Workshop Jumper Ideas For 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an issue with wearing a fitzroy inspired jumper in victoria but the bears inspired clash jumpers never get trotted out. We also wear what is basically a fitzroy jumper in every away game. I would like to see the return of our home jumper being used in away games outside of victoria where there isn't a clash.
I agree with this. I loved when we used to wear the home jersey with white shorts back in the three-peat era. There is a lot of love for Fitzroy, but we should lean into the Brisbane Lions identity more.

As a diehard Lions supporter, I am conflicted about our brand. There is no doubt that the old Fitzroy Gorilla jersey, with the navy, maroon and white, is an S tier jersey. It's amazing.

However, Fitzroy was an absolute shambles by the end of their history, while the Brisbane Bears were making finals. It was the Bears who saved the Lions. I feel the Brisbane Lions heavily lean into our Victorian past, and the Bears get shafted at every turn. Apart from a few occasions, all of our heritage jerseys are Fitzroy based.

A solid compromise is to celebrate our history as the Brisbane Lions and the three-peat era as a home, the 80s Fitzroy inspired jersey for away games in Victoria, and a Bears inspired clash.

I love these posts, but I would rather keep our colour combination and turn our home into a historic jersey within itself. We are a Queensland club.
Fitzroy was around in 1883. I think weighting our club heritage and history towards generations of families and fans of that club makes complete sense. I actually think the club does enough for both histories. Not sure what more they can do with the jumpers/ merchandise. Everything is equal (hats, scarves, beanies, tracksuits etc all have Fitzroy and Bears versions). Our interstate away jumper is based on the bears history (has the V and no blue), albeit a shocking design but that's a separate issue.

The bears also might have been winning games but they were a complete shambles off the field as well. Hence the merger. A good club that can stand on its own two feet doesn't seek merger with a dead Victorian club just for the sake of it.

In regard to the home jumper the deeper blue and gold version is a lot better and should be worn. And it is maroon, blue and gold so it is true to the Brisbane Lions.

Something interesting I find is that the Swans seem to have more supporters in Victoria than the Lions do. This is strange considering the merger between Brisbane and Fitzroy was much later than South Melbourne moving to Sydney and of course the immediate success of 3 premierships under the merged lions.

Fitzroy was around in 1883. I think weighting our club heritage and history towards generations of families and fans of that club makes complete sense. I actually think the club does enough for both histories. Not sure what more they can do with the jumpers/ merchandise. Everything is equal (hats, scarves, beanies, tracksuits etc all have Fitzroy and Bears versions). Our interstate away jumper is based on the bears history (has the V and no blue), albeit a shocking design but that's a separate issue.

The bears also might have been winning games but they were a complete shambles off the field as well. Hence the merger. A good club that can stand on its own two feet doesn't seek merger with a dead Victorian club just for the sake of it.

In regard to the home jumper the deeper blue and gold version is a lot better and should be worn. And it is maroon, blue and gold so it is true to the Brisbane Lions.
The club has got much better in recent years and now most things are more or less equal. But for a long time it was difficult to get bears stuff at all. I understand the club was only around for 10 years but both myself and my grandfather supported the bears.
As I mentioned the clash jumper barely ever gets worn where as the red jumper which has no maroon at all in it gets worn every second round. The representation isn't close to being equal at all on the field. I think the merger worked out well for both clubs as it gave the bears a better identity, while Fitzroy were able to maintain a lot of their own identity which I'm not so sure they could have if the roys merged with another Melbourne based team.

In regards to your the home jumper, what you are suggesting is more or less an older style of Fitzroy jumper to be worn in home games and a red version of the Fitzroy jumper to be worn in away games. Whether it looks better (it does) isn't really the issue to me. I would just like to see more on field bears representation because it feels like the club has mostly done away with any remaining bears identity on field.

The club has got much better in recent years and now most things are more or less equal. But for a long time it was difficult to get bears stuff at all. I understand the club was only around for 10 years but both myself and my grandfather supported the bears.
As I mentioned the clash jumper barely ever gets worn where as the red jumper which has no maroon at all in it gets worn every second round. The representation isn't close to being equal at all on the field. I think the merger worked out well for both clubs as it gave the bears a better identity, while Fitzroy were able to maintain a lot of their own identity which I'm not so sure they could have if the roys merged with another Melbourne based team.

