Recommitted Jay Schulz [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure Port will respect Shultz's decision whatever it is. I'm sure if he wants to take Freo's offer Port will facilitate the move in good faith. He has been a great sevant but has now been replaced by someone more long-term, that's all. Unless I have missed something?

If he's a good sevant... I'm sure he'll know where he's going ;)

There may be a chance port say here freo have Schulz for pick whatever.

But It certainly wouldn't come because freo decide Schulz isn't worth trading a Middle of the road pick for him.

If port asked for it , I think they would get it. If they Didnt really need it or didn't want to waste their time they might not bother ...

Port chase a young FF in his prime while he's available. Fair call. Port current FF is 30yrs old. Both Schulz and Dixon are lead-mark full forwards. Is there room for both, maybe, maybe not. Schulz would know the sooner Port get into the groove of Dixon being the main 'go to' forward the better. Schulz reads between the lines and tries to get a trade to where he can be the main 'go to' forward. This is business sadly.

Easy to understand, no?

A) freo will not be pricing schulz out of other teams reach. There will be a lot of other teams that could afford him , and would happily pay him. It is entirely possible he could get through to freos psd pick , but it would be because others teams honoured schulzs wishes , not because of the money.

B) just because freo could get Schulz in the psd ...... Should you go down that path?

IMO there's a difference between offering someone 500k during the season/trade period and taking them in the PSD for 500k.*

I think all clubs with any wiggle room in the cap would think about taking Schulz if they only have to spend a PSD pick. People thinking because freo offered him the most means no one will pay that in the PSD are ill-informed as many clubs will have assigned that cash elsewhere, where it may suddenly be unexpectedly available in 3 months time after a failed trade period.

*Using this as a generalisation not specific as I don't know the exact values

On another note, it really wouldn't shock me if freo were dicks and we couldn't get anything for him would offer him an increased contract rather than lose him for nothing. I think the willingness to trade Schulz only comes up to find draft pick assets with Dixon coming.

Lake was contracted. If no deal was done the Bullies keep him.

Schulz won't get get a game next year if he stays at Port.
If lake stayed at the dogs he would have retired mid 2013 due to not getting a game. He was rubbish in his final year there

Mind you I'm stoked how he's gone for us for the past 3 years

With Dixon on board, if Schulz wants to leave, port should give him away to the club of his choice. Why make it difficult for him when they are practically forcing him out the door

A) freo will not be pricing schulz out of other teams reach. There will be a lot of other teams that could afford him , and would happily pay him. It is entirely possible he could get through to freos psd pick , but it would be because others teams honoured schulzs wishes , not because of the money.

B) just because freo could get Schulz in the psd ...... Should you go down that path?

A) It's not that others can't match the money, it's more they won't be prepared to do so at his age and if he selects freo.
B) Yes, it's a business, don't have to like it but that's how it goes eg freo lost a serviceable Dylan Roberton to the saints in the psd after developing him for 3 years.

If lake stayed at the dogs he would have retired mid 2013 due to not getting a game. He was rubbish in his final year there

Mind you I'm stoked how he's gone for us for the past 3 years

With Dixon on board, if Schulz wants to leave, port should give him away to the club of his choice. Why make it difficult for him when they are practically forcing him out the door

Has been told there's a spot for him and knocked back multiple contracts. Freo effectively offering a godfather offer which port would prefer to not match, I'm not sold he's going and he's certainly not being pushed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A) It's not that others can't match the money, it's more they won't be prepared to do so at his age and if he selects freo.
B) Yes, it's a business, don't have to like it but that's how it goes eg freo lost a serviceable Dylan Roberton to the saints in the psd after developing him for 3 years.

You're comparing roberton to Schulz ? Roberton was at best only ever fringe for you and has only now in his sixth season actually shown anything.

Lol again with forcing him out the door .. Port has had an offer on the table for Schulz all year..

He just has a better deal from freo..

Just because port are adding another key forward this off season doesn't mean we can't play Schulz .. Like no other team has ever played 2 key forwards with two rucks before? o_O
But now that it looks like Dixon is onboard.........

