Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
We have picked up some exciting players in the draft acquired Tom Boyd and got a good captain now in Murph and a good potential coach in Luke Beveridge. If we develop these players well I really believe I can see us really become regular finals contenders and hopefully get that flag.

Yes we have had our setbacks but I rather take the path of believing that will get there rather than think it won't happen.

our best 5 players 23 and under are Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Lbba and Boyd. All have shown a heap bar Boyd who would have been rated the best prospect as little as a year ago. We then have excellent quality in Campbell, Wallis, Hrovat, Smith and Dahlhaus. Our next rung of players imo LIKELY to come along are JJ, Stevens, Roughead, Talia, Roberts, Hunter and Jong.

That's a lot of good kids.

If a few of those more speculative types come along and we end up nailing a few from this draft, we'll be in it up to our eyeballs for a few years. These are both things likely to happen

our best 5 players 23 and under are Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Lbba and Boyd. All have shown a heap bar Boyd who would have been rated the best prospect as little as a year ago. We then have excellent quality in Campbell, Wallis, Hrovat, Smith and Dahlhaus. Our next rung of players imo LIKELY to come along are JJ, Stevens, Roughead, Talia, Roberts, Hunter and Jong.

That's a lot of good kids.

If a few of those more speculative types come along and we end up nailing a few from this draft, we'll be in it up to our eyeballs for a few years. These are both things likely to happen

It is good to be optimistic but we should also be realistic in our assessments of our players and where they are at.

Yes, we have some exciting young players such as Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Libba and Boyd, and I think that Wallis and Dalhaus certainly deserved to be mentioned along with that group.

Whilst Campbell, Hrovat and Smith have all shown potential, they still have a fair way to go to before they can say they have established themselves at AFL level. We should let them prove it before we start crowing about how good they are.

I also wouldn't be referring to players like Stevens and Roughead as kids. They should be close to their playing prime.

Our future is certainly a lot brighter now that we have changed coaching direction (it was frighteningly grim beforehand), but we lost a lot of ground during the McCartney years and it will take a lot of hard work to get back up to where we want to be.

We have a good young list but still it looks unbalanced with a lack of key position players, will we be relying on ruckman to fill in forward and back again next year ?

never seen the club with a better group of youngsters, the key will be keeping them all happy so they all want to stay

YES

Keys: keep all youngsters, develop them correctly, keep drafting well and keep adding to the list and get another decent tall to partner Boyd.

I am still trying to get my head around what was at the very least
an interesting off season. Nostradamus could not have foreseen
the events that were happening right in front of my eyes. From
the desperate lows to the euphoric highs the tide of emotion
swept up the football club and carried it like a tissue in a cyclone.
Mistakes were made and must be learnt from to avoid history
repeating and give the young group we have the chance to
walk in the sunshine down the path to future glory.

It is good to be optimistic but we should also be realistic in our assessments of our players and where they are at.

Yes, we have some exciting young players such as Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Libba and Boyd, and I think that Wallis and Dalhaus certainly deserved to be mentioned along with that group.

Whilst Campbell, Hrovat and Smith have all shown potential, they still have a fair way to go to before they can say they have established themselves at AFL level. We should let them prove it before we start crowing about how good they are.

I also wouldn't be referring to players like Stevens and Roughead as kids. They should be close to their playing prime.

Our future is certainly a lot brighter now that we have changed coaching direction (it was frighteningly grim beforehand), but we lost a lot of ground during the McCartney years and it will take a lot of hard work to get back up to where we want to be.
I disagree we've lost much ground under b mac. This was a time where the was fantastic development for a lot of these kids. Although what happened this off season with the captain was definitely a step back, hence the removal of the coach.

I'll concede that some of the kids I'm really confident in some see as speculative. Hrovat hasn't stepped a foot wrong though especially for mine and for TC it's all about finding a role, he's a gun.

All in all, we'll be right if bevo unifies the group and makes the club a happy place

I disagree we've lost much ground under b mac. This was a time where the was fantastic development for a lot of these kids. Although what happened this off season with the captain was definitely a step back, hence the removal of the coach.