In regards to your the home jumper, what you are suggesting is more or less an older style of Fitzroy jumper to be worn in home games and a red version of the Fitzroy jumper to be worn in away games. Whether it looks better (it does) isn't really the issue to me. I would just like to see more on field bears representation because it feels like the club has mostly done away with any remaining bears identity on field.
We wore the bears themed indigenous jumper twice this year. The red jumper is a better jumper than a bears clash strip (predominantly gold is a bit of a pox sporting colour tbh, in my option it always looks trash). We wore our home jumper away against Sydney and the white bears themed jersey quite a few times as well. There is no way they will wear a bears themed jumper in Victoria unless they really want to piss off Victorian fans. So I'm not sure how much more representation there needs to be.

And the home jumper I'm suggesting is a better version of the Brisbane Lions jumper. Got nothing to do with making it more Fitzroy. The blue is already a Fitzroy colour regardless. What is the difference between having royal blue or a darker blue on the home jumper? The blue is synonymous with Fitzroy so regardless of whether it is a light or darker shade it shouldn't make a diff what type we use. Our colours are maroon, blue and gold.

Something interesting I find is that the Swans seem to have more supporters in Victoria than the Lions do. This is strange considering the merger between Brisbane and Fitzroy was much later than South Melbourne moving to Sydney and of course the immediate success of 3 premierships under the merged lions.
Because Fitzroy supporters were set on merging with North (and in previous years other Victorian clubs). The idea of a super team with Carey and co. and the promise of keeping the name Fitzroy and being in Victoria was played out in the media and I think everyone was happy with that. That all went **** up because North got greedy with player concessions (which were rejected by the rest of the comp) and Brisbane came in last minute. So our merger was acrimonious. Swans and Souths much smoother.

I think the other thing is the Sydney fans seems to embrace the souths history a lot more than the Brisbane based fans embrace Fitzroy. Hence why Sydney wears an actual South Melbourne clash jumper at all away games wear possible and their fan base loves it. I couldn't imagine a world where Brisbane based fans would be happy with us wearing the FFC jumper as our away jumper for Victorian games. There would be a revolt. Little things like that and having the AFL break merger agreements alienate the Victorian fans. Also Sydney geographically allows for quicker travels times for Melbourne games. I think a lot of fans would travel to their games.

We wore the bears themed indigenous jumper twice this year. The red jumper is a better jumper than a bears clash strip (predominantly gold is a bit of a pox sporting colour tbh, in my option it always looks trash). We wore our home jumper away against Sydney and the white bears themed jersey quite a few times as well. There is no way they will wear a bears themed jumper in Victoria unless they really want to piss off Victorian fans. So I'm not sure how much more representation there needs to be.

And the home jumper I'm suggesting is a better version of the Brisbane Lions jumper. Got nothing to do with making it more Fitzroy. The blue is already a Fitzroy colour regardless. What is the difference between having royal blue or a darker blue on the home jumper? The blue is synonymous with Fitzroy so regardless of whether it is a light or darker shade it shouldn't make a diff what type we use. Our colours are maroon, blue and gold.
We wore a Fitzroy themed indigenous jumper a couple of times last year. You do make some good points. I don't disagree about the red jumper being a good looking jumper. It's a great looking jumper, when we first started wearing one, I raced out and bought one. I actually have more red jumpers than maroon lions jumpers. I don't think (outside of indigenous round) we should wear a bears themed or bears jumper in Victoria, we should wear a fitzroy themed jumper in Victoria. I like the idea of removing the lion off the red jumper to have a monogram there. I would love to see us wear a maroon bears jumper in our home Q clashes though.

I agree it is a better version, I think the white lion and numbers might be better than the gold as well.

I think the other thing is the Sydney fans seems to embrace the souths history a lot more than the Brisbane based fans embrace Fitzroy. Hence why Sydney wears an actual South Melbourne clash jumper at all away games wear possible and their fan base loves it. I couldn't imagine a world where Brisbane based fans would be happy with us wearing the FFC jumper as our away jumper for Victorian games. There would be a revolt. Little things like that and having the AFL break merger agreements alienate the Victorian fans. Also Sydney geographically allows for quicker travels times for Melbourne games. I think a lot of fans would travel to their games.
Personally I wouldn't mind an FFC jumper at Victorian games (outside of finals) but not at all away games. How would Fitzroy supporters feel about us wearing a bears jumper at home though? I imagine it wouldn't go down too well, nor am I suggesting it should outside of Qclash, but there has to be a fair balance of respect to both clubs as well as pushing forward with the clubs own identity. Having said all that though, if those are our main issues with the club then they're probably doing a lot right.

