Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t that say more about Longmuir than the assistant that suggested it to him.

I’ve said many times he seems to want for the team to play his way rather than a way that suited the players we have at our disposal. Our list management seems to have recruited for us to play a completely different way to how Longmuir wants and tbh I think it’s our list management team that has it right.

He seems stubborn as a coach and the lack of trying new things is only part of that.

Unfortunately I think both Graham and Boyd probably leave if Longmuir does unless Graham gets the job himself, in which we’d still need to replace Graham as an assistant coach.
If Jlo goes he’ll be replaced my experience.

Certainly did. Dumb error by myself.

The parallels with how we sacked Mark Harvey are there. Only differences are being soft as a club compared to 2011 and there being no Ross Lyon available. Ross Lyon wasn't available until he actually was though! Good clubs make things happen but we just make excuses for a poor coach instead.
I’m interested in your opinion on two fronts.
First who would you have successfully hired to move west to coach us in 2024.
Secondly we’ve turned over our whole coaching panel within 5 years.
What is your expectation/timelines for change?
If you got the coach you list and freo failed to make finals in 24 25 would you swap again?

I’m a big fan of Ross and very grateful for his time here but we are flagless.
Why look at past failures to guide us.

I’m interested in your opinion on two fronts.
First who would you have successfully hired to move west to coach us in 2024.
Secondly we’ve turned over our whole coaching panel within 5 years.
What is your expectation/timelines for change?
If you got the coach you list and freo failed to make finals in 24 25 would you swap again?

I’m a big fan of Ross and very grateful for his time here but we are flagless.
Why look at past failures to guide us.
Tbh I don't think we had a top four list in the competition at any time during Ross Lyon's stint as coach. Was tasked with improving a list just below that level (good top end talent, rest of the list was poor) in a time period where the draft was gutted by Gold Coast/GWS concessions - didn't have much to work with other than what he already had. Calling his time at the club a failure doesn't take into consideration what he was working with. I'm reasonably confident no other coach gets us into a Grand Final.

As I said previously Ross Lyon wasn't available in 2011 basically until he became our coach. I don't rate Longmuir and want him replaced before this list is wasted. I don't think it needs to be an experienced coach, in fact second time coaches have been rather unsuccessful lately tbh (although small sample size).

Tbh I don't think we had a top four list in the competition at any time during Ross Lyon's stint as coach. Was tasked with improving a list just below that level (good top end talent, rest of the list was poor) in a time period where the draft was gutted by Gold Coast/GWS concessions - didn't have much to work with other than what he already had. Calling his time at the club a failure doesn't take into consideration what he was working with. I'm reasonably confident no other coach gets us into a Grand Final.

As I said previously Ross Lyon wasn't available in 2011 basically until he became our coach. I don't rate Longmuir and want him replaced before this list is wasted. I don't think it needs to be an experienced coach, in fact second time coaches have been rather unsuccessful lately tbh (although small sample size).
We are in the top 4 for youngest team.
The last couple of premiers have been dads army and you’re already worried about the list being wasted ?
Looking over the list in my eyes it should hit optimum 2025-2029.
In my opinion
Finals is a pass for 2024
Prelim/GF is a pass in 2025
If we sacked him after 2023 your blowing up everything.
We have the most players (15) signed until 2026.
Serong Amiss Jackson young cox Darcy and the like have signed long term deals ( 4 of non WA).
They have done this because they believe in what’s cooking.
I understand the impatience but when freo has the most rising star noms of any club during JL tenure it shows us moving forward.
2015-2019 was bloody hard as a supporter but that can’t be relevant when speaking of JL tenure 2020-2023

Last edited:
The last couple of premiers have been dads army and you’re already worried about the list being wasted ?
In my opinion
Serong Amiss Jackson young cox Darcy and the like have signed long term deals ( 4 of non WA).
I understand the impatience but when freo has the most rising star noms of any club during JL tenure it shows us moving forward.
2015-2019 was bloody hard as a supporter but that can’t be relevant when speaking of JL tenure 2020-2023
This basically summarises my feelings. I think it is obvious that the departures we've had are at least partially due to our want to lock away the core long-term. I'm not sure that strategy has been used before so it's untested. I suspect it's going to jackpot shortly.

