Is Luke Shuey an 'A' grader

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he'd be a top 3 midfielder in every side I can think of. I don't know what A grade is but he's bloody good. Don't hear or see as much of him being in Perth.
Not Sydney. Hannebery, Parker and Kennedy are all better.
Shuey's very good. A lot better than Jack Steven IMO.

Umm..... No
Their 2016s were very identical, even statistically so you could make a case that as of today right now they'd have the same output. Sloane maybe has had a more consistent career. How many grandfinals has Sloane played in :)

Not for mine. He is largely ineffective, and tends to just hack the ball forward - without giving the forwards the best possible chance of marking it. This is why Simpson recruited Mitchell. WC need to be more effective going forward. Shuey a B grader at present - with the potential to make it to A grade.

Have you even watched him play?
He is a prety accurate and solid kick.
There is a reason JJK won the Coleman.

And 'That is why Simpson recruited Mitchell'!?
Clarkson offloaded Mitchell onto us - it was no great recruiting strategy of Simmo.

0 All-Australians, 1 BnF. Probably hasn't done enough to be considered an A-grader yet.

I'd have Sloane, Beams, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Gray, Martin, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell, Bontempelli all ahead of him. And then there's Rockliff, Cripps, Treloar, Merrett, Heppell, Neale, Coniglio, Shiel, Steven, Cotchin, Priddis who are also around the same level and you could argue a few of them would be ahead of Shuey too. Does being an arguable top 20 mid in the competition make you A-grade? Probably not.

I think Shuey would easily get a game at every other club.

If he had a deeper midfield to operate in, his overall output would be higher. That's not exactly his fault.

I expect him to be better in 2017 than his 2016, whenever Sam Mitchell is on the park at the same time.

Every B grade player would get a game at every club. Its hardly an accolade. For me, Shuey sits in that bracket between the best of the best and the best of the rest. He's no Danger/Fyfe/GAJ/Bont, but he's better than the likes of Murphy/Shiels/Cunnington.

I agree he gets a game at any club on stats, only seen him at Spotless last year and he looked good then.
WC supporters seem pretty realistic in general and unaminous on his one so I'm gonna agree with the proposition.

I agree he gets a game at any club on stats, only seen him at Spotless last year and he looked good then.
WC supporters seem pretty realistic in general and unaminous on his one so I'm gonna agree with the proposition.
I disagree. Shuey is the type that has got in the low 20 disposals end and has had big or close to bog games. Also that game you referred to was his best game so far and it was the first time he looked like a danger, Fyfe, Ablett and etc type. Imo he needs to have a few more of them to be classified elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. Shuey is the type that has got in the low 20 disposals end and has had big or close to bog games. Also that game you referred to was his best game so far and it was the first time he looked like a danger, Fyfe, Ablett and etc type. Imo he needs to have a few more of them to be classified elite.
Will defer

Not for mine. He is largely ineffective, and tends to just hack the ball forward - without giving the forwards the best possible chance of marking it.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Josh J Kennedy would absolutely crack up in your face. How many Eagles games did you watch last year?

I think he qualifies, but has probably been helped a fair bit by Nic Nat and so the loss of him and addition of Mitchell will be interesting.

Needs to cut the knee dropping and head throwing from his game especially if the umpires officiate that correctly with the rule change.
This used to frustrate me no end. He rarely does it nowadays (once from memory late last year against GWS as we were making the come back - slotted the goal and I felt kinda uneasy/guilty, but then got over it within a second or two :p ).

Far more players do it far more often than Shuey. Hopefully this will be out of the game for good with the new high-contact rule interpretation.

FWIW, I reckon he would be in the top 15-20 midfielders in the competition. The definition of elite, A-grader etc. is subjective and hence open to arguments at cross-purposes (ie. an inefficient argument). The mids who are ahead of him are those considered universally to be elite - Fyfe, Gray, Dangerfield, Shiel etc.

It's interesting to note that the West Coast Eagles rated him as their best player in 2016 with the John Worsfold Medal, while the umpires clearly preferred Gaff (equal 5th in the Brownlow despite missing 2 games and being sub-par for a couple more after Jonas tried to knock off his head).

