Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Trafficking Accusation:

MFC and AFL Statements:

Melbourne Football Club Media Statement – Joel Smith

The Melbourne Football Club has been advised by the AFL that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations have been asserted against Joel Smith by Sport Integrity Australia.

The Melbourne Football Club is not authorised to make public comment while this is an ongoing matter that is being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia.

It should be noted since the article has been published on the Herald Sun website, Joel’s management has contacted the Club on his behalf to advise that the comments made by the source within the article are not reflective of Joel’s views and the source is not speaking on any authority from Joel.

Joel has made it very clear that he has no issues or concerns with anyone at the Melbourne Football Club.

As the Club has previously stated, we will wait for the investigation to be completed before we update our supporters further.

AFL STATEMENT – JOEL SMITH

The AFL confirms that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) have been asserted against Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code.

Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) has notified Smith that three ADRVs for “Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking” of Cocaine to third parties are asserted against him.

Under the Code, Trafficking in an anti-doping context is relevantly defined to be “Selling, giving, transporting, sending, delivering or distributing a Prohibited Substance, by an Athlete … to any third party [but] shall not include actions involving Prohibited Substances which are not prohibited in Out-of-Competition Testing unless the circumstances as a whole demonstrate such Prohibited Substances are not intended for genuine and legal therapeutic purposes or are intended to enhance sport performance” (Article 1 of the Code).

Further, SIA has notified Smith that an ADRV for Possession of a Prohibited Substance (Cocaine) on 9 September 2022 is asserted against him.

These ADRVs are in addition to that previously asserted against him (in connection with a sample provided by him after the match between Melbourne and Hawthorn on 20 August 2023 which tested positive to Cocaine and its metabolite, Benzoylecgonine).

Smith will continue to be provisionally suspended pending the finalisation of all of these matters, meaning he is not permitted to be part of Melbourne’s football program, including Melbourne’s pre-season training that is currently underway.

Under the Code, the new asserted ADRVs will be further investigated by SIA and these matters may ultimately be heard by an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in the coming months.

Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process, the AFL and SIA are unable to make any further comment at this time.

Last edited:

Think Collingwood supporters need to back off a bit. Maynard's hit Was dirty and if it wasn't finals he would have got weeks.
AFL are also changing the rules to make sure it’ll be a suspension moving forward. No doubt if it was in season he’d have copped a couple at least.

Regarding Shaun Smith I’m not surprised he’s got an opinion on such an issue. He has been greatly impacted by concussion.

Think Collingwood supporters need to back off a bit. Maynard's hit Was dirty and if it wasn't finals he would have got weeks.

Pretty dirty having a drug cheat for a son.

Pretty dirty having a drug cheat for a son.

It's cocaine, an illegal drug. He got caught on game day, but in reality the only person he hurt was himself and made things worse for his club with all the other bullshit going on.

I get the rules, he got caught on game day by the governing body but that's on him.

If Joel takes accountability and takes his whack everyone will move on. He is not a dirty player.

I understand why people are pissy, you can get caught by one body (the club ) and get a 2 or three week suspension, or get caught by the governing body and get 2 years.

Last edited:

It's cocaine, an illegal drug. He got caught on game day, but in reality the only person he hurt was himself and made things worse for his club with all the other bullshit going on.

I get the rules, he got caught on game day by the governing body but that's on him.

If Joel takes accountability and takes his whack everyone will move on. He is not a dirty player.

I understand why people are pissy, you can get caught by one body (the club ) and get a 2 or three week suspension, or get caught by the governing body and get 2 years.

He hurt the Game, Club and Fans.

Let's roll out the red carpet for a bloke done for cocaine on game day and get stuck into the bloke who hit someone in a footy act, apologised and was found not guilty.

Good call mate.

Yeah, there's a big difference between taking Cocaine (prior to) gameday, and taking an actual performance enhancing drug with the intention of gaining an advantage.

Someone has to get caught, it's like speeding, a lot of them do it, only some get done by the hidden cameras.

Heap of them do it, not sure many do it the night before a game.

Coke is in your system 48 hours.

Heap of them do it, not sure many do it the night before a game.

Coke is in your system 48 hours.
Yeh but the performance enhancing effects wouldn't last that long. Anyone that's done it can tell you it wears off quicker than that. However, it's probably foolish of him with that timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you explain this a bit more?

Why does an elite athlete need to be taking recreational drugs 2 days before a game would be my first question. And why should that be acceptable?

People get drug tested at work and this idiot thinks because it's not a PED he can snort a line at half time.

These blokes have alot of money and free time, I would have thought it's only going to help keep the players safe.

Last edited:
Then why is it the general assumption is he had it on a night out before the game

Cocaine is in your system for 48 hours, he has had it pretty close to game day.

Cocaine is in your system for 48 hours, he has had it pretty close to game day.
I'm no expert however I've heard that having cocaine prior to running on to the field of play is a million miles away from having it two nights before the game. Surely this needs to be established (if possible) to determine any punishment if any.

Garbage.

Gleeson said Maynard had every expectation of no collision when he left the ground. It was helmet head who then veered off his line into Maynard after he had jumped. It’s all on the video,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back