Jim Maxwell has lost the plot

Remove this Banner Ad

Like India ,huge potential because of the population,India are now reaping the benefits by tapping into that enormous population who bleed cricket.

Australia have literally only 3 mill more people than Sri Lanka in a massively crowded sporting landscape.

Last edited:
Like India ,huge potential because of the population,India are know reaping the benefits by tapping into that enormous population who bleed cricket.

Australia have literally only 3 mill more people than Sri Lanka in a massively crowded sporting landscape.
yep this is true. Larger populations are always going to unearth higher numbers of potential players. NZ does an unbelievable job with a tiny playing pool

Last edited:

60 years ago no western country took India seriously in cricket. No one predicted where they are now. So why is it so unbelievable China could be a dominant force if they took the game seriously? They are in a much stronger position now than India was in then and have a much bigger middle class. Seriously in a hundred years cricket's landscape could be totally different to what it is today

I think Australia does an excellent job too with our population. Because our talent pool goes multiple ways. Union, League, AFL, basketball, athletics, hockey, golf etc. We do a fantastic job across a wide range of sports. Course you wouldn't hear a good word about our players on here they just love their whipping boys lol

What's wrong with what I wrote? Entirely feasible due to their population. Are you the hallway monitor?

Hasn't happened with basketball or soccer, despite their wild popularity in China. Why would it particularly happen with cricket?

Population doesn't always equal sporting success (see China, Nigeria, Russia without drugs).

Back on topic, poor old Jim was pretty ordinary on the weekend.

Kept coming out with these tone deaf comments like “Cricketers are highly paid, travel the world, and get paid well for doing so....how can they suffer depression and mental illness?! Makes no sense to me!!”.

Awkward...😕

Back on topic, poor old Jim was pretty ordinary on the weekend.

Kept coming out with these tone deaf comments like “Cricketers are highly paid, travel the world, and get paid well for doing so....how can they suffer depression and mental illness?! Makes no sense to me!!”.

Awkward...😕
To take it back off topic, it seems like if anything depression has always been a little overrepresented in cricket. Going through the cricinfo pages of players from the super old days (1920's and earlier) it's shocking how many suicides there were a few years after retirement.

As someone who thrives in the comfort and solace of their own home and piece of serenity, so to speak, I could see myself being one of those cricketers with mental health issues, no matter how much I'm paid. I think the mental health excuse is a cop out in today's society but it's easy to see where it definitely can affect people, whether it's cricketers or the average Joe blow.

As someone who thrives in the comfort and solace of their own home and piece of serenity, so to speak, I could see myself being one of those cricketers with mental health issues, no matter how much I'm paid. I think the mental health excuse is a cop out in today's society but it's easy to see where it definitely can affect people, whether it's cricketers or the average Joe blow.

Can't comprehend that. So it's a cop out but it isn't? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't comprehend that. So it's a cop out but it isn't? :think:
It's used so much these days that you have to wonder just how many are genuine and how many are looking for an easy excuse. There are definitely those who are genuine, but I don't believe every single one.

It's used so much these days that you have to wonder just how many are genuine and how many are looking for an easy excuse. There are definitely those who are genuine, but I don't believe every single one.
It's used so much these that you just have to wonder just how many people were told to grin and bear it, or drank to excess to "deal with it", or tried to push it down because men didn't talk about feelings, or feigned some other kind of injury, or kept playing when they shouldn't have and played well below their best and were dropped, or quit at a young age to concentrate on their teaching career, or.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back