This says to me he is on the rise and with more consistency, he will be universally acknowledged as an A-grader.

Last edited:
I'd say you probably need an AA jumper before you're in the mix to be called an A-grader, so no. If you call Shuey an A-grader, then what is Fyfe? A+ doesn't properly illustrate the gap between those two, so I'd call Shuey a B or B+.

Their 2016s were very identical, even statistically so you could make a case that as of today right now they'd have the same output. Sloane maybe has had a more consistent career. How many grandfinals has Sloane played in :)

How many Eagles players have? I don't recall many actually turning up.

The * is an A-grader anyway?

Are Fyfe and Dangerfield A-graders? A+? AAA?

Here is a Bell curve.

standard-normal-distribution.jpg

Shuey belongs in the bracket of 1-2 standard deviations above average where 13.6% of players belong. That makes him roughly a top 100 player and top 25 midfielder if you say every team has 10 midfielders.

Interestingly (to nerds mainly) if you apply this to the total player pool (~800) you end up with brackets of:

Worst player in comp: 1
Very poor: 17
Poor: 109
Average to below average: 273
Average to above average: 273
Good: 109
Very good: 17
Best player in comp: 1

I'd say you probably need an AA jumper before you're in the mix to be called an A-grader, so no. If you call Shuey an A-grader, then what is Fyfe? A+ doesn't properly illustrate the gap between those two, so I'd call Shuey a B or B+.

How many Eagles players have? I don't recall many actually turning up.
Sam Butler :)

I'd have him just below an A grader at the minute, though I think he's getting pretty close.

One thing I'm starting to notice about him is that he is beginning to lift in the big games, which could be a great thing for the club. He had some massive games at very important times for us last year, and was one of about 5 people to show up on grand final day a couple years ago. He doesn't ever really pig it up against weaker opposition, and never pads up his stats with cheap possessions (don't know if this is a good or bad thing - probably a good thing structurally for the side).

If him and Gaff can keep their natural progression going, it could be ominous signs for the rest of the comp. I see Gaff as the one with more upside - I think he could become the best outside player in the competition, if he's not already. He was flying before he got knocked out in round 9, and finished the year off with 38, 41 and 35. With Shuey and Mitchell holding these two to very high standards in the next few years, it could see us develop a steeliness that we definitely didn't have last year or even 2015. That midfield 4 combined with Nic Nat has claims to being the best in the comp imo. Anyway, enough of the tangent...

Shuey has been helped A LOT by Nic Nat imo. Those line breaking runs he makes are almost always off the back of a Nic Nat tap that is as good as a handball, where Shuey can literally sprint in one direction and be smacked on the nipple with the pill. But in saying that, not many players have the speed, tackle breaking prowess, and ability to hit targets at full speed on both sides of the body like Shuey does. If he can raise his consistency to a point where he's having these <25 possy only once a month or so, then I think he comfortably an A grader. But for now, I don't think he stacks up to the proper A grade midfielders of the comp.

Better than Neale

Well that's no contest because Shuey can actually kick.

On topic he's worked hard at his game to be able to beat a tag which he's previously struggled with. He's also been cutting back on the ducking the head free kicks which he's known for.

Not as good as a Sloane and needs to string together another year like last year before he can even be considered for the 'A' grade midfielders in the comp.

He's our most influential midfielder has a very high impact with his disposals. Duel sided, tracer bullet kicking and explosive. Hurts himself with a lack of production and tendency to go missing.

Not for mine. He is largely ineffective, and tends to just hack the ball forward - without giving the forwards the best possible chance of marking it. This is why Simpson recruited Mitchell. WC need to be more effective going forward. Shuey a B grader at present - with the potential to make it to A grade.

Ineffective? Have you ever seen the NN, to Shuey, to Kennedy run? If he was largely ineffective then Kennedy wouldn't be a dual coleman medalist. There are some ineffectives in our midfield, but Shuey is definitely not one of them. We also didn't recruit Mitchell so he can deliver effective kicks to our forwards, Hawks unloaded us to him, and if anything, I see Mitchell hand balling it to Shuey instead of kicking it forward. You just got no clue to be honest.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back