List Mgmt. It's official. Clarkson says: "The Hawks are rebuilding."

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whats bothered me most about this season has been the old, "this is Hawthorn's last hurrah".

Amid all the noise, I think one big thing has been missed.

We are 5-2 and blooding some valuable game time into some super exciting kids who will only be better for it.

Hartung
Lovell
Brand
Langford
Howe
O'Brien
Sicily

Have all had their ups and downs this year, but how much better have they been for the run?

Sure, we will get the big boys in Frawley, Hodge, Mitch and Rough soon enough - but we could be in for something special later this year if the youth and experience start to click.

Posters often get tired of developing young player threads but you're right - this is a very different year from the last few. A 5-2 record whilst blooding so many players is great.

I am continually surprised by how composed a lot of our new players are. Richmond are hopeless but I really liked TOB, Lovell and Brand last night. Lovell looks fantastic for an 18 year old second gamer. Could he have a 2008 Sizzle year?

Posters often get tired of developing young player threads but you're right - this is a very different year from the last few. A 5-2 record whilst blooding so many players is great.

I am continually surprised by how composed a lot of our new players are. Richmond are hopeless but I really liked TOB, Lovell and Brand last night. Lovell looks fantastic for an 18 year old second gamer. Could he have a 2008 Sizzle year?

Exactly right, mate. We have blooded how many games into these kids in the reserves?

So in many ways we are unlike other clubs who draft and then blood straight away.

If we can give these kids another 10 games each before finals, it just means we are going to be in for a treat over the next few years as they grow.

Who has the better batch of young kids?

Hawks
GWS
Saints
Dogs
Crows
Pies

I'd put us about 5th best just from that list alone

Not having access to high draft picks, or the need to fast track them like we did back in 2005 is a major factor naturally

And the most exciting part?

We have the likes of Burton, Litherland, Hardwick and ORourke still to come.

Exactly right, mate. We have blooded how many games into these kids in the reserves?

So in many ways we are unlike other clubs who draft and then blood straight away.

If we can give these kids another 10 games each before finals, it just means we are going to be in for a treat over the next few years as they grow.
And yet we are also flexible to say to a Lovell type - gee you look ready - have a couple of games.

We rock

Good thread! It's early days but Lovell looks like a beauty. Hard, composed and willing to do the 1% things.

TOB showed that he could be a good/very good CHF.

Sicily does a lot of good things amd if he can develop a more rounded game will be a super player.

Howe played a great game last night. Very composed and went when it was his turn. Give him another 20/30 games and I reckon he will be a star.

Hartung needs to work on his decision making but he's a player.

Langers is a contested machine. Not the most skilful but you need players like him in the side to do the dirty work. Reminds me a lot of Sewell. If he can improve his ability to give the quick handball he will be an elite clearance player.

Brand looks good based on last night. Still a way to go for him, however he made a good account of himself.

Those guys plus JOR, Gus, Pittonet, Burton, Stewart, JML, Willsmore, Kiwi and Dimma give us a good core of younger players to integrate alongside established players Shiels, Gunston, Rioli, Bruest, Chip, Stratts, Hill and Smith.

Other sides definitely have quality also but they have had access to high draft picks so you would expect that.

Even if we don't win the flag this year the future looks good over the next 3-5 years.

The thing is watching in particuarly O'Brien & Howe there the two who need the game time the most so hopefully they get some. O'Brien looks great much better than Schoey as his footy smarts are exceptional just needs the mongrel and i think he will develop it over time. Its no coincidence he played well in the backline as his reading of the play is fantastic.

Howe is also a great player with footy smarts just is finding his feet and the pace of the game.

Guys like Lovell, Hartung, Langford, Brand, Sicily can come in and out of the team and do well same as O'Rourke but Howe and O'Brien are the ones that will do better after 30-40 games. Hopefully Willsmore gets a game that guys playing great attacking and defending and is quick guys been dominant this year in the VFL.

Just have to hold on to the players we blood. Why would you want to go though? The best team, the best coach and the best supporters. As the likes of Hodge, Mitch, Burgers, Lewis and Gibson head towards their twilight years, these youngsters are being primed to take over the reigns. Learn from the best and become the best yourselves. The Hawthorn way, the hard way, the team way. Whilst we ride some bumps with a grin, it won't be all smooth sailing but the future is still bright for us. Hopefully the kids continue to take the opportunity for the expert tuition on offer whilst it's available.

One week at a time. We aren't privy to Clarko's weekly plan for the kids, but if they can tick his boxes at training and when playing for Box Hill and Hawthorn, I have no doubt we can be a force in September with a bit of luck and in future years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats bothered me most about this season has been the old, "this is Hawthorn's last hurrah".

Amid all the noise, I think one big thing has been missed.

We are 5-2 and blooding some valuable game time into some super exciting kids who will only be better for it.

Hartung
Lovell
Brand
Langford
Howe
O'Brien
Sicily

Have all had their ups and downs this year, but how much better have they been for the run?

Sure, we will get the big boys in Frawley, Hodge, Mitch and Rough soon enough - but we could be in for something special later this year if the youth and experience start to click.

Nice to see you posting mate.

The problem with football is you hear way too much uneducated comment, opinions based on nothing more than personal preference and bias. This Hawthorn demise nonsense is perpetuated by a media and football public so tired of Hawthorn success that they wish for it to end ASAP and their wishful thinking suddenly becomes "fact".

You only have to listen to rubbish like we are being favoured by umpires to understand how badly they want us to fail.

As I posted in another thread on the main board, it makes me laugh how Geelong never "dominated" the competition apart from the second half of 2007 and the minor round in 2008. Since then they have won 2 flags (not back to back), not one minor premiership, and yet as late as 2014 we were still listening to "Is Geelong's "period of dominance" coming to and end"? Coming to an end, it was over years ago, and the moment the Hawks have one disastrous game, apparently we're finished. People generally aren't too bright .... and most of these end up in the media.

Good thread i think we have recruited pretty damn well with what we've had to work with,
quite a few youngsters that i'm looking forward to watching develop over the next few years.

Got a Pies supporting mate who is extremely bullish about Ryan Burton. He tends to follow the kids and draftees closely.

Reckons we got a gem there. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out.
I agree with your mate. I think he's going to be a bloody star. I was devo that you guys drafted him, but at least for his sake he'll be developed in the right way. If he can't make it at the Hawks, he won't make it anywhere. Had he not severely broken his leg I'd have put him as a comfortable top 10 pick. The wraps on him over here in S.A. were extremely high.

I agree with your mate. I think he's going to be a bloody star. I was devo that you guys drafted him, but at least for his sake he'll be developed in the right way. If he can't make it at the Hawks, he won't make it anywhere. Had he not severely broken his leg I'd have put him as a comfortable top 10 pick. The wraps on him over here in S.A. were extremely high.

Good to hear mate. Thanks for posting and hope you're right!

Good to hear mate. Thanks for posting and hope you're right!
I don't know how many years Roughead has left in him, but should everything go to plan Ryan should slip straight into the role once he retires. He's definitely got the talent to seamlessly fill the void Roughead will leave when he hangs up the boots.

Good for our depth but we're going to need to snare some A-Grade talent in the next few years to avoid mediocrity.

That's true, but I have faith the club has learned from the period from the mid 1990s to early 2000s and now understand they need to draft cleverly as well as recruit from elsewhere. I think we'll be okay, even if we aren't ultimately successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back