News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

It's also hardly a fair comparison to use a crappy photo of the stand while the other building is in its prime
My point is we can't heritage list every structure purely on age. It has to have some cultural or architectural significance. Otherwise who knows in a hundred years that 7-Eleven on Rathdowne St could be heritage listed.

REMOVE THE STAND AT ONCE!!!

We have administrative staff in portable buildings FFS.

We need to win Premierships.

What absolute nonsense to suggest that our history and Jack Dyer will be forgotten if we knock the stand down.

In practical terms, in physical terms, football clubs operate in a set space, in a confined space, in which they do what they need to do, and that is to win Premierships.

Do people not grasp the skill of architects? They don’t just design buildings, they design stories and history WITHIN those buildings. All aspects of Jack Dyer, our history, and the Richmond Football Club as a whole, will be reflected in the new building design.

Seriously mind boggling posts in here demanding that the stand be kept, it doesn’t even do what it’s supposed to do and hasn’t for over two decades. FFS rant over.

Portable buildings, man.

REMOVE THE STAND AT ONCE!!!

We have administrative staff in portable buildings FFS.

We need to win Premierships.

What absolute nonsense to suggest that our history and Jack Dyer will be forgotten if we knock the stand down.

In practical terms, in physical terms, football clubs operate in a set space, in a confined space, in which they do what they need to do, and that is to win Premierships.

Do people not grasp the skill of architects? They don’t just design buildings, they design stories and history WITHIN those buildings. All aspects of Jack Dyer, our history, and the Richmond Football Club as a whole, will be reflected in the new building design.

Seriously mind boggling posts in here demanding that the stand be kept, it doesn’t even do what it’s supposed to do and hasn’t for over two decades. FFS rant over.

Portable buildings, man.
Ploy from 'others' to restrict potential increase in capacity at punt road ... its all politics

The MCC members stand wasn't 107 years old encompassing WW2 history.

drop the ww2 s**t

there were no battles at punt road FFS

any legitimacy your argument has crumbles when you wheel that complete trite garbage out

ww2, FMD

drop the ww2 sh*t

there were no battles at punt road FFS

any legitimacy your argument has crumbles when you wheel that complete trite garbage out

ww2, FMD
Punt Rd was integral in the war effort . Jack Dyer was told not to join the army so he could keep morale up in the Melbourne community.
All the matches were packed with 30,000 plus people .
It was basically the main entertainment in Melbourne at that time.
There was no MCG then.

if your benchmark for heritage preservation is the gardens of babylon, then melbourne would be a bomb site. also there was just a grassy patch prior to the jack dyer stand

Some would argue the hill at various cricket grounds was part of the culture and heritage of those grounds. My point is let's worry about bigger issues. Man-made buildings are... well they are man-made buildings. This one in particular doesn't have the same heritage of others that have gone before it in different stadia around this country and indeed the world. The man the stand was named after does but we have other ways of honouring him, which have greater meaning within the club and should do for the supporters of that club. The Jack Dyer medal for example.

Anyway, I'm not really that fussed about an old grandstand but do find it intriguing that it provides an opportunity for an organisation to stop progress somewhere. Perhaps we are capable of doing things better now (when it comes to buildings) and that we can use all the photos, vision and whatever else to keep alive the memory of the stand. There will surely be ways of paying homage to it in the new design.... Meeting the needs of the club it was built for would be the first priority. Imagine there was no Richmond there.... but an old grandstand. Be a bit stupid in my opinion. Vic Park, Moorabbin, Windy Hill have all lost a bit of their mystique without the club there.... The Hawks Glenferrir oval was fascinating but they needed to leave as it was too small for purpose. Part of the redevlopment at Punt Rd will help ensure that we do not. A Richmond based at Punt Rd is more important than an old stand.

Punt Rd was integral in the war effort . Jack Dyer was told not to join the army so he could keep morale up in the Melbourne community.
There was no MCG then.

No. You're embarrassing yourself now. Don't be a git

You've got no idea of Richmond’s history, you'd prefer a car park for the admin staff than an antique grandstand.
If you don't know that history, then your opinion is an ignorant opinion.

Richmond had an incredibly tiny part in supporting morale at home. To say Punt Road was "integral to the war effort" is so far beyond ignorant and stupid it's not funny.

What's next, was the tram network integral to the war effort because us troops liked riding on them?

