Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone can argue that JL comes across as nervous, fidgety, anxious and pretty uninspiring in the media duties.
It’s hard to imagine he’s an entirely different guy behind closed doors in the training round. Happy to be proven wrong on that however.

At times it’s painful to listen to JL interviewed. It makes me feel on edge even listening to him and not in a good way.

Despite him "possibly" coming across as nervous, fidgety, anxious and pretty uninspiring when addressing his players, we won quite a few games last year including a final so its not insurmountable.

But best for you to avoid listening to him if that's the affect it has.

The onus on Lyon was to reinvent the team which he failed to do and let us keep plummeting further and further down. On top of that the off field stuff was untenable for sponsors, board and management. Maybe he is a changed man now as he sees it is his last chance?
I dont agree. i think he was white-anted by Bell - same as what is happening now really. Bell wants all the control. RL was never given his chance to see his rebuild through. the injuries we had when he was sacked werent too far off what the eagles are going through right now. I think he'd have a crop of young talent humming. remember he drafted the likes of brayshaw and cerra who both say they stay in contact with him as he was such a strong mentor.

I dont agree. i think he was white-anted by Bell - same as what is happening now really. Bell wants all the control. RL was never given his chance to see his rebuild through. the injuries we had when he was sacked werent too far off what the eagles are going through right now. I think he'd have a crop of young talent humming. remember he drafted the likes of brayshaw and cerra who both say they stay in contact with him as he was such a strong mentor.
23 goals in a row

You can't even blame Bell for that

I will make my judgement about the Ross Lyon sacking at the end of this year. I will be disappointed if he takes St Kilda deep into finals and we languish....... but that might not happen..........

i dont get your point about 23 goals in a row? are you talking about 1 game?
I'm talking about the game Lyon coached down in Geelong when we gave up 23 goals in a row. That is the worst performance in VFL/AFL history. Just like 2016 was the worst drop-off in form (from Minor premiers to 3rd last) in VFL/AFL history.
When you coach such historically bad performances -- performances worse than anything a Damien Drum team delivered, performances so bad that not even the worse Fitzroy teams or the youngest Gold Coast/GWS teams could replicate -- then you aren't getting the sack because of "white anting" from Footy Manager or a poor run with injuries.
You're getting the sack because you're current coaching performance is nothing short of putrid.

I'm talking about the game Lyon coached down in Geelong when we gave up 23 goals in a row. That is the worst performance in VFL/AFL history. Just like 2016 was the worst drop-off in form (from Minor premiers to 3rd last) in VFL/AFL history.
When you coach such historically bad performances -- performances worse than anything a Damien Drum team delivered, performances so bad that not even the worse Fitzroy teams or the youngest Gold Coast/GWS teams could replicate -- then you aren't getting the sack because of "white anting" from Footy Manager or a poor run with injuries.
You're getting the sack because you're current coaching performance is nothing short of putrid.
right - so off 1 game he's a bad coach? and off a bottoming out period when he's blooding youth he's a bad coach? On your methodology JL is a pretty bad coach right now.
Lyon is the only coach to take us to a GF, Minor Premiership and sustained success, yet you focus on 1 bad game (which happened to be round 22 in a season we were bottoming out) during a time when we had horrendous injuries and were blooding youth?

It was common knowledge Bell disagreed with Lyon because Lyone would actually stand up to the little white ant.

I don’t think we will finish above St Kilda as long as JL is here and Ross is there
This is the logical equivalent of those statements that Lyon can't coach, won't change and the game has passed him by.

Lyon has obviously demonstrated his ability to get the teams he is coaching to perform at a high level, but it's not an eternal thing. Like almost all coaches, he had his ups and downs. Longmuir has also demonstrated he can get a team humming. He'll have ups and downs with his teams performances too.

I don’t think anyone can argue that JL comes across as nervous, fidgety, anxious and pretty uninspiring in the media duties.
It’s hard to imagine he’s an entirely different guy behind closed doors in the training round. Happy to be proven wrong on that however.

At times it’s painful to listen to JL interviewed. It makes me feel on edge even listening to him and not in a good way.
exactly. i thought this when we first signed him. I really like JL, and everything spoken about him is so positive which is great - he may well have a great footy mind, but from every time i've heard the guy speak, he's so uninspiring and dull. No wonder our guys dont show up until half time. he's probably put them to sleep!

Last edited:
Despite him "possibly" coming across as nervous, fidgety, anxious and pretty uninspiring when addressing his players, we won quite a few games last year including a final so its not insurmountable.

But best for you to avoid listening to him if that's the affect it has.

I think more than anything, we got on a roll last year and played with great confidence HOWEVER we still had 1 major issue - we dont rock up at the game until half time. We were very lucky to win that final after our pathetic start, then guess what, the following week against a better collingwood team we started the same way. It's massive alarm bells for me that we have no idea how to start a game. After all the tough talk over the last few weeks we still let GC jump us, then the Bulldogs game - it was over in the first 5 minutes, the only thing that gave us any hope was their inaccuracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think instead of getting rid of JL they need to bring in someone like Don Pyke to help him. They didn’t bring anyone new coaches in from outside to replace Josh carr I think that was a mistake

Think instead of getting rid of JL they need to bring in someone like Don Pyke to help him. They didn’t bring anyone new coaches in from outside to replace Josh carr I think that was a mistake

I agree that we could have a better crew of assistants but really, what has Don Pyke done to make you think he's better than what we've got or will be able to improve us in any great way? His record isn't that good.

I agree that we could have a better crew of assistants but really, what has Don Pyke done to make you think he's better than what we've got or will be able to improve us in any great way? His record isn't that good.
the crows played a very attacking game style under him…

he’s also been credited for turning Sydney into a more attacking team last year. Him & JL could be the perfect mix

Not sure how ppl can think JL doesnt come across as boring and uninspiring. He sounds so dull. The fwd line is the issue. Lobb isnt even good but managed to kick 40 goals last year and then you lost him. Lyon is a way better coach.

Anyway I came here to ask about brayshaw...what's up with him? Niggle?

Not sure how ppl can think JL doesnt come across as boring and uninspiring. He sounds so dull. The fwd line is the issue. Lobb isnt even good but managed to kick 40 goals last year and then you lost him. Lyon is a way better coach.

Anyway I came here to ask about brayshaw...what's up with him? Niggle?

Is your new coach any better than Leon? Leon was terrible but I'm not sure you've progressed with Kingsley.

the crows played a very attacking game style under him…

he’s also been credited for turning Sydney into a more attacking team last year. Him & JL could be the perfect mix

Hmm, If you want an attacking coach then Matthew Knights had the most attacking game plan when he had Essendon and now he's with Scott at Geelong. There's some closely connected recent success there which is important imo. I guess Sydney were sort of successful last year despite not winning the flag and getting belted in the GF, and Pyke was assistant at WC for their latest flag from memory so certainly not the worst, and is from WA, I just think there are perhaps better.

Wanna bet?

End up of the year absolutely could.
While you can never rule out the inner toddler of a club board to snatch the decision-making reins, it'd be highly unlikely (not to mention irrational and risky for their own spots) for Longmuir to be ousted this year. Longmuir would become the victim of the expectations he helped set last year by going ahead of the curve.

Next year is more likely, if performances don't lift and they've revamped (or at least reviewed) the coaching set-up across the intervening off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back