Again you say port have shown Schulz the door? I already pointed out that is wrong... Repeating it doesn't make it true..

Lol and what are you talking about dignity and hatchet ? Wtf?

You make it sound like if port asked for a ten pick upgrade from pick 47 to 37 they are spitting in Schulzs face ...
Dixon is Schulz replacement and will suck up the salary that you have available.

Why hasn't Schulz signed?

Do you think your best 22 can really accommodate another extra tall player?

Where do you see the flexibility in your salary cap to satisfy Dixon?

But the real thing for me with Port is that you end up with at least 3 and possibly 4 of Ryder, Shulz, Dixon, Lobbe and Westhoff in the forward line. Not good imo.

You're comparing roberton to Schulz ? Roberton was at best only ever fringe for you and has only now in his sixth season actually shown anything.

Your making the player comparison, I was just pointing out we lost a serviceable player (who played in the 2010 final series in his first year) for nothing in the psd. The point is that afl is a business and if port get upset for losing schultz via the psd it is their problem.

Dixon is Schulz replacement and will suck up the salary that you have available.

Why hasn't Schulz signed? Because he has more money on offer from another team.

Do you think your best 22 can really accommodate another extra tall player? Yes

Where do you see the flexibility in your salary cap to satisfy Dixon? Cornes , butch would have been on at least $700,000 combined this season. Even if butch re signs it will be on minimum. Moore is gone to be replaced with a new draftee on less slightly less money. Young could possibly be moved on if we needed to.

But the real thing for me with Port is that you end up with at least 3 and possibly 4 of Ryder, Shulz, Dixon, Lobbe and Westhoff in the forward line. Not good imo.

Your opinion is wrong here. I already pointed out that a) westhoff doesn't play in the forward line , he plays wing and floats back. Sometimes he floats forward. In fact he plays best for port when we don't have to play him forward , which pre Ryder we sometimes had to as Schulz was our lone hand up there and not enough. Port has always preferred westhoff to play up the ground . He has done that all year.

B) as a tall player westhoff is more mobile and a better kick then half the bloody mids in the afl. He isn't exposed as a tall player by other teams.

So when you are saying port cannot play Schulz , you are arguing port cannot play 2 key forwards and 2 rucks . A tonne of teams play that line up now and in the recent past.

You do realise that the team port fielded against freo this last weekend had 2 key forwards and 2 rucks?! Schulz , butcher , Ryder and lobbe ?

Your making the player comparison, I was just pointing out we lost a serviceable player (who played in the 2010 final series in his first year) for nothing in the psd. The point is that afl is a business and if port get upset for losing schultz via the psd it is their problem.

You made the comparison of losing roberton in the psd to losing Schulz in the psd?

Lol ports problem if they get upset? That is a dumb argument. How is that ports problem?

You appear to be arguing here that freo should ignore any requests port have for a trade and take Schulz in the psd ...

Do you think freo would share the same mindset?

Question .. Would that piss port off? is schulz worth pissing port off , does the value of pick 37 over 47 have enough value to warrant pissing port off. Could pissing port off make it harder for you to get deals done in the future?

Another question. Schulzs manager doesn't like the fact you sent his client to the psd when he hears that a reasonable request by port was put forward.

McCarthy / hogan comes out of contract in x year .. They speak to their managers. Would their managers push them towards west coast rather then freo? Who knows , but why take that risk?

Why hasn't Schulz signed? Because he has more money on offer from another team.

Do you think your best 22 can really accommodate another extra tall player? Yes

Where do you see the flexibility in your salary cap to satisfy Dixon? Cornes , butch would have been on at least $700,000 combined this season. Even if butch re signs it will be on minimum. Moore is gone to be replaced with a new draftee on less slightly less money. Young could possibly be moved on if we needed to.

Your opinion is wrong here. I already pointed out that a) westhoff doesn't play in the forward line , he plays wing and floats back. Sometimes he floats forward. In fact he plays best for port when we don't have to play him forward , which pre Ryder we sometimes had to as Schulz was our lone hand up there and not enough. Port has always preferred westhoff to play up the ground . He has done that all year.

