Preview Isaac Smith- The Perfect Sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

I caught about 15 minutes of training on Mon last week. One thing which stood out to me was "Zacca" as the boys are calling him.
They were doing contedted drills on the wing, one or two quick handballs then one of them would kick to a lead out of the goal square. The kicker was chased by their opponent and under a fair bit of pressure.
Each time Smith did it he totally burned his opponent (Young/ Burgoyne etc) after about 5 strides then launched lazer like kicks 55m onto the chest of Roughy. He did this constantly and always got well ahead of the person giving chase.
I know this does not mean he'll dominate at senior level but I have much more confidence he'll be a solid contributor after seeing this... Hope he's good enough to have a regular spot in the 21+1.

Holy Sh*t. If he can burn off Young and Burgoyne most of our other guys would be wasting their time chasing him. I wonder how he would go against Puopolo and Litherland? They are both reputed to have some serious toe. It sounds as if he will add a new dimension to the Hawks as we desperately need some serious outside pace.

Hey Cammstell, was Smith running by for the freebie or pushing through traffic? Either way, to burn off Burger & Young one needs some serious acceleration & evasive skills.

Hey Cammstell, was Smith running by for the freebie or pushing through traffic? Either way, to burn off Burger & Young one needs some serious acceleration & evasive skills.

Oh yes i have seen first hand how quick the boy is and i can categorically say there are very few that would keep up. Yes it is not about being quick either because dasher is quick its the acceleration.

Oh yes i have seen first hand how quick the boy is and i can categorically say there are very few that would keep up. Yes it is not about being quick either because dasher is quick its the acceleration.

I saw his game in the finals against Box Hill and the Grand Final and was really impressed. He was good in the best VFL team yet some seem to think he may be a flash in the pan. To be honest I am more impressed by outstanding form by young guys in the VFL than TAC Cup and I think he is a real talent. He may take a while but I suspect not too long.
I am interested in your thoughts FP as you seem to watch a lot of the Box Hill games and Have a good feel for young talent.

I saw his game in the finals against Box Hill and the Grand Final and was really impressed. He was good in the best VFL team yet some seem to think he may be a flash in the pan. To be honest I am more impressed by outstanding form by young guys in the VFL than TAC Cup and I think he is a real talent. He may take a while but I suspect not too long.
I am interested in your thoughts FP as you seem to watch a lot of the Box Hill games and Have a good feel for young talent.

The Prelim final against Box Hill he absolutely dominated... I think most people there were like who the F is this guy and why hasn't he shown up on the radar before only to find out he had played a handful of games 5 or 6 i think.

He certainly is exciting isn't he. It is a sight in football to see guys like him play football. To be honest mate i couldn't form a genuine opinion about him because i have only seen him a couple of times.

I think he will play in the pre season and if he is good enough he will play in the seniors. If not i will have the privelege of watching him run around playing for the stangers. if that is the case maybe at the end of this year i may have a less speculative opinion.

Am happy to say that for most of them he was bursting out of congestion. His first 10 steps are nasty fast..... It really was great to watch.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back