Prediction It's time to go...

Not to mention that it's not even possible to turn over 15 players in one trade period. Once you consider how any players are under contract, how many trades are available and how nobody takes anybody in the draft after pick 90 - no club is turning over more than 7-8 players max. I think I read somewhere that there is a limit on delistings too?

Carlton turned over 15 in '15 and a total of 40 in the past three years.

No limit on de-listing either.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton turned over 15 in '15 and a total of 40 in the past three years.

No limit on de-listing either.
Thanks, re the delisting limit, but I doubt we would be able to turn over that many. We have a lot of players signed up for next year. By the time you dump 15 players, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of replacements. The replacements start to become worse than the players you delist. Where would you get 15 decent players in one draft period. Haven't the salary cap rules changed so that you have to include a player's contract value in the salary cap for the length of that contract? So if you delisted a bunch of players and couldn't trade enough of them, you probably wouldn't have enough money to pay for new decent ones.

Did Carlton really manage to ditch 40 players in 3 years? If there are only 45 players on an AFL list: and you've had Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Simpson, Rowe, Ed Curnow, Casboult, White, Graham, on the list the whole time, that's already 9 players who weren't turned over in those 3 years. Can't be 40 players unless you're talking about delisting players who have only just been drafted. Still, 36 players in 3 years is heaps. I just don't think Melbourne needs to do anything like that. We need half a dozen positional/role players and some good ball users and we're set. Probably 6-8 players would get us well into finals next year.

Of course it depends on who you have contracted, but you can clear as many as you want.

Carlton turned over 12 in '14, 15 in '15 and 13 in '16, although we did re-rookie Gallucci.
This of course takes into account retirements, players traded and rookies moved on.
I always look at the whole, as a list turnover.

Turning over ten per year is about average across the clubs these days and especially so for the lower clubs.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course it depends on who you have contracted, but you can clear as many as you want.

Carlton turned over 12 in '14, 15 in '15 and 13 in '16, although we did re-rookie Gallucci.
This of course takes into account retirements, players traded and rookies moved on.
I always look at the whole, as a list turnover.

Turning over ten per year is about average across the clubs these days and especially so for the lower clubs.
But looking at Melbourne's list, wouldn't you think turning over 15 players would be excessive? We aren't a lower club anymore, we're trying to refine the list and plug some holes, dump a few spuds. If we delisted 15 players, I can imagine getting 6-8 players that are better for our team structure, beyond that I think they wouldn't be any better than what we've got. My guess is that we'll cut 8 this year - maybe 10 absolute max.

Not to mention that it's not even possible to turn over 15 players in one trade period. Once you consider how any players are under contract, how many trades are available and how nobody takes anybody in the draft after pick 90 - no club is turning over more than 7-8 players max. I think I read somewhere that there is a limit on delistings too?
Yep, I understand the disappointment and all that but some calling for mass changes are not thinking of the practicalities I think.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Lads. Before you go making comments about people making mass changes, you need to read posts properly. I listed 8 players who can be delisted IMO. Trengove, McKenna, Spencer, Garland, White, Kennedy, Wagner and Hulett. I'm not sure many people would be crying too hard if they all got delisted. I know a couple of these are contracted, but these are the guys I'd personally move on. I also said I'd look at retiring Bernie and putting on the trade table Watts and Tyson. We still have a lot of dead wood that needs to go and we need to make some big boy calls on some of our players like Watts and Vince IMO if we are to trade in players who will move us forward.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
The number of Dees fans who take time to read and post on BigFooty but don't bother to check on the contract status, or VFL form/development, of our players is staggering. A little basic research can go a long way.

In my opinion:

De-list:
  • Trengove, Hulett, Kennedy (try & use as tradebait but unlikely to get any takers), White, Lumumba
De-list and re-rookie:
  • McKenna (he is contracted already). Give him the option of a Michael Evans style payout if he would prefer.
  • King or re-rookie Filipovic - one only
Retire:
  • Garland (according to Colin himself, posting on here under some form of alias)
Un-signed:
  • Frost, Spencer - if they're not in our best 25, then try & trade them. Personally I would trade Spencil while his currency is seemingly the best it's ever been, but as a FA understand he can simply choose to leave. I would like to keep Frost.
  • Bugg - I would give one year,especially if we can get rid of Kent, but I understand if he gets delisted to free up a spot and some salary space. I really like him, but he let his teammates down as much as any other Demon this yhear

Trade bait:
  • Weidemann. Collingwood should be interested, if it helps us get Lever then I am all in. Worth a 1st round or early 2nd. KPFs with two years of investment after being taken as first round picks don't grow on trees.
  • Dean Kent if we can get anything better than pick 45 I am interested, including a player
  • Josh Wagner - same as Kent. I don't think we will get that much for him, and I don't really rate him, but no point giving him away for less than that
  • Tyson - I like him and want to keep him, however if he can secure as Lever/Whitfield through some sort of trade (most likely involving other clubs) then I am in.

