Club Legend
Jun 28, 2001
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Here's another fact scenario for you to get your teeth into:

Woman has sexual relations with 14-year-old boy. This is a crime in the jurisdiction and she does some jail time.

She has a child of which he is the biological father. He does not see the child.

When she gets out, she successfully sues him for maintenance for the child.

At 14 you're old enough to know what you are doing even if the consequences of your actions aren't always at the forefront of your thinking.

I'd say in this case that this is ok IF the father is allowed access to the child.

If that's the case Dave, why is it a crime?

IMHO, either he's old enough to have sex, and it shouldn't be a crime, or he's not, and it's her responsibility.

Originally posted by Fat Red
If that's the case Dave, why is it a crime?

Good question. Social taboo?

IMHO, either he's old enough to have sex, and it shouldn't be a crime, or he's not, and it's her responsibility.

Sounds reasonable. I didn't really think about the crime side of it.

Originally posted by Dave
At 14 you're old enough to know what you are doing even if the consequences of your actions aren't always at the forefront of your thinking.

I'd say in this case that this is ok IF the father is allowed access to the child.

Dave, why is it that the boy would be old enough to know what he's doing, but a girl has to be protected? I would think it should be the same both ways.......protect them both.

Originally posted by Santos L Helper
Dave, why is it that the boy would be old enough to know what he's doing, but a girl has to be protected?

Male Chauvanism ;) I'm a chop. CHauvanistoc Old Pri.....

I would think it should be the same both ways.......protect them both.

Fair nuf.

The point about him being underage (and the woman doing time for - I guess - statuatory rape) is that the boy is not deemed old enough to be reponsible for his actions.

Being sued, and assuming he has no capital of his own, can he declare himself bankrupt and not have to pay a cent?

Originally posted by CJH
The point about him being underage (and the woman doing time for - I guess - statuatory rape) is that the boy is not deemed old enough to be reponsible for his actions.

Yep, a point I initially ignored.

Being sued, and assuming he has no capital of his own, can he declare himself bankrupt and not have to pay a cent?

Can a juvenile declare bankruptcy? Or would hisparents be held responsible for his debts?

There was a real life case of this on a current affairs show the other week. I think it was in England but don't quote me, it could be in Australia. 23yo woman seduced 15 yo boy, had a child and broke off contact. 9 years later, she comes back and sues him for maintenance. Looks like she will succeed too, as he is now 24 and working. He wants nothing to do with them, as he's been given -NO- contact with the child and feels no emotional bond (and it's quite possibly too late to build one).

Surely there's a statute of limitations on something like this?

The woman commited a crime, and the boy cannot be held responsible, she is.

She cannot win because she was responsible, so he is cleared of all liability - including child support.

The Hitman

P.S. A person under 16 cannot sue, be sued, or file for bankruptcy.

Originally posted by The Hitman

P.S. A person under 16 cannot sue, be sued, or file for bankruptcy.

But what in the example that powerboi highlights above? Can someone who is over 16, be sued for something they did as a juvenile? Surely not!

Originally posted by CJH

But what in the example that powerboi highlights above? Can someone who is over 16, be sued for something they did as a juvenile? Surely not!

One for the legal eagles...I dunno.

But in this case the kid isn't responsible because it was the woman who commited the crime.

The Hitman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back