Autopsy Jesse White retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a terrible, but very keen, cricketer as a kid but was always told that even though I couldn't play the game, at least I could look like a cricketer: clean whites (creams in those days), on time, and support the skipper.

Jessie White was a very good looking footballer but, as several have pointed out, he wasn't a very good player.

I have been saying for years he is the best-looking, crappy footballer (at AFL level of course) there has ever been.

Can anyone come up with a better example?

Majak Daw?
Courtney Johns?

Favourite Moment: That time he grew a man bun

White-620a.jpg

Gees there's some cheap bay 13 esque jibes in here already. I say well done to Jesse on carving out a career spanning 10 years at two of the biggest clubs in the comp over 127 games. A massive achievement to reach the pinnacle comp in his chosen sporting code and better than any of us plebs will ever achieve.

All the best for the next chapter Jesse
Its refreshing to see so many people on Bigfooty like a post complimenting a player. As opposed to the usual negative perception of everything that isn't ones own club. Well done Jesse. 127 more games than i'll ever play.

It's funny how people hang s**t on a guy that's played 127 AFL games over a 10 year period. I wonder how many BF posters have had a career like that?
Funny how many bro-flakes get upset a little levity

You said that was a comment made referencing one passage of play and you use that to sum up a bloke who's played 120+ games??
Yep.

Let's face facts. The guy was an average player in a below average side during his time at Collingwood and still couldn't shine out in any way with his performance.

Add to that he had hands like bricks when trying to clunk marks, and jostled with Cloke as to the worst kick at goal at the club (missing sitters in tight 4th quarters was his forte), I think BT's summation was spot on.

The thing about Jesse is when he was good he was really good. But he would only play half a dozen good quarters in a full season. Just enough to tease coaches that he might be worthwhile.

My favourite Jesse moments:
* his first game when he was the notorious 19th man against North
* being sold to Collingwood - one of Ireland's best trades, and right at the time when McGuire was in daily fulmination about the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you prefer, a nothing career vs a career where you were good enough in one season to win a brownlow, but, you had to give that brownlow back? I would take that year where I was good enough to win a brownlow. Even if I was on PEDS that year I won the brownlow. I would take that year over a career of mediocrity.
This is actually an interesting proposition - I commend your honesty. I guess a few bombers came to the same conclusion.

was he meant to be a leigh brown type replacement? had all the physical tools and a better athletic specimen than brown.
well done on eking out a career for yourself... must have had a lot of drive and dedication to remain on a list that long, especially in spite of the sort of criticism he got.

Pretty rough in here.

Played 127 games of AFL at 2 big sides.

Longer career than a lot of players.

Its incredible isnt it?

His best was very good but unfortunately it just didnt happen enough. Achieved a lot more than all the 'never will be's' in this thread.

Good luck in retirement Jesse!

I've been critical of selecting White on the Collingwood board over the years but the reality he's a better footballer than 99% of the population and a lot of players that get drafted let alone anyone posting here could ever be.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he didn't get the lost out of his talents. I'm sure he tried as hard as anyone. He survived 3 times al long as the average AFL career and played more than 100 games. He's no Luke Hodge but it's a bloody good achievement all the same.

Well done Jesse and good luck.

I am glad that Jesse White is finally getting some recognition.

Years back when the Crows knocked back the Pick 22/Jesse White trade and Tippet joined the Swans citing "Bloods Culture" as a reason, no-one even noticed the Jesse White headswap in this Culture Club mockup.

KurtureClub.jpg

I wish him well on all his future endeavours.

I was a terrible, but very keen, cricketer as a kid but was always told that even though I couldn't play the game, at least I could look like a cricketer: clean whites (creams in those days), on time, and support the skipper.

Jessie White was a very good looking footballer but, as several have pointed out, he wasn't a very good player.

I have been saying for years he is the best-looking, crappy footballer (at AFL level of course) there has ever been.

Can anyone come up with a better example?

Cameron O'Brien I think was his name, of Collingwood and the Bears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back