Mystery Is the Universe a simulation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Westworld-Extra.png

In all seriousness, this is the one theory about our existence that for some reason holds a lot of weight with me.

I'm a pretty deep thinker (probably not 24/7 philosopher level), but I do like to think on a different level, which probably stems from my inquisitive nature. I like to know how things work/operate, the purpose for which they serve, and why it exists; which leads me to questioning and challenging many theories in life. One such question is of course our existence and what the meaning is behind it all.

My deciphering of this occurs on many different layers, most of which rely on mathematics, and scientific theories relating to relativity, quantum, and i'm sure many others built around the concept of physics.

The most peculiar thing about my interest in this is I never really held a major passion for mathematics or science in school, yet somehow my knowledge and interest began to grow in the years that followed - as if it was obtained based off my own life experiences. It's hard to explain - perhaps my love for numbers and statistics comes from Supercoach? ;)

I think the earliest I can ascertain as to why my interest piqued in theories about our existence was due to the many times I would experience what we call 'deja vu'. Whilst it doesn't happen as often now as it used to as when I was younger, I began to believe that it was tied in with our existence, and ultimately our own destiny (how loose or tight the theory of destiny/fate is I have no idea). Yep, a pre-determined path, a script, code, whatever you want to call it.

We all know the feeling; you're in a particular situation and you are overcome with the realisation of that very situation you are in. You may be undertaking a task, or in a conversation that you feel like you've experienced and undertaken before. The latter of which is where I experienced it more often. It's a feeling that i've never felt in my life anywhere else. I guess the closest way to describe it is if someone has thrown a bucket of ice cold water in your face whilst you're in a deep sleep, and you wake up in shock. Or as it you're blindfolded and it's quickly ripped off, leaving you blinded by the daylight, confused as you try to decipher what is happening at that current point in time. But it remains at just that; a feeling. You don't get a visual snapshot of the situation that occurs in the future per se, you are just overcome with this 'feeling' as you live out the situation. Could this be a sixth sense of sorts? Are you therefore time travelling into your future timeline without knowing it?

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but there have been moments where I have experienced 'deja vu' whilst having a conversation with an individual or group of people, and i've had the feeling wash over me having known of the piece of dialogue that has been spoken by one person at the exact moment they said it. Knowing that i'm in that moment of 'deja vu' I know it somehow extends to and ties in with the next piece of dialogue I respond with, so I go ahead and change up the immediate thought that comes into my mind about what I was going to say (operating on the notion that our dialogue, thoughts and actions are pre-determined based on 'deja vu') and I say something different, or in some cases I have just simply nodded (as long as it was in response to the other person's statement, and not a question so as to not look like a complete weirdo). Every time I have done so the feelings of 'deja vu' have disappeared almost immediately as the person responds with something or acts completely different to how I thought they would. I am left with that nagging feeling that the other person was supposed to react to my pre-determined dialogue in a particular way, but they can't because I have changed what I believe is a pre-determined situation. In doing so, have I altered time and my life's script?

If 'deja vu' extends from dreaming or having some sort of insight into a pre-determined situation later in your life, and i'm able to presumably alter it by acting different at the time of said situations, am I therefore re-writing my own destiny on a very small scale, or breaking some sort of code our lives are based and written? (giving the 'deja vu' situations have all been circumstantial and have never been moments in time that have had great meaning or weight in my own life/timeline). If there is any truth behind the theory of 'deja vu', how are our minds allowing us to peek through the fabric of time and space to get a 'feeling' or sense of something that is going to happen in the future? For what purpose does this serve? Black holes are commonly thought to have been the key to time travel. Is this all an extension of that? My thinking is it is merely a glitch in our existence.