Strecth, ANB, JKH, Vanders have all re-signed relatively recently - they won't be traded.

You don't trade Jack Watts - he is clearly best 22 and fills a specific need. Elite ball user who needs to toughen up. Goody should back himself in to do just that. Deserves to be here when we play final.

Demon3

All Australian
Jan 8, 2003
VIC, Seaford
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pacers and Tigers
The number of Dees fans who take time to read and post on BigFooty but don't bother to check on the contract status, or VFL form/development, of our players is staggering. A little basic research can go a long way.

In my opinion:

De-list:
  • Trengove, Hulett, Kennedy (try & use as tradebait but unlikely to get any takers), White, Lumumba
De-list and re-rookie:
  • McKenna (he is contracted already). Give him the option of a Michael Evans style payout if he would prefer.
  • King or re-rookie Filipovic - one only
Retire:
  • Garland (according to Colin himself, posting on here under some form of alias)
Un-signed:
  • Frost, Spencer - if they're not in our best 25, then try & trade them. Personally I would trade Spencil while his currency is seemingly the best it's ever been, but as a FA understand he can simply choose to leave. I would like to keep Frost.
  • Bugg - I would give one year,especially if we can get rid of Kent, but I understand if he gets delisted to free up a spot and some salary space. I really like him, but he let his teammates down as much as any other Demon this yhear

Trade bait:
  • Weidemann. Collingwood should be interested, if it helps us get Lever then I am all in. Worth a 1st round or early 2nd. KPFs with two years of investment after being taken as first round picks don't grow on trees.
  • Dean Kent if we can get anything better than pick 45 I am interested, including a player
  • Josh Wagner - same as Kent. I don't think we will get that much for him, and I don't really rate him, but no point giving him away for less than that
  • Tyson - I like him and want to keep him, however if he can secure as Lever/Whitfield through some sort of trade (most likely involving other clubs) then I am in.

Strecth, ANB, JKH, Vanders have all re-signed relatively recently - they won't be traded.

You don't trade Jack Watts - he is clearly best 22 and fills a specific need. Elite ball user who needs to toughen up. Goody should back himself in to do just that. Deserves to be here when we play final.
Tyson has 2 years to go on a contract I think so he won't be tradebait...I reckon Frost will be part of a trade if we get Lever

TheGateKeeper

Debutant
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to offer Viney a rookie spot. He it too injury prone and I feel he was the reason we lost. He could of played on one leg Dangerfield style and won us the the game off his boot. But no, he had to pull the "Ive broken my foot and can't walk excuse" what a load of horse shite. I blame YOU Viney...

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to offer Viney a rookie spot. He it too injury prone and I feel he was the reason we lost. He could of played on one leg Dangerfield style and won us the the game off his boot. But no, he had to pull the "Ive broken my foot and can't walk excuse" what a load of horse shite. I blame YOU Viney...

wat.wat.wat.gif

TheGateKeeper

Debutant
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 8.54.24 pm.png

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Weidemann. Collingwood should be interested, if it helps us get Lever then I am all in. Worth a 1st round or early 2nd. KPFs with two years of investment after being taken as first round picks don't grow on trees.
I was penning a letter the club, urging them to trade Weidemann for whatever we could get; I would have considered anything above a pick in the 40s a wondrous result.

Then I checked Josh Kennedy's stats after a similar amount of time in the system/ number of games played and decided that Weidemann was the Messiah.

It would be a massive waste to let Weidemann go now. The Pedobear won't save us forever.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Trengrove Spencer Kennedy Hulett Garland White are all candidates, but I'd be fine with keeping Pencil, BenKen as depth tbh.

Don't think VDB goes this season, he could be valuable if ANB goes down, really underrated up forward and will push Hannan for spots and allow Trac to move into midfield permanently or at least for longer spells.

I think Bugg, JKH, McKenna, are all screwed when their contracts run out.

We don't need to proactively delist players unless we get a Kelly, because we should have cap space ATM

Trengrove Spencer Kennedy Hulett Garland White are all candidates, but I'd be fine with keeping Pencil, BenKen as depth tbh.

Don't think VDB goes this season, he could be valuable if ANB goes down, really underrated up forward and will push Hannan for spots and allow Trac to move into midfield permanently or at least for longer spells.

I think Bugg, JKH, McKenna, are all screwed when their contracts run out.

We don't need to proactively delist players unless we get a Kelly, because we should have cap space ATM
I think Bugg is safe. Was pretty solid when he played. Just needs to start kicking goals and not points

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wait really?
Many years ago before he was drafted he was bagging Neitz on here apparently.

Benny Beams was a poster for a while, i can confirm that one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We ain't delisting more than 1 contracted player, you still have to pay them in the salary cap. Club can't afford 500k of extra payments on blokes not even at the club

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We won't delist any, if we didn't pay out Terlich we'll never pay anyone out.

I have a feeling he was on 300-400k after his bnf finish same as Matt Jones.
Still it is pointless to delist contracted players when you have to pay them anyway may as well have them develop the kids at Casey

Back