We just won 3 flags with the admin in portables or whatever. Not sure why their comfort/convenience would be much of a consideration when you're talking about pulling down part of the club's history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was no MCG then.
No MCG? In 1900 there was something like this Looks like'd hold a 30,000 crowd mcg.jpg

We just won 3 flags with the admin in portables or whatever. Not sure why their comfort/convenience would be much of a consideration when you're talking about pulling down part of the club's history.
The admin staff aren’t actually being moved to a new building they are going into the space that the football dependent currently occupy

The new buildings also include areas for the AFLW, Houli institute, KGI institute, larger playing surface, new gym, new grandstand and on site accommodation for people using some of the services along with a lot of other things

it’s a lot more than just getting the admin staff out of the portables

There was no MCG then.
Have I got this completely wrong? My understanding from my Dad was that at the start of WW2 Jack Dyer was a policceman and this was considered essential employment at the time? Can someone confirm or do otherwise please?

Have I got this completely wrong? My understanding from my Dad was that at the start of WW2 Jack Dyer was a policceman and this was considered essential employment at the time? Can someone confirm or do otherwise please?
He was told not to enlist by the Prime Minister, "Stories of the footballer abound, including one of Hardy's favourites. A policeman by day, Dyer was so angst-ridden about whether he should enlist in World War II - and so well-connected - that he arranged a meeting with prime minister John Curtin, who told him the Diggers at the front loved hearing stories of Captain Blood and he must keep playing football.

''He said, 'But I will ask you one thing, Jack','' Hardy says. ''My nephew plays for Fitzroy, Claude Curtin. I want you to leave him alone, Jack, don't hurt him'.''

Anything for country and prime minister, Dyer told him. And the next time Richmond met Fitzroy, he lined Claude Curtin up and knocked him out."

Some would argue the hill at various cricket grounds was part of the culture and heritage of those grounds. My point is let's worry about bigger issues. Man-made buildings are... well they are man-made buildings. This one in particular doesn't have the same heritage of others that have gone before it in different stadia around this country and indeed the world.

No hint in archives that anyone campaigned to save the grassy patch. Only that Richmond took pride in its "handsome" stand, and as I said earlier, it was thought significant enough that the PM turned out to make a speech when it opened. "Man-made buildings are... well they are man-made buildings". As in, buildings made by man, who come from the natural world? If you are going to prioritise nature, then what is more interesting, even miraculous, than nature transforming itself consciously to its own ends, in its own image? Objectively speaking, a urinal is more interesting than the Great Barrier Reef.

No hint in archives that anyone campaigned to save the grassy patch. Only that Richmond took pride in its "handsome" stand, and as I said earlier, it was thought significant enough that the PM turned out to make a speech when it opened. "Man-made buildings are... well they are man-made buildings". As in, buildings made by man, who come from the natural world? If you are going to prioritise nature, then what is more interesting, even miraculous, than nature transforming itself consciously to its own ends, in its own image? Objectively speaking, a urinal is more interesting than the Great Barrier Reef.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk:😴😴

Noone campaigned to save "the grassy patch" because they were probably forcibly removed from the land and/or deceased before they had the chance

Also surely after months of roundabouts we are passed things like:

"This stand needs to be saved for culture and community"

And

"Why T actual F is there a community organisation or sports club (fencing/swimming) wasting space in our beautiful supreme facilities??"

Being said in the same breath and making sense??

Yeah, I'm not sure you are enhancing your argument by arguing that a urinal is more interesting than the GBR.... Or in fact by the fact a PM made a speech about it at an opening. PMs will do many things for publicity. We could get the PM to open the new buildings, thus attaching the same cultural and historic significance we are supposedly losing, so that in many years from now, two other people can argue the merits of knocking it down for further progress for the betterment of the RFC (if we are still at Punt Rd, something that is attempted to be ensured by this very upgrade).

Yeah, I'm not sure you are enhancing your argument by arguing that a urinal is more interesting than the GBR.... Or in fact by the fact a PM made a speech about it at an opening. PMs will do many things for publicity. We could get the PM to open the new buildings, thus attaching the same cultural and historic significance we are supposedly losing, so that in many years from now, two other people can argue the merits of knocking it down for further progress for the betterment of the RFC (if we are still at Punt Rd, something that is attempted to be ensured by this very upgrade).
It's also just a measly 5 yards down the road from parliament of the time so not that big a deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back