It's confirmed, Patton has done the ACL in his right knee...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has knock-on effects for all the GWS bigs.

If you happen to be Tomlinson, for example, then you're thinking about being the third amigo in the Cameron/Boyd/Tomlinson trio - one gorilla, one agile guy, one fast guy - are looking pretty good right now.

Doesn't explain why GWS would have been considering trading Patton pre knee injury. You would think Tomlinson would have been the one they would have considered offers for.

Doesn't explain why GWS would have been considering trading Patton pre knee injury. You would think Tomlinson would have been the one they would have considered offers for.

There was a lot of talk about us offering him a big paycheck to play for us. I expect it wouldn't have happened as it would have taken a lot to get it done, trade-wise, and I'm not sure we would have been willing to give GWS what they wanted. But in the bigger picture it was always felt that GWS had a surplus of key forwards and at some point some team was going to shake one loose - now it looks like they'll hold on to the ones they've got left.

There was a lot of talk about us offering him a big paycheck to play for us. I expect it wouldn't have happened as it would have taken a lot to get it done, trade-wise, and I'm not sure we would have been willing to give GWS what they wanted. But in the bigger picture it was always felt that GWS had a surplus of key forwards and at some point some team was going to shake one loose - now it looks like they'll hold on to the ones they've got left.

It would be exceptionally hard to acquire a #1 pick KPP who showed a fair bit. Watts hasn't shown anything and he still wouldn't come cheap.

I'd still take the chance and offer him big bucks to come to brisbane. Surely GWS would now be willing to trade him and I'm confident he'll still be a great player so what if he misses all of next year we're not flag contenders anyway and he's still so young he'll be ready when we're finally challenging in the next 2-3 years.

Pick 4 GWS get it done!

I'd still take the chance and offer him big bucks to come to brisbane. Surely GWS would now be willing to trade him and I'm confident he'll still be a great player so what if he misses all of next year we're not flag contenders anyway and he's still so young he'll be ready when we're finally challenging in the next 2-3 years.

Pick 4 GWS get it done!

Its a matter of loyalty - but if Brisbane did offer him big, guaranteed, bucks, then I could see Sos going 'Look, I want to keep you, but geeez, that money will buy you a house and set you up, even if your knee never comes back. If you say nahh to it, thats your call and Im re-signing you, but if you say yeah, then we'll do the deal'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just bad luck?
History shows repeat knees at a young age point to some sort of structural issue. There's a reason it's a repeat issue. Menzel and Morabito are good examples. Some guys bodies unfortunately just can't handle AFL footy. It can be a general thing or specific to one body part. Two knees at his age doesn't bode well for a good career, especially when a traditional reco probably rules him out for almost all of 2015, we effectively won't see him at full fitness again until 2016.

History shows repeat knees at a young age point to some sort of structural issue. There's a reason it's a repeat issue. Menzel and Morabito are good examples. Some guys bodies unfortunately just can't handle AFL footy. It can be a general thing or specific to one body part. Two knees at his age doesn't bode well for a good career, especially when a traditional reco probably rules him out for almost all of 2015, we effectively won't see him at full fitness again until 2016.

I think a lot of bigger young blokes - and young blokes in general - don't do enough to strengthen their legs, back and core during their teen years. Not saying they need to be pumping the weights, but doing something plymetric or calisthenic to get used to different stresses, movements, loads and landings would be very beneficial for a lot of guys. Even playing a second sport like basketball could help.

"Running out of time" for what? This is his third season, and he's 21 years old...

Next year will be his 4th season at 22, which will be a write-off due to the knee... he'll be tender running next pre-season too but should be serviceable in this 5th season at 23 years old and by then he wouldn't have done much.

He should be fine with no more injuries, but if he cops another injury when he returns in 2016 then he would be in his 6th season without having done much and that's starting to look like Gumbleton, especially as one of those super-tall athletic freaks with a big frame.

I must say I hate the ACL injury more than anything else in our game. Its such a brutal injury that can ruin careers. Late in the season its even worse. At least if you do it in the first 4 rounds or earlier, chances are you can get a decent preseason in and be ready to go next year. If you do it at the end of the season you will struggle to even get back until a good way through the season and even then you won't have any fitness base behind you.

Best of luck for poor Patton.

the way he landed was normal but he is a big unit so all that weight distrubition to hes knees must be terirble for the feela.

He's 6'6" and 100kg. There are literally thousands and thousands of (for example) basketball players the world over that are bigger than him running and jumping thousands of times over each year, and not doing their ACLs. It's not nearly as common an injury in basketball as it seems to be in footy, a largely ground-based sport.

I think it's more a structural and bodily experience (for lack of a better term) issue than anything else. As I said earlier in the thread, young footballers need to do more to prepare their bodies for different stresses prior to reaching AFL level.

This is just an observation and I'm no medical genius by any means ...and it's a question ?

Are our young players coming through too heavy

Whats he listed at weight wise

looks like he weights 110kg does Patton and I'm wondering if structurally his joints are not up to carrying that weight.....when it's too early in their careers

Just a thought

He's 6'6" and 100kg. There are literally thousands and thousands of (for example) basketball players the world over that are bigger than him running and jumping thousands of times over each year, and not doing their ACLs. It's not nearly as common an injury in basketball as it seems to be in footy, a largely ground-based sport.

I think it's more a structural and bodily experience (for lack of a better term) issue than anything else. As I said earlier in the thread, young footballers need to do more to prepare their bodies for different stresses prior to reaching AFL level.

Patton isn't 100kg

Plus 12-15 I reckon ...easily 110-115

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back