One thing is for sure, we're not in a rush. There is no 2024 or bust. Doesn't mean expectations are low this year but it's far from curtains if 2024 isn't a big improvement.

It's a combination of those two things that makes me think JL is safe barring actual catastrophe. The club is in this one together. They probably forecasted the bumpy road due to the list strategy and I doubt they bail this year unless forced to by dreadful performance.

This basically summarises my feelings. I think it is obvious that the departures we've had are at least partially due to our want to lock away the core long-term. I'm not sure that strategy has been used before so it's untested. I suspect it's going to jackpot shortly.

One thing is for sure, we're not in a rush. There is no 2024 or bust. Doesn't mean expectations are low this year but it's far from curtains if 2024 isn't a big improvement.

It's a combination of those two things that makes me think JL is safe barring actual catastrophe. The club is in this one together. They probably forecasted the bumpy road due to the list strategy and I doubt they bail this year unless forced to by dreadful performance.
Agree.
If there’s a coach change in 2025 it’s not for a rebuild coach it’s for the best game day/tactical coach available because our list has legs until 2030

Agree.
If there’s a coach change in 2025 it’s not for a rebuild coach it’s for the best game day/tactical coach available because our list has legs until 2030
I'd take C.Scott if available and this year underwhelmed. Not sure that's plausible.

I wouldn't discard JL for another 2023 unless someone of that ilk was available and they can't come with baggage (wouldn't want Clarkson etc) since we've put so much work into the types of characters we recruit.

In my opinion
I’m still in the sack Longmuir unless we’re playing highly competitive footy by mid-2024 camp, but your post has me wavering! The first 8 weeks will be crucial … he doesn’t have many tickets left.

I’m still in the sack Longmuir unless we’re playing highly competitive footy by mid-2024 camp, but your post has me wavering! The first 8 weeks will be crucial … he doesn’t have many tickets left.
We are not that far apart
I love what he’s doing, I believe we will play finals in 2024 if we don’t without unforeseeable circumstance I will be open to a new coach if the appropriate candidate is gettable for the 2025 season.
But sacking him at the end of 2023 would put us on the path to blues last 20yrs.
We will play finals in 2024

I reckon he has more than you think.
He ticks most boxes the only question is tactical.
Leppa is the mastermind but he fails in other areas.
No way does McRae win a flag without leppa, a big influence in tigers dynasty but looked way out of his depth as head coach(now with experience could be good)
If we fail for finals but the club is set on JL seeing out longer.
A leppa or don pyke type as jl right hand man is a non negotiable

No way does McRae win a flag without leppa, a big influence in tigers dynasty but looked way out of his depth as head coach(now with experience could be good)
Someone definitely needs to fix our turnover game that's for sure.

I probably agree with this. There may be a left field situation as happened when we grabbed Lyon that mixes it up: Chris Scott may be available. But I think the course is set now. I just don't accept that we should be looking at a bumpy road for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m optimistic and believe we have a Richmond build going.
2006-09 they drafted their key talent and had a mongrel defensive coach in Terry Wallace.
Hardwick took over in 2010 and grew with the group.
No finals wins in first 7 years

2016-19 freo drafted well and RTB was a defensive mongrel coach.
JL started when covid started in 2020 for two years training and preparation was hampered.
He won a final in his fourth year and last year was the step back to go two forward working on our fwd structure which had great results but inconsistent
This year we will be back to the top 6
Next year we win the flag!
Woo! 2025 still on track!! hehhehheh

Problem is tactical is probably the most important thing for our list in 2-3 years. We haven't got a generational list here imo - it's a potentially good list that could nab one on our day if we get lucky. Without a game plan and/or tactics that suits the list we won't even be close and luck won't come into it.

Agree.
This but my prediction is the change is made because our list is underperforming and we need to try something different before it's too late.

It's alright to say our list is young but there's still a good group of players aged 28-29 this year that will need replacing if we're not careful. Outside of Alex Pearce I'm not sure we've drafted replacements yet either.

Last edited:
If this were to happen how will you Fremantle fans feel about this

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back