I'll concede that some of the kids I'm really confident in some see as speculative. Hrovat hasn't stepped a foot wrong though especially for mine and for TC it's all about finding a role, he's a gun.

All in all, we'll be right if bevo unifies the group and makes the club a happy place

I just think people need to keep things in perspective.

Hrovat has been OK when in the team but he certainly wasn't an automatic selection, and we can't forget that we were a bottom 5 team. Similarly with Tom Cambell, he is 23 but played only 7 games last year and in them averaged less than 7 disposals. Of course it is reasonable to hope they (and/or other young players) both show genuine improvement and establish themselves this year but it shouldn't be considered a certain outcome.

If you can't see that we lost ground under McCartney, then I'm not sure what sort of performance drop or player exodus could ever make you concede lost ground. The last three years were a disaster. The only silver lining is that we got a few early draft picks as compensation.

A winning football club is a happy place. A losing football club is never a happy place, at least not for very long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hrovat has been OK when in the team but he certainly wasn't an automatic selection, and we can't forget that we were a bottom 5 team. Similarly with Tom Cambell, he is 23 but played only 7 games last year and in them averaged less than 7 disposals. Of course it is reasonable to hope they (and/or other young players) both show genuine improvement and establish themselves this year but it shouldn't be considered a certain outcome.

If you can't see that we lost ground under McCartney, then I'm not sure what sort of performance drop or player exodus could ever make you concede lost ground. The last three years were a disaster. The only silver lining is that we got a few early draft picks as compensation.

A winning football club is a happy place. A losing football club is never a happy place, at least not for very long.
I've conceded that both Campbell and hrovat being highly likely to be good long term players is my opinion and that it isn't a certainty.

I conceded that the exodus hurt us.

Maybe you can make a concession that there was some fantastic junior development in the McCartney era and that our best 5-7 young kids compares very favourably to out non expansion club competition. This is cause for a bit of positivity and admitting that there is some positive to take out of the last 3 years. Just a little concession proffy

Having said that I'm a realist not a pessimist

I would also add - ensure you take time to look at and understand opposition lists.
Everyone would be bullish about their chances right at the moment off the back of the draft.
Its how the lists compare that should excite you, not the quality of players we have.

We could have a great list and game plan - but it will be beaten by a sensational list and game plan.
We could have a crap list but its going to beat crappier lists.

So as part of the analysis perhaps do some comaprisons with our exciting youngsters against exciting youngsters on other lists

Sorry professor
I felt bmac was in control of the levers and I could see exactly where we were headed
After talking to people who know him, I think he was a humorless hard arse who can be unforgiving

But I have no doubt about his knowledge and commitment

I now worry whether beveridge has the leadership skills. Anyone can acquiesce to player demands and stay popular - let's see whether he can implement a coherent vision

I've conceded that both Campbell and hrovat being highly likely to be good long term players is my opinion and that it isn't a certainty.

I conceded that the exodus hurt us.

Maybe you can make a concession that there was some fantastic junior development in the McCartney era and that our best 5-7 young kids compares very favourably to out non expansion club competition. This is cause for a bit of positivity and admitting that there is some positive to take out of the last 3 years. Just a little concession proffy

Having said that I'm a realist not a pessimist

I'll concede that McCartney's reign didn't stifle all player development during the last three years. Thank goodness.
However, I won't concede that McCartney's youth focused approach will make us better in the future than we would have been otherwise, in my opinion the club is in a significantly worse position as a result of his tenure.

Teams around us top 5 talented kids 23 and under:

Melb: Petracca, Brayshaw, Tyson, Hogan, T McDonald

Us: Libba, macrae, bonts, stringer, Boyd

Stk: mccartin, billings, Goddard, Dunstan, Mckenzie

Brisbane: Mayes, aish, Taylor, Gardiner, Clarke

Important oversights are that we commenced our rebuild a year earlier than stk and several years after Melbourne and Brisbane. Brisbane and Melbourne have a couple of guns at optimum age that we just lost. Brisbane especially. This is in line with the timing of their rebuild; invested in redden, rockliff and rich principally.

