Justin Charles..Richmond ruckman..drug cheat??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
What ever happened to Justin Charles after he was caught cheating for using roids??

he played a few more games after his suspension i think and then retired..???

did he stay in football??

if i remember correctly he also played baseball in the states...i think when he got caught one of the things he said was all the American baseball players use them.. he wasn´t wrong there.

To his credit when he got caught i´m sure he manned up and admitted it and apologised and didn´t come up with some bullshit excuse like they all do (spiked drink, hormones in chickens ect). Must of been a tough time for him. Why the hell would you do it on such good money anyway??? silly. and it was equipoise a drug used for horses and pigeons...what was he thinking

What did he end up doing, where did he go? he still play at lower levels?

The reason he did it was to get onto the football field. He was troubled by an injury and stupidly decided to take the risk.

The money and other reasons would have made it enticing to get on the field at any cost rather than face delisting.

I think he went around schools warning about the use of steroids perhaps to salvage his image.

When you read this it makes you wonder.

Justin Charles - I would do it again.

Coached Nth Footscray for at least a season.
Heard he copped so much crap from the sidelines that he gave it up.
Saw him a few years ago at my chiropractors in Yarraville dressed in overalls.

Although he is essentially a drug cheat, I dont see him in the same light as Marion Jones etc.

Just a passionate bloke desperate to play footy.

The term 'drug cheat' wasn't entrenched in the public psyche like it is today. Nobody was sure what sort of penalty he'd get. Can't remember anyone saying at the time that he got off lightly with a 16-week suspension although Barassi said later that, after initially thinking the penalty was fair, he'd changed his mind and thought it should've been more severe.

Coached Nth Footscray for at least a season.
Heard he copped so much crap from the sidelines that he gave it up.

This alone lends support to the modern "three strikes" approach, doesn't it.

To his credit when he got caught i´m sure he manned up and admitted it and apologised and didn´t come up with some bullshit excuse like they all do (spiked drink, hormones in chickens ect).

Or took them because his mum told him to.

Just a passionate bloke desperate to play footy.
True. I remember one game when he was at the Bulldogs, he leapt off the bench at one point and started to to wave his arms at the coaching box, trying to get the attention of the coach so he could go back on. He just loved his footy.

Turned down quite a bit of coin offered by US baseball scouts. It would have been AAA leagues as a minimum. Would have earned more in baseball than footy by all accounts.

True. I remember one game when he was at the Bulldogs, he leapt off the bench at one point and started to to wave his arms at the coaching box, trying to get the attention of the coach so he could go back on. He just loved his footy.

Turned down quite a bit of coin offered by US baseball scouts. It would have been AAA leagues as a minimum. Would have earned more in baseball than footy by all accounts.

I don't think so. Justin was playing in the Florida Marlins organisation, so he had already been signed, and it wasn't for a massive million dollar signing bonus like Glenn Williams. As for playing in the minors, you don't do it for the money.

JC is playing baseball at Wiiliamstown again after captain coaching Port Melbourne for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?

Ben Johnson, 1988 Olympics.

It was something that "only happens in other countries". The media blindly defended any Australian sportsperson who returned a positive drug test.

Stephen Mount (premiership CHB) claimed players in the 1980 side used steroids, and Brian Taylor said he was offered them while at Richmond. These claims, made in the 90's, weren't sensationalised by the media like they would be today.

Probably wouldn't have made it in Baseball USA style. Much much harder than you think to be a top level player in that game.
He was very unfortunate doing the steroid thing, and, had his career wrecked, when a few later "models" should have gone by the wayside before him.
I reckon too his passion and need to play footy drove him to "cure" that injury, whats the difference between that and getting injections before a match.
Hypocrasy reigns supreme in the sporting world because there are degrees in guilt in everything that goes on. When scientists still keep developing drugs that can't be detected what message does it send to any athlete "oh I'll try that just so I can do what I love, thats playing sport". We all know there are drug cheats and drug abusers. There is a difference, I can tell you. Trying to get muscle healthy again isn't to me some bleeding crime, but getting high and behaving like a crim or a drongo well thats another story.
If you are ever unfortunate enough to need an organ donation transplant check out the steroids jammed into the old body in the beginning of your recovery.You wouldn't get a game in the kindergarten backyard left overs.

Spoke to him several times some 5 or so years ago. Worked for his father's company (plumbing or electircal business) and had difficulty climbing ladders (almost crippled). Very genuine bloke and a real gentle giant - did go on a fair bit about alternative medicine and therapies though: almost obsessed with the subject.

Or took them because his mum told him to.[/QUOTE said:
Interesting point - it amazes me how little this period of Warne's career is mentioned these days. The "me Mum gave it to me" line was clearly a blatant lie, highly doubtful a professional sportsperson would knowingly ingest something without checking it out first.

Then there's the time he was receiving money for "pitch condition reports"...

We seem to gloss over the true facts about Warne - he was a drug cheat and a match-fixer. Brilliant cricketer but a cheat.

Amusing that this was asked by an Essendon fan, but it is a fair question. Aside from the ASADA investigation, which was actually brought about due to investigations by the ACC, the AFL was "clean" for years. Stretches believability, really.

Back in the 70s, steroids were available to footballers. Although there were always suspicions that they may be detrimental to future health, it wasn't illegal for sports people to use them if desired. I know of cases where coaches and boards were divided on whether they should use steroids to increase bulk and performance. I would have no doubt some players would have been on the sauce back then, but as I said, they weren't illegal.

By the time Justin Charles was found guilty, the landscape had changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back