Is Luke Shuey an 'A' grader

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey is well ahead of Hunter buddy, he's more similar to Gaff in style than he is Shuey.

You understand this entire thread is subjective based on opinions? I was comparing Hunter's statistical output to Shuey's statistical outputs.

One's opinion of what constitutes an a grader doesn't imply that everyone else must hold the same standard and judge to that level

You understand this entire thread is subjective based on opinions? I was comparing Hunter's statistical output to Shuey's statistical outputs.

One's opinion of what constitutes an a grader doesn't imply that everyone else must hold the same standard and judge to that level
It was a pointless comparison as they are such different types of players.

It was a pointless comparison as they are such different types of players.

They are both midfield players nonetheless. But nitpick if you must, as I stated Hunter was SIMILAR to Sheuy in a FEW stat areas

Watch the GWS game from last year. We trailed by 23 points at three quarter time, away to a team that was top 2 at the time, Shuey's last quarter:
14 possessions
6 clearances
2 goals

Was one of the main driving forces we won that game.

Just one example of how he has lifted.

No doubt. He has improved in the bigger games. Now he has to do it consistently to be considered A grade / elite.

that is the challenge for a developing footballer.

Luke Shuey has pretty similar stats to Bonti. Either Bonti is ridiculously overrated or Shuey is ridiculously underrated.

Luke Shuey has pretty similar stats to Bonti. Either Bonti is ridiculously overrated or Shuey is ridiculously underrated.

One might look at the paper stats between a number of players and say - person ABC says player X is elite, but on those stats I just dont see it in comparison to player Y who is not classed elite but similar in numbers on paper. Its all in the perspective of who is looking at the stats vs those who watch how the player actually plays on the field.

Raw stats do not tell the entire story and that can be argued for any player being compared.

One might look at the paper stats between a number of players and say - person ABC says player X is elite, but on those stats I just dont see it in comparison to player Y who is not classed elite but similar in numbers on paper. Its all in the perspective of who is looking at the stats vs those who watch how the player actually plays on the field.

Raw stats do not tell the entire story and that can be argued for any player being compared.

I was comparing Bonti's statistical output to Shuey's statistical outputs. Shuey is ahead, yet Bonti is an A grader apparently and Shuey not. Maybe Shuey needs a longer name and a bigger nose. Or maybe the hype around big Bonti is just that...hype. Maybe they both sit around 10-20 of midfielders, behind the stars like Fyfe, Danger, Selwood, Pendles and Steven who all, statistically, thump them.

Just below A-Grade for mine.

He's never had a 600 disposal season. Possessions aren't everything, but the best modern day mids in Ablett, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, etc. have all had over 600 disposals in at least 6 different years and all have reached over 700 disposals in a year. Swan being the only one to get over 800.

As I said, numbers aren't everything, but consistently getting over 600 disposals is a reasonable benchmark for the modern day A-grade mid.

I was comparing Bonti's statistical output to Shuey's statistical outputs. Shuey is ahead, yet Bonti is an A grader apparently and Shuey not. Maybe Shuey needs a longer name and a bigger nose. Or maybe the hype around big Bonti is just that...hype. Maybe they both sit around 10-20 of midfielders, behind the stars like Fyfe, Danger, Selwood, Pendles and Steven who all, statistically, thump them.

Perhaps you could come up with a structured argument to back your claims rather than the typical rhetoric. On the flipside, this thread is about rating Shuey which most contributors have done.

Alternatively if you're adamant in your argument, there is the polls board to discuss in context.

He's never had a 600 disposal season. Possessions aren't everything, but the best modern day mids in Ablett, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury, etc. have all had over 600 disposals in at least 6 different years and all have reached over 700 disposals in a year. Swan being the only one to get over 800.

As I said, numbers aren't everything, but consistently getting over 600 disposals is a reasonable benchmark for the modern day A-grade mid.

4 disposals away from 600 so he's not an A grader? Roger that.

Perhaps you could come up with a structured argument to back your claims rather than the typical rhetoric. On the flipside, this thread is about rating Shuey which most contributors have done.

Alternatively if you're adamant in your argument, there is the polls board to discuss in context.

You compared Hunter to Shuey on stats.
I compared Bonti to Shuey on stats and then rated them both somewhere between 10 and 20 of the mids. Whether that's elite or not, who knows. Probably not. There's probably 40 good mids so I suppose they'd both be considered solid B graders. On output as opposed to reputation and hype.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are always degrees of everything. That's why sport is won or lost by a matter of inches. Short is short.

The others I mention hsve all done it at least 6 times.

Shuey hasn't done it once.
Luke Shuey kicks goals, an underrated skill in a game where scoring goals wins flags. He has well over 100 goals, where as for example both Steven and Sloane are well under 100 goals at about the same stages in their careers.

I'd trade 3 or 4 touches a game for 6-7 extra goals a year from a mid any day.

Luke Shuey kicks goals, an underrated skill in a game where scoring goals wins flags. He has well over 100 goals, where as for example both Steven and Sloane are well under 100 goals at about the same stages in their careers.

Fair comment. I've always rated goal-kicking mids.

I think people used to have a view on shuey that he was more of an outside player that relied on NN and Priddis. people are yet to catch on that he has totally transformed his game into powerful inside mid.

Another issue for me is that he doesn't turn mid 20 disposal games into 30 disposal games or turn his 30 disposal games into high 30 possession games. He maxes out around 30. elite players tend to turn low 30 possession games into mid to high 30 possession games on a regular basis.

That's true but last year Steven and Bonti kicked more goals than Shuey

That's true but last year Steven and Bonti kicked more goals than Shuey

Shuey has Kennedy. Pretty useless to compare the two. If Stevens and Bont had the best goal kicker in the game to serve it to (no Saints or Dogs forward is in the top 10) you can guarantee their goal output would be less.

Last edited:
Well der haha but you'd probably find some bone heads on here that look at the stats and go. Yep. 35 touches he is a gun
was me when i was 14. But when i see grown men do that, i laugh. Its like this gronk on foxfooty fb page trying to convince everyone that ryder and hickey is better than naitanui.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back