Prediction Clarkson v Hardwick - Who will have the greater legacy with the Suns and North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Dimma signing today, it's going to be fascinating to watch who will enjoy more success at their new teams.

Clarkson - 4 flags, 5 GF's
Dimma - 3 flags

If the footy whispers are to be believed, Clarko had the opportunity to take the Suns job at the end of 21, but chose to take a year off. Fast forward ten years, it's now their choice of their next club that will perhaps prove the most interesting reflection.

Kangaroos have an emerging young midfield, a potentially outstanding draft hand - but a dearth of young KPPs.

Gold Coast have a somewhat less talented young midfield, but are potentially the only team with a better draft hand this year than the Kangaroos - with arguably the best young KPF duo in the comp to emerge from next year.

How will history judge the two after their tenure with their new clubs?

Gold Coast aren't currently in a rebuild.
North Melbourne are.

Will be interesting to see which team becomes a genuine contender first, though. Gold Coast aren't in a rebuild but their current ceiling seems to be a middle of the road type team. Not sure they have enough elite youngsters coming through that you can point at and say "Yes, these players can be pivotal in a premiership team".

North are starting from a lot further back.

I rate what Clarkson has done to date (i.e. at their original clubs) slightly higher than Hardwick as he has the extra flag, got his first flag quicker and had to almost do a second mini rebuild for 2 distinct periods of success.

But Clarkson has the far harder job now. No team in AFL history has ever had as bad a 4 years as North have just had. They've won only 9 of their last 81 games (and 4 of their last 49). Gold Coast, meanwhile - have won 9 this season. In others words, Gold Coast have won the same number of games in less than 1 season as North have in effectively their last 4 seasons combined! (this excludes Round 1 and 2, 2020 - prior to the wheels falling off).

Not only that, but the Gold Coast also have exclusive discounted access to a top 3 draft prospect and 2 more top 15 prospects! If Walter slips past Hawthorn (I doubt it but academy tied players often slide), Gold Coast could effectively net 4 top 15 draft prospects to North's 1, after already stating with a far stronger list.

In short, Hardwick is perfectly positioned to lift his team to finals for the first time whilst Clarkson has his work cut out just to make North competitive and get out of the bottom 2 for the first time in half a decade.

Right now the most important person at North is the list manager. Likely getting pick 1.... will they get a priority pick?? possibly?? Also could manage a decent compo pick for McKay... North could have 4 top 20 picks in the draft conceivably....

Suns should've been finals bound 2 years ago... was it Stewie KFC Mountain Dew just wasn't good enough or was it just the whole culture of the joint that if Hardwick can change then that's a big tick. But being given the keys to a strong (extended) list, a pure home ground advantage, and AFL $$$$'s I'd say he's got a leg up already over Clarko.

Clarkson if he can get North back into consistent finals and a challenger again within the next 3-4 years regardless of premierships will have a far better legacy.

I rate what Clarkson has done to date (i.e. at their original clubs) slightly higher than Hardwick as he has the extra flag, got his first flag quicker and had to almost do a second mini rebuild for 2 distinct periods of success.

But Clarkson has the far harder job now. No team in AFL history has ever had as bad a 4 years as North have just had. They've won only 9 of their last 81 games (and 4 of their last 49). Gold Coast, meanwhile - have won 9 this season. In others words, Gold Coast have won the same number of games in less than 1 season as North have in effectively their last 4 seasons combined! (this excludes Round 1 and 2, 2020 - prior to the wheels falling off).

Not only that, but the Gold Coast also have exclusive discounted access to a top 3 draft prospect and 2 more top 15 prospects! If Walter slips past Hawthorn (I doubt it but academy tied players often slide), Gold Coast could effectively net 4 top 15 draft prospects to North's 1, after already stating with a far stronger list.

In short, Hardwick is perfectly positioned to lift his team to finals for the first time whilst Clarkson has his work cut out just to make North competitive and get out of the bottom 2 for the first time in half a decade.

North will walk away with 4 of the top 16 of this draft.

Clarko will have the stronger legacy at North.

Dimma will have the stronger legacy at Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back