be seen in the same light as their Hawks counterparts.
Dimma also started in 2010 with a list that was described as "worse than Fitzroy", and built it through compromised drafts as we were finishing near bottom. Has developed the vast majority of the players on the list and has also had a bunch of rookie picks that have developed into very good players.

Richmond have deserved their flags no doubt but haven't had much of an opponent in each grand final.

Their most impressive win was against Port in the QF for mine. That was certainly a win right up against it. The rest was just beating up on sides making up the numbers.

Deserved premier for sure.

And we in no way 'Bradbury'd' a flag. Would've likely beaten Richmond in 2018. In fact, the coaches were hoping for Richmond to be our GF opponent.
at least get your facts right, we beat port in the PF lol
love how every time we win a flag theres always an excuse , now the best you can come up with is we havent had much of an oppo? LOLOL

guess since we took the VICHOMEBIAS away by winning away it has limited your bs excuses lol

I don't think winning in a year where almost every club hubbed for an extended period means the Tigers 'took the vichomebias away'.
They did when they spent less time in their home state than every non-Vic side but Sydney.

Adelaide - 10/17 games in home state
Brisbane - 14/17 games in home state, 9 of which is at the Gabba
Carlton - 5/17 games in home state
Collingwood - 4/17 games in home state
Essendon - 3/17 games in home state
Fremantle - 7/17 games in home state
Geelong - 4/17 games in home state
Gold Coast - 11/17 games in home state, 9 of which is at Metricon Stadium
GWS - 6/17 games in home state
Hawthorn - 4/17 games in home state
Melbourne - 3/17 games in home state
North Melbourne - 4/17 games in home state
Port Adelaide - 7/17 games in home state
Richmond - 5/17 games in home state
St Kilda - 5/17 games in home state
Sydney - 4/17 games in home state
West Coast - 7/17 games in home state
Western Bulldogs - 4/17 games in home state.

In fact, Sydney is the only team who has less than a Victorian side in general (only Richmond, Carlton and St Kilda). Every other non-Victorian side had more home state games. Yet, two Victorians made the Grand Final and Richmond still won the Premiership.

The excuses have dried up in my opinion. Richmond’s the only side with a non-Victorian Premiership showing that they don’t need the comfort of the Grand Final (and a lot of their H&A and finals games) being in their home state to win as some previously suggested.

Regarding good coaches... Is Paul Roos the most over rated coach ever .. why is his name always on these lists as the man to bring in to fix the team and have someone under his wing to take over the role in a few years.. he seems to be rated as a god like coach that can save any club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko only has one game plan (chip, chip, chip - which is boring as bat poo to watch) and the other teams have worked out how to defeat it. Instead of devising a new plan (like a good coach would) he just wines to his good mate Gillon and then we end up with rules like the stupid 6-6-6 rule. Clarko's fault.

Crazy how the Hawks were easily the highest scoring team from 2012-2016 yet were boring...

A lot of Martin's development as a player and person is a direct result of Hardwick's man management.

Regarding good coaches... Is Paul Roos the most over rated coach ever .. why is his name always on these lists as the man to bring in to fix the team and have someone under his wing to take over the role in a few years.. he seems to be rated as a god like coach that can save any club.
Fair point. 1 premiership yet viewed as the 'messiah' when he went to the goDees.

Hardwick's the best coach in the comp now. He is out coaching everyone.

I am really interested to see how Clarko goes coaching over the next few years with this list. He is an all time great, but he had the benefit of one of the best lists ever assembled. Right place right time.

Clarkson can thank Terry Wallace for allowing him to reach greatness..

Tambling/Deledio

To quote Wallace "we are very happy to grab the best 2 kids in the draft"

at least get your facts right, we beat port in the PF lol
love how every time we win a flag theres always an excuse , now the best you can come up with is we havent had much of an oppo? LOLOL

guess since we took the VICHOMEBIAS away by winning away it has limited your bs excuses lol

Obviously is was the PF, thanks captain obvious.

You seriously think the Crows, who came from nowhere, a beaten up GWS and a perennially choking Geelong made for much opponents?

It's pathetic your lot let Geelong get out to a 22 point lead in the first place.

Port's probably the only tough opponent you've drawn on the way to a flag. The other time you got a good opponent you got dominated by an American who grew up playing other sports...

Obviously is was the PF, thanks captain obvious.

You seriously think the Crows, who came from nowhere, a beaten up GWS and a perennially choking Geelong made for much opponents?

It's pathetic your lot let Geelong get out to a 22 point lead in the first place.

Port's probably the only tough opponent you've drawn on the way to a flag. The other time you got a good opponent you got dominated by an American who grew up playing other sports...
I can do that too by saying that your team won the 2018 Premiership on the basis of beating a 5-8 side in Melbourne (who came out of nowhere) and Collingwood, who are notorious for choking in the Grand Final. It’s pathetic that your lot even let Collingwood get out to a 29-point lead in the Grand Final.

I actually don’t believe that this was the case but this is how you sound like.

Clarkson can thank Terry Wallace for allowing him to reach greatness..

Tambling/Deledio

To quote Wallace "we are very happy to grab the best 2 kids in the draft"
Tambling was an inspired choice.

Sanchez cup and Delideo aside, imagine if we had picked Buddy, and in 2009 he would have been the difference in one of our 16 losses, 2 under 8pts and a draw, therefore not ending up with third pick in the ND and grabbing Dusty.

Buddy wouldn't have helped our list to a flag, but the AFL would have still found a way to get him to the Swans

I will raise my next beer to Tambo whilst rewatching our last 3 flags on DVD

I am really interested to see how Clarko goes coaching over the next few years with this list. He is an all time great, but he had the benefit of one of the best lists ever assembled. Right place right time.

Clarko built that list himself. Now he has to do it again.

Hahaha, after you lot made us nervous in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back