Our kids on that list have shown the most- no doubt, in fact I overlooked dahlhaus for Boyd who has is a higher perceived talent.

Our list of top end kids is nothing to sneer at. It speaks well of our recent recruiting and gives reason to be optimistic about this years crop.

We need to keep nailing picks and keep developing our youth well but with a new coach in there's no reason not to be optimistic from the outset. Footy is there to be enjoyed. If I didn't want to feel good things about my team I wouldn't register a bf account. Stunned that there are people who don't see it that way

I'll concede that McCartney's reign didn't stifle all player development during the last three years. Thank goodness.
However, I won't concede that McCartney's youth focused approach will make us better in the future than we would have been otherwise, in my opinion the club is in a significantly worse position as a result of his tenure.
Thanks for the concession. We'll never know on your hypothetical. I certainly won't argue that we're in the best position we could be after the exodus we had this off season

Yes, 100% we have some great young kids who can potentially move us up the ladder. Actually should move us up the ladder.

Yet the glaring weakness is a lack of dept and class in KPP.

The other glaring weakness is lack of experience in coaching and football department.

Look at the successfull clubs of the last few years. Look at the quality and experience across the board. We are not even close and this is a worry for me.

Teams around us top 5 talented kids 23 and under:

Melb: Petracca, Brayshaw, Tyson, Hogan, T McDonald

Us: Libba, macrae, bonts, stringer, Boyd

Stk: mccartin, billings, Goddard, Dunstan, Mckenzie

Brisbane: Mayes, aish, Taylor, Gardiner, Clarke

Important oversights are that we commenced our rebuild a year earlier than stk and several years after Melbourne and Brisbane. Brisbane and Melbourne have a couple of guns at optimum age that we just lost. Brisbane especially. This is in line with the timing of their rebuild; invested in redden, rockliff and rich principally.

Our kids on that list have shown the most- no doubt, in fact I overlooked dahlhaus for Boyd who has is a higher perceived talent.

Our list of top end kids is nothing to sneer at. It speaks well of our recent recruiting and gives reason to be optimistic about this years crop.

We need to keep nailing picks and keep developing our youth well but with a new coach in there's no reason not to be optimistic from the outset. Footy is there to be enjoyed. If I didn't want to feel good things about my team I wouldn't register a bf account. Stunned that there are people who don't see it that way

That's a great start to a good conversation that is. Understand you have looked at last 3 years of draft for those players. But is we are contending in three years we really need to analyse probably last 5 years.

I mean if probably have beams in lions best 6 in three years time.
Just one example.

May be something to look more into across jan when things not so busy,.

Gws and the Suns are am really the benchmark lists for youth and the 2017:2018 window.
But who knows who will remain by then

This is how I see the list so is there light or not ?

Mature players = Murphy Boyd Mino Morris Picken

A grade(guns)= Boyd Bonts Stringer Libba Mcrae

B grade = Wallis Dahl Crameri Wood JJ Hunter Darley

C grade = Grant Smith Roughead Stevens Campbell

Might make it = Roberts Honey Talia, Redpath, 2014 draftees

Won't make it = Hrovat Prudden Dickson Fuller Cordy Jong

So still nearly ten blokes on list IMO that are simply not up to it and never will be so still plenty work to be done but there is always light

And this list is where I think players will end their careers not where they are now

Last edited:
This is how I see the list so is there light or not ?

Mature players = Murphy Boyd Mino Morris Picken

A grade(guns)= Boyd Bonts Stringer Libba Mcrae

B grade = Wallis Dahl Crameri Wood JJ Hunter Darley

C grade = Grant Smith Roughead Stevens Campbell

Might make it = Roberts Honey Talia, Redpath, 2014 draftees

Won't make it = Hrovat Prudden Dickson Fuller Cordy Jong

So still nearly ten blokes on list IMO that are simply not up to it and never will be so still plenty work to be done but there is always light
Hrovat & Prudden you are writing off. Why? Using your system, 'might make it' is probably more accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back