The other big theories I am set upon extend from my thinking that there are many trends in life. These theories stem from relativity, cause and effect and yin and yang - which I believe are parts of a greater whole that play a substantial part in our existence and what it is founded upon. This extends across everything in our existence; everything has a beginning and an end, every positive has a negative, there is hot and cold/fire and ice, for every up there is a down, every in there is an out, anything that opens can also close, for anything that turns on can also turn off. Finally, nothing in life is perfect. There are always imperfections and differences - even in two of the same object that is replicated. Is this one of the most basic 'codes' upon which our existence is built in our day-to-day lives? Is this a fundamental 'code' that keeps us in check, or acts as parameters for our existence?

Are we all just figments of someone's creation? And for what purpose does our existence serve? Is it to strive for perfection, happiness... or is it ironically to solve the puzzle behind the meaning of it all on the path to something greater?

EDIT: Just in relation to trends; the other big trend that happened recently in 2016 which had me spooked relates to sport and the number of underdog teams that won major titles (here are just some: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/03/sport/underdogs-cubs-leciester-hibernian-puig-mardini/). If it were two or three teams you could pass it off as pure coincidence, but the sheer number of underdogs that won - all within the same timeframe - shows a trend/pattern that no one has been able to explain. Is this the 'code' in our existence trying to quickly create an equilibrium and balance up (yin and yang) the sporting landscape after years of the same strong/powerhouse teams winning?

Last edited:
There is pretty much coding everywhere.

The string theory they found coding that we developed back in the 40s

Our own DNA has computer coding.

This theory would lend to thought of a creator.
No it doesn't,it would dictate that there a certain laws that govern this particular universe.
Super symmetrical code as reasoned by James Gates isn't as widely recognised as you give it credit,given string theory has enormous flaws.

Theoretical physics is very cool.

No it doesn't,it would dictate that there a certain laws that govern this particular universe.
Super symmetrical code as reasoned by James Gates isn't as widely recognised as you give it credit,given string theory has enormous flaws.

Theoretical physics is very cool.

so does the jesuit sJ big 'bang theory', inbreding advocate 'darwin evolution', 'alien seeding' as start of life'

infact most theories are largely flawed and we still go with it

its still the best working model in its field

what superior theory in said field do you advocate if string theory is so questionable? i was of the understanding one of the modern theories that builds upon string theory was the most agreed upon currently. 21 dimensions and all

350px-AdS3.svg.png

TLDR: a theory having flaws doesnt mean s**t, it can still be the most popular with scientist/witchdoctor types

220px-Calabi_yau_formatted.svg.png

Last edited:
I wonder for the experiment to truly work if they should have released her without any noise and see if she self adjusted to responses.
Exactly. When they released Tay it was just bombarded on Twitter with taunts and ppl trying to provoke it anyway they could. It's no wonder the way it turned out.

Exactly. When they released Tay it was just bombarded on Twitter with taunts and ppl trying to provoke it anyway they could. It's no wonder the way it turned out.
I still think these are two seperate steps.
First is to be able to process and understand the information it's receiving and the next is to be able to learn to adjust to the information it's receiving and processing.

Not sure I believe this is all a simulation myself, however it's an interesting topic nonetheless.

IMHO any special "code" was produced purely as a matter of chance. Infinity is enough time for all "codes" to have been tried at least once. Only the successful ones stick around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is pretty much coding everywhere.

The string theory they found coding that we developed back in the 40s

Our own DNA has computer coding.

This theory would lend to thought of a creator.
Missed this 1st time around

Is this also a chicken or egg argument? Or the Anthropomorphism debate? ie we see code because we developed it and look for code where we didn't before?

Lets use DNA as an example, if we said Fractals were an example of an intelligent creator , then looking for Fractals in DNA would only confirm a bias.

This documentary is fantastic, thoroughly recommend anyone with a passing interest to watch it.

For those that don't have the time spare to do so the gist of it is that the science would increasingly suggest that the driving force of our universe is operating outside of it in the same sense that the driving force for the Sims' world (computer) operates outside of it.

Now you can interpret that to mean that we are rather pointless and when we die we cease to exist OR it can be seen as arguably the greatest argument for a "God" yet.

Believing what I do in regards to afterlife/paranormal phenomenon from stories/experiences I'm with the latter.

