Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Having 3 draftees even considered for best 22 is remarkable I think.

I highly doubt more than two of them play round one though.

Looking around the league though almost every top ten pick has had minutes during the JLT series and most look in contention for their round one side. St Kilda also had two top ten picks and both were in the squad for last nights game.

They’d be a good 10+ mature agers around the league that look in contention for round one as well, probably more if you actually consider Banfield a mature ager. He just won his WAFL best and fairest too - is it really that different to giving early games to him than it was for Greg Broughton and Michael Barlow? I wouldn’t have thought so.

Anyway all three look more ready to impact than any freo first year player has in years. That doesn’t mean we’ll be shite it just means we’ve picked a few ready made players.

What’s the go for members? Do we just get access to better seating options / cheaper tickets ?

Also where can we find our code to purchase them ?

Last edited:

I highly doubt more than two of them play round one though.

Looking around the league though almost every top ten pick has had minutes during the JLT series and most look in contention for their round one side. St Kilda also had two top ten picks and both were in the squad for last nights game.

They’d be a good 10+ mature agers around the league that look in contention for round one as well, probably more if you actually consider Banfield a mature ager. He just won his WAFL best and fairest too - is it really that different to giving early games to him than it was for Greg Broughton and Michael Barlow? I wouldn’t have thought so.

Anyway all three look more ready to impact than any freo first year player has in years. That doesn’t mean we’ll be shite it just means we’ve picked a few ready made players.
I'm not a fan of 3 round 1 debuts. There is no way that fitness levels can meet those of seasoned AFL players and for that reason alone it puts the team and players in a poor position. It is just an unrealistic expectation. The key thing is about development of young players, not round 1 debuts, and we have a whole season for debuts to happen. Drip feeding them in is a far better way to do it.

Having 3 draftees even considered for best 22 is remarkable I think.

Everyone needs a bit of extra patience too. We are still a year away from turning the list over; it's pretty clear that we still have 6-8 players that we are certain will not be in our next premiership push, and until they are turned over, we are not really in that 'premiership window'. If we nail October again at the end of this season, in what is supposed to be a super draft, we could see Freo having a 4-5 year block of putting an extremely strong squad on the park.

Insert cliches like don't count your chicken's before they hatch etc., but there are great signs moving forward. Results this year are irrelevant. In fact we would be best served by finishing in the bottom quarter again, get one final strong draft in, and push from 2020 -2025.

I'm not a fan of 3 round 1 debuts. There is no way that fitness levels can meet those of seasoned AFL players and for that reason alone it puts the team and players in a poor position. It is just an unrealistic expectation. The key thing is about development of young players, not round 1 debuts, and we have a whole season for debuts to happen. Drip feeding them in is a far better way to do it.
Do you really count Banfield in that though? The guy is a senior recruit and won a WAFL B&F last year, surely he would have no issues getting up to speed, he has certainly shown he can play at AFL pace already.
The only slightly underdone guy is Cerra, but I'd be getting as many games as possible into him and Brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spurr, Johnson, Ballantyne, D Pearce and Sutcliffe is a little frustrating.

For rd 1, we need to cut two from the team, one obviously being Meek.

If Hill and Hill are fit, we cut 3 more. If Logue and/or Hughes come in, then we cut 4.

I'll be content as long as D Pearce and Spurr are cut.

They won't be. Its Lyon's way or the highway.
The only reason he changed early last year was coz the Board told him too

Do you really count Banfield in that though? The guy is a senior recruit and won a WAFL B&F last year, surely he would have no issues getting up to speed, he has certainly shown he can play at AFL pace already.
The only slightly underdone guy is Cerra, but I'd be getting as many games as possible into him and Brayshaw.
Sure I do. Banfield has barely played as a forward before has he? Last year he played wafl as a run with mid from what I could see. In the pre-season he won't have come up against full strength AFL defences.

I thought Crowden was fit and likely to make a seemless transition into the AFL. Then he played AFL-X and instead of barging through packs and shrugging off the opposition, he struggled. Played predominantly midfield at sanfl level, but projects as a likely small forward on debut (perhaps some midfield rotations). It is a big step up. A big learning curve.

As for Cerra, who is yet to play a full pre-season game, he is coming off an injury plagued year, especially shoulder injuries. At AFL level there will be no mercy. Posters on here were thinking A Pearce wouldn't re-debut until mid-season, yet somehow we now think throwing in Cerra for round 1 might be the thing that marks Lyon as a changed coach who is demonstrating his commitment to the rebuild? I'm not saying you are saying those things (but take a look at wild side's post), but there is no strong argument for Cerra to make a round 1 debut. The main focus should be on how he can be developed best so that when he does debut he is ready to do well.

The best thing for any of them is to not debut together. One by one learn their role, find their feet, pick up the pace, bring in the next one.

Interesting going with 24. Lyon has zero respect for the pre-season formats the AFL constructs and finds ways to just do the pre-seasons the way he wants to. It is always about the main season for him, and everything else can get in line. 26 players gives a chance for exposure of a greater number of players, but comes at the cost of playing time for the players he is likely to use, which is of course the 24.

End result is better prepared for round 1, less depth/experience in the deeper parts of the list.

Interesting going with 24. Lyon has zero respect for the pre-season formats the AFL constructs and finds ways to just do the pre-seasons the way he wants to. It is always about the main season for him, and everything else can get in line. 26 players gives a chance for exposure of a greater number of players, but comes at the cost of playing time for the players he is likely to use, which is of course the 24.

End result is better prepared for round 1, less depth/experience in the deeper parts of the list.

Bit of a worry when Spurr and Danyle are picked. I thought we'd moved on from them last year and so we should've. Surely we've got better options on our squad than them.

Sure I do. Banfield has barely played as a forward before has he? Last year he played wafl as a run with mid from what I could see. In the pre-season he won't have come up against full strength AFL defences.

I thought Crowden was fit and likely to make a seemless transition into the AFL. Then he played AFL-X and instead of barging through packs and shrugging off the opposition, he struggled. Played predominantly midfield at sanfl level, but projects as a likely small forward on debut (perhaps some midfield rotations). It is a big step up. A big learning curve.

As for Cerra, who is yet to play a full pre-season game, he is coming off an injury plagued year, especially shoulder injuries. At AFL level there will be no mercy. Posters on here were thinking A Pearce wouldn't re-debut until mid-season, yet somehow we now think throwing in Cerra for round 1 might be the thing that marks Lyon as a changed coach who is demonstrating his commitment to the rebuild? I'm not saying you are saying those things (but take a look at wild side's post), but there is no strong argument for Cerra to make a round 1 debut. The main focus should be on how he can be developed best so that when he does debut he is ready to do well.

The best thing for any of them is to not debut together. One by one learn their role, find their feet, pick up the pace, bring in the next one.
Yeah I can agree with that. Won't be surprised either way when it comes to Cerra. I would expect Brayshaw and Banfield to be in though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back