Opinion Is there a God? Atheists, agnostics and believers please slug it out here.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if he got bored waiting 12 billion years for me to born so he could plan out my life for me.

I am the centre of his universe after all, he cares about me. (unless I get sick or have an accident, then I'm on my own)
A creator would live outside of time. We seem to apply human concepts to the idea of a supreme being. You seem to be assuming there is something up in the clouds twiddling its thumbs for billions of years. That makes no sense. I've also heard people use the size and insignificance of the earth when we observe the infinite scale of the universe as an argument which proves our entire irrelevance in the scheme of things. This is another childish notion. Are they suggesting if our planet was the biggest in the Universe that this would increase the likelihood of a god existing?

All the hundreds of thousands of religions since the human species started were ALL 100% sure their religion was right and their "god/s" were real...

But Sirlothie is the only one who is actually correct, all the others were just pretenders.

This is another argument that seems pointless. Religion is just mankind's struggle to make sense of our existence. With billions of people in the world surely you would not expect uniformity in the approach people take to finding these answers.

There is also nothing illogical about the idea that just one of the religions is right. Science throws up multiple opinions and theories about our physical world yet you wouldn't suggest this means all of the theories are invalid.

Along the same lines I have heard Dawkins and others attempt to discredit religions by telling Christians that they would be Hindus had they been born in India or Muslims if raised in Pakistan. In other words, we only believe becasue of the cultural environment we were raised in. But if this is true then it is also true of atheists like Dawkins. If rather than attending Oxford University he had been raised in the jungles of Papua New Guinea it is almost certain he would not be an atheist. Does this mean his atheistic views are nothing more than a product of the environment he was raised in and therefore not to be taken seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back