The fact the universe might be a simulation does nothing to dull it or discredit our lives IMO. What is boils down to is Mind vs Matter in the sense of a chicken or egg philosophy. A simulation would suggest Mind begets Matter which is far far more extraordinary and opens up so many more possibilities than this already perplexing physical universe we are observing.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missed this 1st time around

Is this also a chicken or egg argument? Or the Anthropomorphism debate? ie we see code because we developed it and look for code where we didn't before?

Lets use DNA as an example, if we said Fractals were an example of an intelligent creator , then looking for Fractals in DNA would only confirm a bias.
I believe we were created. Whether by god some ancient alien wizard or a computer nerd I will leave it up to the individual.

It goes way beyond that. From physics having to be broken for this all to exist.

This documentary is fantastic, thoroughly recommend anyone with a passing interest to watch it.

For those that don't have the time spare to do so the gist of it is that the science would increasingly suggest that the driving force of our universe is operating outside of it in the same sense that the driving force for the Sims' world (computer) operates outside of it.

Now you can interpret that to mean that we are rather pointless and when we die we cease to exist OR it can be seen as arguably the greatest argument for a "God" yet.

Believing what I do in regards to afterlife/paranormal phenomenon from stories/experiences I'm with the latter.

The fact the universe might be a simulation does nothing to dull it or discredit our lives IMO. What is boils down to is Mind vs Matter in the sense of a chicken or egg philosophy. A simulation would suggest Mind begets Matter which is far far more extraordinary and opens up so many more possibilities than this already perplexing physical universe we are observing.

This is a pretty good summary and it does appear we might not be living in a physical reality at all, which could be the mistake we have been making for all this time.
As for the god question,it still would leave it as a bit of an unknown unless we can discover who created base reality,but I'd say it makes the chances of a creator far greater.

Simulation certainly makes equal sense to what we think we currently understand.

This is a pretty good summary and it does appear we might not be living in a physical reality at all, which could be the mistake we have been making for all this time.
As for the god question,it still would leave it as a bit of an unknown unless we can discover who created base reality,but I'd say it makes the chances of a creator far greater.

Simulation certainly makes equal sense to what we think we currently understand.
Yeah look you could debate the God/creator thing until the cow comes home, I don't think we are getting anywhere with that.

But the biggest thing I took from this is that there is a good chance this physical reality is not all there is, something I have long felt.

In a world where Trump is in the White House, the economy is on the brink and global warming is ramping right up, that brings some kind of comfort to me.

We may have just failed a level instead of the whole game, so to speak.

I believe we were created. Whether by god some ancient alien wizard or a computer nerd I will leave it up to the individual.

It goes way beyond that. From physics having to be broken for this all to exist.
I tend to agree with this. It would be pretty naive to think we were just created from nothing,how is that really possible?

You've put it pretty well,people do seem to get a bit hung up on the word God for some reason,but our creator could be anything including aliens or our very own ancestors.

I tend to agree with this. It would be pretty naive to think we were just created from nothing,how is that really possible?

You've put it pretty well,people do seem to get a bit hung up on the word God for some reason,but our creator could be anything including aliens or our very own ancestors.
Just saying, not implying anything. Not pushing anything just a point.

The theory of God scares people.

But technically speaking as far as creation goes god does have more evidence than anything else we have found out about at this time of our knowledge.

What evidence is there that the Universe was created by a God?
I think questions like that is what makes theories like simulation so attractive. An idea of a god is one that's been passed on through the ages,and while it has merit there isn't really any proof and as we often see,history is often rewritten to suit certain agendas.
Other theories like the Big Bang and steady state are becoming less and less attractive as we make up more and more bits and pieces to suit the arguments as we go along,and again proof is very limited if not non existent when you take out the made up chunks.

With sims it makes sense that if we can somehow do it,it's more than likely been done before,and the possibility we may one day be able to create a sim is very real.
Personally I think the answers are more right in front of us than some realise. We just need a better understanding of the sub atomic world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back