Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Somewhere in Sydney.

rsz_k1mse_1268.jpg

"This Reiwoldt character, do you think he wants to earn some real money?"

In all seriousness we need to now focus on signing all the young talent we gave and giving them the contracts they deserve.

We have signed everyone we want to keep till 2016, Parker, Smith, Reid, JPK, Hanners, Jetta etc

Now Tippett contract that's what im curious about i think he is extremely important to our structure and is a must keep.

I was always critical of Brett Ratten continually recruiting midfielders, however, a team full of forwards? Just might be crazy enough to work (sarcasm off for those who may not appreciate obvious sarcasm)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would not rule us out of the chase for another big fish recruit. Like others have mentioned rok will be gone, lrt almost certainly gone and shaw is a chance, you could argue there will be over 1.2 million freed up there.

As for the youngsters that need to be signed. - couple of players will be delisted plus the cap increase should be enough to sign the likes of Mitchell , Lloyd , Biggs and Cunningham etc.

Not saying we would chase another 1 million dollar player, but I believe the money will be there to sign a good experienced player around the 400-500k mark

I would not rule us out of the chase for another big fish recruit. Like others have mentioned rok will be gone, lrt almost certainly gone and shaw is a chance, you could argue there will be over 1.2 million freed up there.

As for the youngsters that need to be signed. - couple of players will be delisted plus the cap increase should be enough to sign the likes of Mitchell , Lloyd , Biggs and Cunningham etc.

Not saying we would chase another 1 million dollar player, but I believe the money will be there to sign a good experienced player around the 400-500k mark

If you were a key defender, taking 100k less just so you wouldn't have to play on Buddy or Tippett would be totally worth it :p

J.Riewoldt or Cameron? Hmm..

I feel like this will be a payrise season unless someone falls in our lap. We'll have over a million to play with but there are some guys probably needing a contract extension and payrise so they should be the focus and maybe keep a few dollars in the bank for the next couple of years and throw it at a defender or two.

We'll also need to pay the players a bonus for winning the flag so need some space in the cap this year ...

The only free agents this year I would care to go after are Frawley, Ben Reid, and possibly Goldsack. All the other key defenders that were available are either too old (Rutten, Morris, Fisher) or have already re-signed (Hansen, Jamison)

Ireland has already said he doubts we'll be going after any vaguely expensive free agents for the next few years. Swans management has not been averse to lies of omission in recent times, but still, I think they'd be more committed to ensuring we have the money to tie up younger guys. We can find top defenders elsewhere or turn other guys into top defenders, we've done it many times before (just like with ruckmen).

The only thing our club has shown a tendency towards spending big, big money on to recruit from elsewhere is a tall forward. I think the clubs backs itself to be able to find unknowns far more cheaply in the draft and trade period and turn them into stars under our defence-first development program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back