It's not terribly strange. The Brisbane Bears for all intents and purposes "bought" the branding, instead of relocating a club. A lot of ex-Fitzroy supporters feel like their club was taken from them, rather than support an interstate club. In South Melbourne's case, they literally just relocated.

Also our white clash is garbage - the yellow kit under Majestic was a fantastic kit.

Because Fitzroy supporters were set on merging with North (and in previous years other Victorian clubs). The idea of a super team with Carey and co. and the promise of keeping the name Fitzroy and being in Victoria was played out in the media and I think everyone was happy with that. That all went **** up because North got greedy with player concessions (which were rejected by the rest of the comp) and Brisbane came in last minute. So our merger was acrimonious. Swans and Souths much smoother.

If Fitzroy had merged with North a few things would have happened. Firstly, the club would be called the North-Fitzroy Kangaroos, creating the first hyphenate team in the AFL. Knowing how the Roos board approached things, they would probably have dropped the Fitzroy branding in the 2000s.
Secondly, the Lions branding would cease to exist. To re-iterate, though, ours was not really a merger, but a takeover. This is why i have colleagues in Melbourne who grew up Fitzroy fans but swapped to Geelong/Carlton when the Brisbane Lions came into existence.

There would also be no revolt. Most Brisbane fans wouldn't care or understand. What it would be is a recognition of history, and help people outside of Melbourne to understand the significance and recognise the heritage. In saying that, our branding has gone past the FFC monogram and become the Lion, and we have one of the best looking away kits in the league (in my opinion). If we could wear blue shorts it would be even better, but it depends on the opponent.

Edit. I put this forward last year, hoping for something maybe to happen if we change manufacturers this year
2022_Lions.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fitzroy had merged with North a few things would have happened. Firstly, the club would be called the North-Fitzroy Kangaroos, creating the first hyphenate team in the AFL. Knowing how the Roos board approached things, they would probably have dropped the Fitzroy branding in the 2000s.
Secondly, the Lions branding would cease to exist. To re-iterate, though, ours was not really a merger, but a takeover. This is why i have colleagues in Melbourne who grew up Fitzroy fans but swapped to Geelong/Carlton when the Brisbane Lions came into existence.

There would also be no revolt. Most Brisbane fans wouldn't care or understand. What it would be is a recognition of history, and help people outside of Melbourne to understand the significance and recognise the heritage. In saying that, our branding has gone past the FFC monogram and become the Lion, and we have one of the best looking away kits in the league (in my opinion). If we could wear blue shorts it would be even better, but it depends on the opponent.

Edit. I put this forward last year, hoping for something maybe to happen if we change manufacturers this year
View attachment 1471212
I strongly support this. I think a monogram could work if it was BLFC and not FFC but as you said our branding is strongly associated with the Fitzroy lion, which was why our rebranding was such an epic mistake. My all time favourite jumper is the chevron jumper we wore from 92-96.

I strongly support this. I think a monogram could work if it was BLFC and not FFC but as you said our branding is strongly associated with the Fitzroy lion, which was why our rebranding was such an epic mistake. My all time favourite jumper is the chevron jumper we wore from 92-96.
I get what you mean, but BLFC isn't even our proper name. It's BBFFC or BLAFC, which would both be a theoretical monogram mouthful.

I also love the V kit, as well as the cerise Bears pyramid, and would love them brought back again (this time not as just a hall of fame kit).

Why wouldn’t Port wear black with grey/silver prison bars and grey silver with black prison bars as the clash? I know it’s not the original, but it’s the colours you now use and would look great and would be instantly recognisable as Port Adelaide. It would still be maybe the best jumper in the league? Is Kochie and others leading Port too bloody minded and because of this, are playing in a inferior guernsey now than what they could be?

Why wouldn’t Port wear black with grey/silver prison bars and grey silver with black prison bars as the clash? I know it’s not the original, but it’s the colours you now use and would look great and would be instantly recognisable as Port Adelaide. It would still be maybe the best jumper in the league? Is Kochie and others leading Port too bloody minded and because of this, are playing in a inferior guernsey now than what they could be?
Silver and black bars 😍

Traditional prison bars jumper with teal and/or silver shorts or socks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back