News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I would EXPECT the club is anticipating increased revenues from the new development.

Much like the soccer clubs in Europe that have developed their home clubs and created excellent revenue.

I still think the ground should be made to fit 20,000 people at a minimum, not 8,000.
Not sure that’s possible, you’d need more room (which is limited) and you’d have to demolish everything, not just the Jack Dyer stand. Plus would we even consistently get 20,000 people into the ground for VFL and AFLW to make those extra costs worth it? We only got about 30,000 to our game against Port earlier this year.

Not sure that’s possible, you’d need more room (which is limited) and you’d have to demolish everything, not just the Jack Dyer stand. Plus would we even consistently get 20,000 people into the ground for VFL and AFLW to make those extra costs worth it? We only got about 30,000 to our game against Port earlier this year.
We need to be making money from the redevelopment.
Hopefully 8,000 is enough … for now

It’s not a grandstand. It’s a stand. It has a deck above for seating and facilities underneath it. Realigning the ground is turning on blank space 90 degrees. Like I said earlier, for $100,000,000 you could build 200 really good houses.
or 200 really nice brotherls and then we make enough money to buy the afl like vince brought wcw in 2001

They train in a gym (along with other facilities, completed in 2011) and on the oval. We already have both of them.

I’m just trying to justify a $100,000,000 spend (plus further blowouts).
True but the gym and other facilities in the David Mandie Building aren't able to cope with having the mens/VFL/AFLW programs, plus the Bachar Houli Foundation and the KGI, plus the coaches, medical and other off field staff, hence the new facilities in the new stand. Add to that opposition clubs, coming to play at the ground are forced to prepare in portables beside Punt Road, broadcasts of games are done from the balcony between the old and new buildings, fans are unable to access the Jack Dyer Stand unless they are family/friends of Richmond VFL players or have special needs.

As for the oval, it's small and cramped measuring 159m x 124m, the plan is to make the alignment and size the exact same as the MCG 174m x 148m, by doing that it will allow the team to train and prepare game plans for any other ground in the league as the MCG is the biggest ground we play on.

Stupid question but where will they put the broadcast facilities though….
They'd be in the new stand
It'll actually be new broadcast (and coaching and timekeeper) booths in the existing building, which will line up perfectly with the centre of the ground now. It's kind of underreported how much the interior of the "Swinburne Centre"/David Mandie Building will be changed.

They train in a gym (along with other facilities, completed in 2011) and on the oval. We already have both of them.

I’m just trying to justify a $100,000,000 spend (plus further blowouts).
Now you'll have a new oval, gym, sports hall, aquatic facilities, theatre, and changerooms for AFL and AFLW... among other things like a new Jack Dyer Stand and car park.

Not only will all this stuff be new, but it'll also be bigger and better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have built a gold coast suns sized stadium in 2011 with facilities. Theirs only cost $144 million at the time.
how much did the black tin shed cost us ? has to be the worst looking facility in the league

what design were they following ? 1960s brutalist ?

I suppose at least the yellow is more or less on point
yeah thats the traditional yellow

we use it everywhere on social media. we photoshop the puma fluro back to traditional yellow. just use it on the damn farrken jumper

The cost blowout and extra funding needed from fans or borrowed means the club should really be questioning whether it's still a viable project. You can't just go, "costs have near doubled but play on regardless". If we need the space in the building, maybe some of the non football elements need to move out. Tough times, tough decisions. And yes, the club needs to be more assertive with the CFL about how we are umpired, distributions and our fixture before any fans throw money at this.

Club’s not getting another cent from me until we hear this boondoggle is on the back burner.

Now is absolutely the wrong time to take it on.

Fair risk it will sink the club.

Brick by brick?

Thick as a brick if you ask me.
When should they look to improve facilities?

Costs & prices are only going to increase moving forward, so taking on the project in 1 year, 5 years or 10 years is only going to cost us more.

Best to get it locked in now and completed sooner rather than later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back