Is it too soon to say i told you so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, you need to recognise momentum shifts and the impact they have on the course of a game.

We shouldn't have been four goals down at half time to start with, and again, Kurtly's kicking had a fair say in that.

Yeah otherwise it would have been 7.

His kicking isnt where we'd like, no s**t. Hes the only forward we have who can impose himself on a game. The alternative is no mark and the ball comes straight out. If we had someone who could get in the position to have several shots per game (with better accuracy) you may have a point. Right now the next best option is tex- he sprays as many kicks as tippett, and isnt half the threat overhead. Its quite simple really, whats better, 3.3 or 0.2?

Again, you need to recognise momentum shifts and the impact they have on the course of a game.

We shouldn't have been four goals down at half time to start with, and again, Kurtly's kicking had a fair say in that.

Without Tippett in the side, we're more than four goals down at half time.

Again, you can talk about him missing shifting the momentum, but without him in there, we would have fewer shots on goals, and more times where the ball goes down the other end and the other team scores the goal, which hurts our momentum at least as much.

Tippett's kicking is an issue. It's not as big an issue as people make out of it, but it is an issue. He's not a super forward, entirely because of this single issue. He is still a very good forward and we're lucky to have him.

Tippett's kicking is an issue. It's not as big an issue as people make out of it, but it is an issue.

Its a massive issue. Anyone who thinks its not, is fooling themselves. His misses on Sunday were absolutely critical in the context of the game. You can have the best backline and midfield going around, but if your key forward wastes opportunities in front of goal, you lose games.

On Sunday the problem was exacerbated by Walker and Vinces brain fades, and are equally to blame for our predicament on Sunday.

If we had gone in at half time even or in front the game would have had a completely different complexion. We put Hawthorns foot on our own throat.

Whether he looks awkward, drops the ball too high or whatever is not the issue here. He kicks these goals at practice and even in the warm up. The issue is between the ears.

Is it mental because he's a crap kick, or is he a crap kick because it's mental?

Excuse me while I grab a coffee.

There's a huge psychological component to set shots, I agree. But he also is a very poor kick, technically.

Shaq never had a problem between his ears, yet he was a very poor free throw shooter for most of his career.

And yeah, Stab, I admire you downplaying it. If I was Sanderson I'd publicly be doing the same thing ( while privately vowing to keep Balfours Boy no less than 45m away from goal at all times).

The thing is, telling Kurt it's a problem is going to make it worse. And forcing him to nail 1000 shots at training won't help either, other than convince him he can't do it when it matters (exactly what Wood Duck was referring to).

The best we can hope for is that he has more good days than bad, and to try and minimise the damage by playing him up the ground.

Someday, somewhere, it might stop being a problem in his head and that might fix some of it. But it won't stop until we let him forget it, and he wont forget it if he's under constant scrutiny every week being our major target.

3 and 1, with a nab cup under the belt.

Things are looking good.

Would still back in a average nab cup, injury list and a 2 and 2 start.

I get the feeling I have seen this all before. When Bickley took over from NC you could see the fire in the belly had returned but the enthusiasm died away pretty quickly by seasons end. Then this year they came out against Carlton in the nab all fired up and tackling like no tomorrow, winning the MMC and looking forward to round 1.........Ok we're sitting 3 and 1 but is anyone singing our praises with wins against the expansion clubs and WB ??
We were cleaned up good and proper against Hawthorn and showed that there is something lacking in the squad, whether its a confidence issue or leadership or lack of experience but the worrying aspect is the 22 picked for that game were the best 22 we could have selected.
After this week we have a tough run and I'm not confident we will do well against quality, we seem to be winding down to a crawl and it's all starting to look familiar.

Perhaps it was never about Neil!

I get the feeling I have seen this all before. When Bickley took over from NC you could see the fire in the belly had returned but the enthusiasm died away pretty quickly by seasons end. Then this year they came out against Carlton in the nab all fired up and tackling like no tomorrow, winning the MMC and looking forward to round 1.........Ok we're sitting 3 and 1 but is anyone singing our praises with wins against the expansion clubs and WB ??
We were cleaned up good and proper against Hawthorn and showed that there is something lacking in the squad, whether its a confidence issue or leadership or lack of experience but the worrying aspect is the 22 picked for that game were the best 22 we could have selected.
After this week we have a tough run and I'm not confident we will do well against quality, we seem to be winding down to a crawl and it's all starting to look familiar.

Perhaps it was never about Neil!

You do make some good points. There has been something lacking there for a while.
The Hawthorn game is a tough one. I really do believe that we wouldve lost by only the 3 or 4 goal mark (which wouldve been a pass mark for mine) if Kurt kicked straight. He missed in crucial situations and it was really deflating when he did.
The leadership is a big one, since Roo we havent had a leader that will carry the team on his back, led by example forcing those around to follow. VanBerlo is a Triggy love child for mine. Clean cut, presents well, says all the right things around the club and too the media. But is he the sort of bloke that can lift the team on the park. I really dont think so.
Dangerfield has that potential about him but we'll see.

You say maybe it wasnt just Neil Craig. Does thins mean you think it could be a cultural issue at the club?
Even if that was the case shouldnt it be the coach that inspires his players to turn the corner? Win those close games and bust their arses for the guernsey?

Craigy was well past his used by date. He couldnt inspire anymore. The group needed change. I dont think you can expect Sando to change those problems in 6 months, it will defs take nearly a season. But for mine all of the early signs are there that he could be the one to do it.

I've always thought the coaches role was over rated and that the teams success depended more on the on field performance than the off field tactics. Looking at Geelong last season....did they really need a coach?
I think Chris Scott would be the first to admit his role was redundant and his contribution would've been limited to preparation only and trying not to get in their way. The players were the coaches and that only comes with experience. We are not there by a long way.

