Rumour Jon Patton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder not to cross the line, BF does have rules we all abide by regarding mental health issues and unacceptable comments and jokes. Feel free to discuss any topic reasonably but please think before you post.
And please stick to the topic only.
Thanks.

Last edited:

mental health isn’t an excise or copout for serious misconduct. Very convenient timing for mental house. Clarkson should get to hospital and drag the f***er out and get him to face the music. Payton careeris finished but it’s about finishing as a wreck or falling on the sword.

You realise mental health can be an acute thing right?

The bloke has just watched himself being outed as a sex pest on a national scale, and very likely seeing his high profile career fall apart.

Not a surprise to think he may actually be having a rough time of it.

we all like to espouse our 'goody two shoes'...on both sides I have very little compassion.. given the names, places, deeds, and actual
testimony of all concerned.. the women in this are obviously complicit in all this..given the photos that various news hounds have uncovered...

but glad it is being investigated..always a hash tag in this.. always a Facebook or twitter smart ass going on..

Thank * I did all this dumb s**t on the piss before mobile phones and the internet.

You'd get on the squirt, make a dickhead of yourself at a work do, have some questionable interractions with female work colleagues and then Monday have to endure the walk of shame at work along with the silence and icy stares.

You didn't want to do it, but you had to.

By the end of the week you were all friends again.

Thank fu** I did all this dumb sh*t on the piss before mobile phones and the internet.

You'd get on the squirt, make a dickhead of yourself at a work do, have some questionable interractions with female work colleagues and then Monday have to endure the walk of shame at work along with the silence and icy stares.

Simpler times

Thank fu** I did all this dumb sh*t on the piss before mobile phones and the internet.

Simpler times

Indeed

As a FF you need to really go into your career with a goal of "Im going to kick more goals, then I root girls"

At 133 goals, it seems like Patton definetly got more girls then goals. Probably surpassed his goals tally by 19 it seems

I find it far too 'çonvenient' for Patton to have mental health issues just after being busted for really s**t behaviour towards women.

There will always be a chorus of do-gooders wanting to defend him but FFS, this is just a huge cop-out and cover-up. Sure he'll get slapped around behind the scenes and probably have his contract torn up too but this is professional sport and its all about managing the image & reputation as best as they can.

I find it far too 'çonvenient' for Patton to have mental health issues just after being busted for really sh*t behaviour towards women.

There will always be a chorus of do-gooders wanting to defend him but FFS, this is just a huge cop-out and cover-up. Sure he'll get slapped around behind the scenes and probably have his contract torn up too but this is professional sport and its all about managing the image & reputation as best as they can.
I don't think anyone is excusing him or suggesting that mental health should exempt him from consequences. He should and will face them. Career over, and whatever other punishment is deemed fit. Fair and deserved, irrespective of his current mental state.

But you understand that the fact that these indiscretions have just come out are far more likely to send someone to the mental depths than if everything is going normal right? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The fact you give no credence to it because of its "convenience" shows you don't understand the correlation between someone having a rough time (again, completely his fault and not excusable) and underlying mental issues rising to the surface. Point being, its not some miracle coincidence - in fact its highly predictable/would be almost expected given Patton's displayed mental and behavioural shortcomings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone is excusing him or suggesting that mental health should exempt him from consequences. He should and will face them. Career over, and whatever other punishment is deemed fit. Fair and deserved, irrespective of his current mental state.

But you understand that the fact that these indiscretions have just come out are far more likely to send someone to the mental depths than if everything is going normal right? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The fact you give no credence to it because of its "convenience" shows you don't understand the correlation between someone having a rough time (again, completely his fault and not excusable) and underlying mental issues rising to the surface. Point being, its not some miracle coincidence - in fact its highly predictable/would be almost expected given Patton's displayed mental and behavioural shortcomings.
I’ve been trying to write something similar to this and you’ve put it much more eloquently than I could.

Little bit over flogs who commit a dog act (or many), then claim mental health when they finally feel the shame and embarrassment that rightly came their way.

That's it. it's shame and embarrassment, get back out and into it, cop what's coming your way and move on. The longer you delay it, the harder it will get, people won't forget.

I don't think I ever remember the Canberra Raiders (Monahan?) player citing mental illness for letting a dog lick his utensil while being filmed (he did leave the country), he continued playing in the Super League in England. Who was the high profile NRL player filmed bubbling? I can't even remember his name or hear anything about it. I don't think Garry Lyon really cops any flak over Billy's ex anymore.

