Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
2 great players.
aker- 3 x premiership player, 1 x brownlow, 4 x all australian, 2 x b&f.
325 games, 421 goals.

stevie j- 3 x premiership player, 3 x all australian, 1 x norm smith medalist.
253 games, 452 goals. could be more to come.

Didn't have to think twice, akermanis. No slight on Johnson who has been a great player but aker would be one of my first picked in an all time 22 of my footy life. He was a rare weapon.

With all due respect for Johnson, as was a freakish player... Aker was comfortably an even more freakish player. Too bad the guy is a douche.

Johnson is an overweight, arrogant twat
Aker was comfortably an even more freakish player. Too bad the guy is a douche.
i can't understand the hate towards some players on BF. i started on BF only a few short months ago (my first foray into any form of social media).
do we expect our players to all be cardboard cutouts and be of bland character? i don't think anyone can get a full understanding of someone elses character/personality unless you know them personally. the moment any of them try to get out of the box that society/supporters try to put them in some people jump on them full of judgement and derision. as far as i know aker and stevie j have not committed any crimes. when players do break the law ie. drink driving/drugs/vandalism etc. they always pay a price both through the courts and in the forum of public opinion which is fair enough, but surely have your say and move on, some posters are like a dog with a bone. we should not expect sports people to be role models, that job is for family and close friends.
in most cases the player in question would be forgiven pretty quickly if they were playing for the club you support.

redwhite&blue and jiphoc, have no idea of your history re. player derision, for all i know this is a one off or sarcasm, my rant is a more general opinion on BF postings and society overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only 2 i can think of are sam mitchell and darren jarman. but i would say aker best long kick off his non dominant side i have seen.

His ability on his left when going flat stick sets him apart from those two. It is almost footys most difficult skill I reckon. Penetration and accuracy whilst going at top pace. Only the most balanced and coordinated can really do it.

i can't understand the hate towards some players on BF. i started on BF only a few short months ago (my first foray into any form of social media).
do we expect our players to all be cardboard cutouts and be of bland character? i don't think anyone can get a full understanding of someone elses character/personality unless you know them personally. the moment any of them try to get out of the box that society/supporters try to put them in some people jump on them full of judgement and derision. as far as i know aker and stevie j have not committed any crimes. when players do break the law ie. drink driving/drugs/vandalism etc. they always pay a price both through the courts and in the forum of public opinion which is fair enough, but surely have your say and move on, some posters are like a dog with a bone. we should not expect sports people to be role models, that job is for family and close friends.
in most cases the player in question would be forgiven pretty quickly if they were playing for the club you support.

redwhite&blue and jiphoc, have no idea of your history re. player derision, for all i know this is a one off or sarcasm, my rant is a more general opinion on BF postings and society overall.
Talking about character... Did you happen to hear what Aker mentioned about Jimmy Stynes and homosexuality in sport. I know he mentioned them in a public environment but I keep forgetting what he mentioned. Can you remind me?

Talking about character... Did you happen to hear what Aker mentioned about Jimmy Stynes and homosexuality in sport. I know he mentioned them in a public environment but I keep forgetting what he mentioned. Can you remind me?
we all say stupid stuff that we regret saying. aker was trying to convey that jim stynes was a tough as nails hard at it competitive footballer and chose his words poorly he admitted that and apologized.
on the homosexuality in sport, aker from memory said something along the lines of he didn't think an AFL player should come out publicly as from his experience there would be problems for them, he said he would have no problems with a player coming out. i think that seeing there has been no player come out, the homosexual players in the AFL might agree.
akers has made what some people might say are inappropriate statements a few times in his life like most people do, i am not prepared to malign his character for this as i do not know him.
what we see in the general public is a very superficial view of the players personality/intent, in the main driven by media who are ratings driven and often go for the sensationalized headline grabbing story.

Aker easily. I don't mind the guy for all his opinions and 'public speaking' errors, was awesome to watch. One of the smartest footballers going around, would be a shame if that was lost to the AFL and the youngsters coming up.

Aker had some of the best raw skills I've ever seen - I still don't think I've seen a better player on their opposite boot.

Stevie J is a freak though and couldn't have done much more to help his case, but ill still take Aker.

Aker was pretty disciplined on the field for someone of his off-field character. Johnson is a lair on the field.
re. akers off field character, i spoke on this in a earlier post just above your post, if your interested/haven't read yet.
i have no problems with the lair on the field with stevie j. he is a very good player who shows overt confidence in his own ability, i would say that any body with an elite level of skills in any field of endeavor has this, some just don't show it in an obvious manner like stevie j and many others.

Back