As for the club culture we do tend to draft players according to their "Bring home to meet mum" factor. If your grand mother likes him (our captain for one) he is more likely to be a Crow than someone who has more talent but may be a little tougher to deal with. Good teams need mongrel and while we have a few players that have this quality the majority look like something out of a Mormon revival#.

#Not to expunge the virtue of an AFL team from Utah.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought the coaches role was over rated and that the teams success depended more on the on field performance than the off field tactics. Looking at Geelong last season....did they really need a coach?
I think Chris Scott would be the first to admit his role was redundant and his contribution would've been limited to preparation only and trying not to get in their way. The players were the coaches and that only comes with experience. We are not there by a long way.
Chris Scott 2011 may not have had a major impact on what was already a pretty amazing team but you have to consider what went before.

If the coaching, selection, game plan, recruiting, drafting, off field structure... all the facets that make up a good team have been done right, basically you've built a successful machine and the role of the coach comes down to monitoring/maintenance.

Once you get to that stage then yes, the actual coaching on a particular day plays less of a role. Getting to that stage though...

As for the club culture we do tend to draft players according to their "Bring home to meet mum" factor. If your grand mother likes him (our captain for one) he is more likely to be a Crow than someone who has more talent but may be a little tougher to deal with. Good teams need mongrel and while we have a few players that have this quality the majority look like something out of a Mormon revival#.

#Not to expunge the virtue of an AFL team from Utah.:D

Fantastic point

I think that was certainly the case while Craig was coach. I'm not so sure that it remains club policy now that Sanderson has taken over.

The players recruited under Sando were all tough ball winner types, as distinct from the stringbean marathon runners that Craig preferred. Craig certainly placed an emphasis on character. I'm fairly certain that Sando wants a bit more mongrel in his team.

I think that was certainly the case while Craig was coach. I'm not so sure that it remains club policy now that Sanderson has taken over.

The players recruited under Sando were all tough ball winner types, as distinct from the stringbean marathon runners that Craig preferred. Craig certainly placed an emphasis on character. I'm fairly certain that Sando wants a bit more mongrel in his team.

Which of the following players would you classify as string bean runners, Tippett, Jacobs, Henderson, Dangerfield, Otten, Jaensch, Wright, Petrenko, Sloane, Walker, Davis, Mckernan, Thompson and Talia.

Whilst Gunston, Shaw, Smith and Lyons were pretty slim when they were recruited, they look pretty good now.

Which of the following players would you classify as string bean runners, Tippett, Jacobs, Henderson, Dangerfield, Otten, Jaensch, Wright, Petrenko, Sloane, Walker, Davis, Mckernan, Thompson and Talia.

Whilst Gunston, Shaw, Smith and Lyons were pretty slim when they were recruited, they look pretty good now.

Smacks the one that have mongrel in him though.

Henderson, Otten, Jaensch, Wright, Sloane, Walker, Davis & McKernan all went close to fitting the bill when they were drafted. OK.. Walker wasn't much of a runner - but he's done an awful lot of work in that area and is now one of our best endurance athletes (even if he is as slow as treacle in a dead sprint). Henderson & McKernan are classic examples of drafting athletes where football ability was secondary (Hendo was a basketballer, McKernan is a spectator).

I was also thinking of players like VB, Griffin (who still can't add muscle to his frame), Meesen, Curnow, Kite, Mackay (still underweight), Cook & Shaw.

Sanderson will need to be patient as this group needs changing as I am sure he is aware. They clearly lack fire in the belly and so he needs to trade . Walker and Vince are very talented but that is where it finishes - both are party boys who show no signs of growing up in Adelaide - they need their arse kicked. When will they grow up?
Our players are not hungry enough so we need to find more kids who have some mongrel - the recipe needs to change. Sloane has been outstanding and so is Dangerfield. Henderson is scared and has limited field vision - trade him. Tippett is too good to trade - improve his kicking. Jacobs is outstanding.
Rutten is gone now-. Need pace and hardness in defence. Johncock is outstanding but has probably 2 years max left.
Sanderson will need plenty of time - he probably will be good but give him time.Craig was outstanding but Trigg is no good. With stronger leadership around Craig he would still be there.I hope for Adelaide's sake they can see Trigg for what he is - a front runner bureaucrat and get rid of him. Adelaide will go nowhere while he stays there.

Sanderson will need to be patient as this group needs changing as I am sure he is aware. They clearly lack fire in the belly and so he needs to trade . Walker and Vince are very talented but that is where it finishes - both are party boys who show no signs of growing up in Adelaide - they need their arse kicked. When will they grow up?
Our players are not hungry enough so we need to find more kids who have some mongrel - the recipe needs to change. Sloane has been outstanding and so is Dangerfield. Henderson is scared and has limited field vision - trade him. Tippett is too good to trade - improve his kicking. Jacobs is outstanding.
Rutten is gone now-. Need pace and hardness in defence. Johncock is outstanding but has probably 2 years max left.
Sanderson will need plenty of time - he probably will be good but give him time.Craig was outstanding but Trigg is no good. With stronger leadership around Craig he would still be there.I hope for Adelaide's sake they can see Trigg for what he is - a front runner bureaucrat and get rid of him. Adelaide will go nowhere while he stays there.

Brilliant posting...

What exactly do you expect from Walker? Can you please tell me a better KPF who is around his age? He is not even 22 yet, has played under 50 games

So your solution is to fire Trigg, Trade Henderson, Walker, Vince... Brilliant strategy, but then there is the cherry on the cake... 'Improve Tippett's kicking'.... I like it...

I love your ideas.. however, they are a bit too complex for me...I think Sanderson should just tell the boys to kick more goals than the other team every week!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back