You realise mental health can be an acute thing right?

The bloke has just watched himself being outed as a sex pest on a national scale, and very likely seeing his high profile career fall apart.

Not a surprise to think he may actually be having a rough time of it.

And he isn't to blame for it? He sent those pics, he pays the consequence.

I accept you have a differing view of the situation than me but sorry, I'm not buying it and never will.

Patton is not the first player to play the mental health card and certainly won't be the last because it has been used so often and strategically now that it blurs the lines of who actually is in serious need of help and who doesn't.

The AFL is a huge business these days and they cannot afford to have front page news damning the organisation (the NRL seems to thrive on it), they prefer to manage it with PR consultants and spin doctors instead. The Hawks are known as the 'family club' so their image & reputation is at stake here as well.

If Patton had/has mental health issues, one would have thought they would have surfaced a little earlier in his 27 years of life instead of after being the centre of attention due to lowlife scumbag behaviour.

I accept you have a differing view of the situation than me but sorry, I'm not buying it and never will.

Patton is not the first player to play the mental health card and certainly won't be the last because it has been used so often and strategically now that it blurs the lines of who actually is in serious need of help and who doesn't.

The AFL is a huge business these days and they cannot afford to have front page news damning the organisation (the NRL seems to thrive on it), they prefer to manage it with PR consultants and spin doctors instead. The Hawks are known as the 'family club' so their image & reputation is at stake here as well.

If Patton had/has mental health issues, one would have thought they would have surfaced a little earlier in his 27 years of life instead of after being the centre of attention due to lowlife scumbag behaviour.
Completely agree.

That's it. it's shame and embarrassment, get back out and into it, cop what's coming your way and move on. The longer you delay it, the harder it will get, people won't forget.

I don't think I ever remember the Canberra Raiders (Monahan?) player citing mental illness for letting a dog lick his utensil while being filmed (he did leave the country), he continued playing in the Super League in England. Who was the high profile NRL player filmed bubbling? I can't even remember his name or hear anything about it. I don't think Garry Lyon really cops any flak over Billy's ex anymore.

Not every one fits the one cookie cutter mould. People react and act differently to stressful situations

Why can’t it be both? Why can’t we think he’s a “scumbag” for his behavior and believe he needs to take responsibility for what he’s done and also accept he may now have a mental health issue albeit brought on by his own actions?

Who says he hasn't battled mental health issues prior to this week, and that maybe it is something that he's been dealing with & seeking treatment for over the years...but unlike the current situation, he's previously been able to receive treatment in private without the world finding out about it

Just because he's been in the spotlight as an AFL player doesn't mean that all aspects of his life have to play out for the world to know about it - that includes seeking or receiving treatment for health issues.

Not everyone wants the world to know when they are struggling and seeking help, and you just have to read the comments section online when an athlete admits to struggling & needing time away from the game to deal with their mental health:
- "What do they have to be depressed about, look what their earning"
- "I'll be depressed if it means earning their salary"
- "They don't know what depression is"
blah blah blah, and the endless other BS comments that are made

I'm not excusing his behaviour, and citing mental health concerns shouldn't excuse what he has done or excuse him from facing the consequences of what he has done. But unless we know his full medical history & what issues he has or hasn't battled over the years, it's also a bit too easy for those of us behind a screen who don't actually know the guy to call this out as BS

Thats a completely fair point of view, which I mostly agree with (certainly with the point on clubs/people using it as a PR shield in the past). It's certainly not something that anyone should want creeping into normality.

The only thing I would add/somewhat disagree with is the bolded.

Quite often people with underlying mental health issues can function completely normal with almost no visible signs showing when life is travelling smooth for them. As soon as there is a hiccup/big issue in their life, they can spiral quickly out of control. This isn't always the case but is far from a rarity. Patton has already visibly shown himself to not be in control of his emotions (see his injury last year which I would argue was a pretty clear precursor/sign of instability), so its far from unreasonable to think this could be valid.

I think everyone understands the skepticism though, given the history of mental health issues being raised during PR nightmares.

They may have surfaced and been treated for earlier, we just don't know. It is not something you would generally want people knowing.

No idea if this is the case here and it still doesn't excuse his behaviour

I have no sympathy for mental issues issues caused solely by ones own actions. Just as I don't if you get a physical injury if you're doing something silly.

Smells like a convenient cover up to me.

If he has a separate long term mental issue that's come about due to this new spotlight... well that's another conversation. But still awfully convenient given he's had other roadbumps such as sport injuries that could have triggered it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back