News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying it's easy, i'm saying it's what the club should be doing. Easy is for St Kilda.

Sure.

Well the Punt Rd Redevelopment is being lead by the Board, and board member John O'Rourke in particular as chair of the Redevelopment Sub Committee. John is the Chair of the Plenary Group, one of the pre-eminent property and infrastructure investment companies in the world. John's company specializes in public/private partnership property and infrastructure projects.

Perhaps you can pass on your view as to what the club should be doing at the upcoming AGM?

Haere Ra

They've never publicised it, not that I can remember anyhow.

Things get changed all the time in that precinct, for example the building of the soccer stadium and Flinders (Melbourne) Park for the tennis. And no one is advocating that kind of huge change and huge infrastructure. I mean what is the area behind the goals currently being used for besides RFC use? Would it even matter to anyone at all if the club was allowed to build between the access road and the boundary fence?
All the options are here have a read

Sure.

Well the Punt Rd Redevelopment is being lead by the Board, and board member John O'Rourke in particular as chair of the Redevelopment Sub Committee. John is the Chair of the Plenary Group, one of the pre-eminent property and infrastructure investment companies in the world. John's company specializes in public/private partnership property and infrastructure projects.

Perhaps you can pass on your view as to what the club should be doing at the upcoming AGM?

Haere Ra

My issue has always been about the process. Ever since you came on here a few years ago and foreshadowed "I fear we may have to demolish the Jack Dyer stand", It was obvious the board had already made up their mind.

Where was the debate about options to us as a club? Plan A? Plan B? Plan C? There wasn't any. Funny how times change and not that long ago the club had us all chip in to preserve the JDS, and how they had to set up the JDF specifically so that it could be tax deductible.

As you so kindly point out I can of course raise the issue at the AGM and elect even a different ticket I suppose. I remember an AGM back when they used to have them at the Town Hall and some bozo started asking Northey why they didn't move Maxfiled onto the half back flank or something like that and there was understandable rollyeyes.

Asking questions about the process are only fair and the condescending tone of reply doesn't change that fact. So yeah, I have issues about the process and as I have already said, "too hard" is not good enough, especially when there is precedent in every direction you look around the sporting precinct.

My issue has always been about the process. Ever since you came on here a few years ago and foreshadowed "I fear we may have to demolish the Jack Dyer stand", It was obvious the board had already made up their mind.

Where was the debate about options to us as a club? Plan A? Plan B? Plan C? There wasn't any. Funny how times change and not that long ago the club had us all chip in to preserve the JDS, and how they had to set up the JDF specifically so that it could be tax deductible.

As you so kindly point out I can of course raise the issue at the AGM and elect even a different ticket I suppose. I remember an AGM back when they used to have them at the Town Hall and some bozo started asking Northey why they didn't move Maxfiled onto the half back flank or something like that and there was understandable rollyeyes.

Asking questions about the process are only fair and the condescending tone of reply doesn't change that fact. So yeah, I have issues about the process and as I have already said, "too hard" is not good enough, especially when there is precedent in every direction you look around the sporting precinct.

Condescending?

I truly believe that raising your concerns and questions directly with the Board is more beneficial than raising them on BigFooty. If you believe that venting on here is better for you, then so be it.

The Jack Dyer Foundation is a multipurpose investment and donation structure that has been used for many things including football department equipment, the PRO lights and the Players Lounge. It is not and was never tied to the Jack Dyer Stand, other than sharing the name.

Haere Ra

Ps. I dare say the JDF will also have a role with Redevelopment funding.

Pot Kettle Black
Your attitude to this is far more condescending, even flat out ignorant to think that these things haven't already been considered
Check yourself

All the options are here have a read

Thanks for the link. Fascinating insights into the history of the park and how its use has changed over 150 years. I can recommend anyone who has questions about the design options considered to look at the design concept report from section 3.1.
Maybe the design put forward was the intention from the start, but it looks like the best option for getting a full sized training ground while actually improving the amenity of Yarra Park. I do like the $5 tinny window in the current stand, but I guess you can’t have everything…

I think the development done 10 years ago is past its use by date they should have knocked that down as well and continued the new development over that area but make it a bit bigger and higher to accomodate more office space and player facilities and maybe add another 1000 to 1500 seats to the grandstand.
Full stops and commas are not your enemy.

Sure.

Haere Ra
Yeah go tell the next President of our club that he has no idea lol. I cant believe people are angry about saving the JDS which should have gone at least 20 years ago.

The Richmond Tigers have threatened to leave Punt Road Oval unless the club’s plans to demolish the historic Jack Dyer Stand and redevelop the ground get council approval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Council want to keep it then let them pay to move it onto the parkland around Punt Rd
nah mate, they all want to drive teslas for the environment..... no cash here..

Nice to see forces amassing to save the Old Stand.

'The heritage adviser to the City of Melbourne has advised the council the demolition of the stand would be a “significant heritage loss”

'National Trust chief executive Simon Ambrose said...."The Jack Dyer Stand embodies the enduring connection of the Richmond Cricket Club and Richmond Football Club with the Punt Road Oval and has architectural significance as an example of an early 20th century grandstand at a major sporting venue"

Sentiment locally is also clear, the stand is an icon and loved by many.

Blackmailing the people of Richmond by threatening to walk is a significant low point for the RFC. As mentioned, the Pies and Dees will be in the next day and RFC will regret it for the next 100 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back