B) as a tall player westhoff is more mobile and a better kick then half the bloody mids in the afl. He isn't exposed as a tall player by other teams.

So when you are saying port cannot play Schulz , you are arguing port cannot play 2 key forwards and 2 rucks . A tonne of teams play that line up now and in the recent past.

You do realise that the team port fielded against freo this last weekend had 2 key forwards and 2 rucks?! Schulz , butcher , Ryder and lobbe ?

So why haven't you offered him 400k for 2 years, because if you had offered him this he would have signed???

You either don't value him to be worth 400k, or don't have enough salary cap space to fit him and Dixon in.

So why haven't you offered him 400k for 2 years, because if you had offered him this he would have signed???

You either don't value him to be worth 400k, or don't have enough salary cap space to fit him and Dixon in.

How do you know we haven't offered him that? Or we could have but he has 500k on offer from freo?

This is a pretty strange argument? Port put a contract to Schulz , he has a better one on offer from another club that has been very keen on landing a key forward for a long time and is a settled club that will be playing finals.

How do you know we haven't offered him that? Or we could have but he has 500k on offer from freo?

This is a pretty strange argument? Port put a contract to Schulz , he has a better one on offer from another club that has been very keen on landing a key forward for a long time and is a settled club that will be playing finals.

I don't think Schulz would move to Perth for 100k a year, I may be wrong. Based on what his manager is saying, Port offered him significant less than this year and I can't see him being on anything more than 500k this year, so my guess is they are offering around 300k.

Surely you must admit that Port are prepared to risk loosing Schulz by signing Dixon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-08/jay-schulz-to-stay-at-port-adelaide-says-manager-pickering

Pickering denied his client had made a mistake in knocking back a two-year contract offer from the Power last year.

"It wasn't a pay increase, it was a pay cut, a significant one. That's initially what was offered," Pickering told Melbourne radio station SEN on Saturday.

"The mail was that they were really tight on the salary cap, so I don't know where that's at."

It would be pretty poor form in my view, if that's the way they went but we'll see what happens.

Ryder, Schulz, Butcher, Lobbe and Westhoff

The above all played on the weekend in ruck or forward, what is the problem .... Also in 2016 with no sub the expectation is more clubs will revert to two rucks

You made the comparison of losing roberton in the psd to losing Schulz in the psd?

Lol ports problem if they get upset? That is a dumb argument. How is that ports problem?

You appear to be arguing here that freo should ignore any requests port have for a trade and take Schulz in the psd ...

Do you think freo would share the same mindset?

Question .. Would that piss port off? is schulz worth pissing port off , does the value of pick 37 over 47 have enough value to warrant pissing port off. Could pissing port off make it harder for you to get deals done in the future?

Another question. Schulzs manager doesn't like the fact you sent his client to the psd when he hears that a reasonable request by port was put forward.

McCarthy / hogan comes out of contract in x year .. They speak to their managers. Would their managers push them towards west coast rather then freo? Who knows , but why take that risk?

Good grief. Most of this post is just completely made up. Guessing how another play or team might react to how this goes down.

I don't think Schulz would move to Perth for 100k a year, I may be wrong. Based on what his manager is saying, Port offered him significant less than this year and I can't see him being on anything more than 500k this year, so my guess is they are offering around 300k.

Surely you must admit that Port are prepared to risk loosing Schulz by signing Dixon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-08/jay-schulz-to-stay-at-port-adelaide-says-manager-pickering

Pickering denied his client had made a mistake in knocking back a two-year contract offer from the Power last year.

"It wasn't a pay increase, it was a pay cut, a significant one. That's initially what was offered," Pickering told Melbourne radio station SEN on Saturday.

"The mail was that they were really tight on the salary cap, so I don't know where that's at."

It would be pretty poor form in my view, if that's the way they went but we'll see what happens.

Shhh. Enough of this factual evidence. Port offered him a great contract and Dixon has nothing to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back