News Jarryn Geary announced as Saints captain for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Gears isn't my preference but he'll get my full support if he gets the nod.

It certainly sounds like a short term appointment and, as many have said, we have a wealth of young leaders that will be ready to replace him when the time is right.

Jarryn Geary; Premiership Captain? Gee whiz, I bet no one ever thought that was a possibility

While I am happy for Gears and think it will make him a better player I can't help wondering what happened to Armo?
It was clear the club was grooming him to takeover a couple of years ago with more media face time & photo shoots and then it all fell away.
There's a story behind that, something happened.

Having met Armo a few times he doesn't scream captain, he's one of the lads who would be heaps of fun to hang with but he's a bit of a laconic joker. To me the guys besides Geary are Newnes and Mav and then a gulf. It takes a lot of different qualities to captain and it's beyond the on field stuff. Montagna probably could have done it but just the wrong side in age.

Bit from the Carlisle article in the online Hun...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st...a/news-story/45f11ccbfcf930331962ea78bb28c833

"The Saints have still yet to appoint a captain for the 2017 season following champion forward Nick Riewoldt’s decision to relinquish the role after 11 seasons.

Montagna revealed that he and the rest of his St Kilda teammates would submit their votes for the club’s leadership group in “the next week or two”, with a captain to then emerge from that team.

The veteran added that unheralded defender Jarryn Geary was “probably the front-runner at this stage” as he is highly regarded internally.

“We’ve got a lot of these younger guys who are ready to take the step … Jack Steven has come along in leaps and bounds and Mav Weller is a terrific leader and David Armitage,” Montagna said.

“We have a few options, but ‘Gears’ is probably the front-runner.

“Gears is really highly rated amongst the football club. (He’s) probably not as well known outside the footy club, but certainly internally we rate him really highly.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is obviously letting everyone get used to the idea of geary being captain before announcing it. It's been a slow play but i can understand the reasoning behind it.
Probably cos they know hes not the average punters obvious choice so they know to expect more melts than a Mr Whippy Van with a broken refrigerator .
I can understand people having a prefered choice to Gears. Some Peeps want a younger Skipper. Some have another mature player in mind as their choice.
But quite a few people think he is a good choice and the club ( who know the players better than we do) obviously think hes a very good choice.
So any " what a s**t decision" melts that might follow the official announcement are gonna be embarrassing .
He's already an on field leader so it should be a smooth transition for him and the club:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Probably cos they know hes not the average punters obvious choice so they know to expect more melts than a Mr Whippy Van with a broken refrigerator .
I can understand people having a prefered choice to Gears. Some Peeps want a younger Skipper. Some have another mature player in mind as their choice.
But quite a few people think he is a good choice and the club ( who know the players better than we do) obviously think hes a very good choice.
So any " what a s**t decision" melts that might follow the official announcement are gonna be embarrassing .
He's already an on field leader so it should be a smooth transition for him and the club:thumbsu:

Exactly.

Always difficult to satisfy 30,000 - 45,000 people with various insights and opinions.

In reality he only has to satisfy about 44 people to be a success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back