Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling is fascinating to watch. He looks every bit like an alpha male and then you see him in pressure moments and you realise that he's a cardboard cut-out...
That's "Premiership Player All Australian Cardboard Cut-Out" - please use his full title thanks.

This argument is invalid as Darling's goal tally includes goals kicked in finals, clearly an unfair handicap for Melbourne and Fremantle players.
I wouldn't get too carried away. Random stat pulling can suit any agenda. Watch:

Darling 59

West Coast

Allen 20
Waterman 15
Hickey 9
Venables 2

Total 46

See... all I did was find a few talls who didn't play much, some bloke who isn't a marking forward and a ruckman.

It's not that hard.

Darling had a very good game against us, and more importantly was great in the GF win last year, not sure why this thread exists.

He dropped a mark 4 years ago.

He was AA this season and would have been last season (missed 4 games and played 21% of one and 9% of another) so he's going OK.

Kicked 53 goals in his second season as a 20 year old. The biggest knock on him (and we have had Kennedy as a pretty handy #1 target) is that he should have been better than a guy who consistently gets around 40 odd goals a year, and the last two years he has been. I reckon most people would be happy with 107 goals from 45 games.

i explained how I worked it out using the same parameters as the previous poster. Is that what your asking? Not sure I can explain it another way for you.

Not really.

Waterman isn't a marking forward and neither is Venables, so if anything your comparison is more flawed.

I picked the 4 leading talls from your list, if you prefer I could swap Cox or Dixon. Lobb was recruited as a forward but had to play more ruck due to the injuries to Sandi and the injury/form of Darcy. Mccarthy is 2cm taller than Darling.

In any case you've kinda missed the point which is for all his flaws, Darling is still daylight ahead of the supporter groups tall forwards who are his most vocal critic.

Not really.

Waterman isn't a marking forward and neither is Venables, so if anything your comparison is more flawed.

I picked the 4 leading talls from your list, if you prefer I could swap Cox or Dixon. Lobb was recruited as a forward but had to play more ruck due to the injuries to Sandi and the injury/form of Darcy. Mccarthy is 2cm taller than Darling.

In any case you've kinda missed the point which is for all his flaws, Darling is still daylight ahead of the supporter groups tall forwards who are his most vocal critic.
I'm not a critic of his (please see my previous post). All I did was demonstrate how you can come up with any list to support a theory. I think using Hogan (12 games), Taberner (9), McCarthy (12) and Lobb, who played in the ruck, is disingenuous.

Anyway - if you think it's a realistic comparison I think we're done here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy? The guy that got 1 goal and 12 disposals in the grand final last year?

ef146c1b624b2bf7843b6c76666f9abe

This is why I've only started about 4 threads in 10 years on Bigfooty. I started this one and it sucks. I was bloody impatient. He's a gun who's had a stellar career. Probably hasn't hit the ceiling he was capable of - for a brief period last year he was just about the best player in the game, which is where I think his ceiling was, nonetheless he's a gun.

Will always hate him for turning the game with that awesome third quarter in last years grannie. Nonetheless hats off to a bloody good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back