Justin Reeves resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how many of these people calling Clarko out now did at the time the incidents occurred and/or when he was Hawthorn coach. It's easy to cast stones when someone is no longer a member of the tribe. Tougher is calling our tribal leads to account.

It's called a parasocial relationship.
My partner is learning about it in her Masters. The example they use is a teenager forming one with a social media star, and a grown man forming one with his favourite sportsperson.

It can be highly exploitative.
Ok this sort of stuff way OTT (in the context of what most people sympathetic to Clarko in here are saying).

I for one appreciate what he was able to achieve with the club and believe that he currently hasn't been afforded natural justice. I hope this changes soon.

Nothing hero worship about it.

Last edited:
Ok let's s**t all over Leigh Matthew's legacy while we're at it. He was no saint, but he's a Hawthorn legend, so reckon Clarko deserves more respect. But anyway, said my piece.

You'd never be lost for work in the agricultural sector with that kind of strawman ability.

I wonder how many of these people calling Clarko out now did at the time the incidents occurred and/or when he was Hawthorn coach. It's easy to cast stones when someone is no longer a member of the tribe. Tougher is calling our tribal leads to account.

A bit like how Clarko was happy to throw stones at our club the other week before he stood down at Norf. Are Clarko's acolytes okay with him just taking potshots at our club because he doesn't work here? This isn't the Clarkson Football Club - and it seems some posters need to be reminded of that.

A bit like how Clarko was happy to throw stones at our club the other week before he stood down at Norf. Are Clarko's acolytes okay with him just taking potshots at our club because he doesn't work here? This isn't the Clarkson Football Club - and it seems some posters need to be reminded of that.
He turned on us very quickly. And the man is known to hold a grudge. This won't be rectified for years. If ever.

The disgraceful unprovoked cowardly king hit on Ian Aitken in an exhibition game in London always made me wary of AC. The incident should have resulted in a suspension from the next season.
I’ve never actually seen vision of AC hitting Aitken. So I googled it.

He’d be looking at jail time if that was not done on a football field nowadays. I know a slightly different game back then but still.

Not sure why people are dredging up the Aitken incident. Everyone knew that when we employed him and celebrated his successes. Just as everyone knew about Mathews on Bruns, or Dermies racial abuse of Chris Lewis (or acts of on field violence) -still both legends at our club.

Let Clarko be judged on what he did or didn’t do here, but this is a bit of a slippery slope.

Not sure why people are dredging up the Aitken incident. Everyone knew that when we employed him and celebrated his successes. Just as everyone knew about Mathews on Bruns, or Dermies racial abuse of Chris Lewis (or acts of on field violence) -still both legends at our club.

Let Clarko be judged on what he did or didn’t do here, but this is a bit of a slippery slope.

When he still has aggression issues it's fairly relevant. Derm isn't racially abusing people in the commentary box and Lethal isn't starting melees at board meetings.

Last edited:
When he still has aggression issues it's fairly relevant. Derm isn't racially abusing people in the commentary box and Lethal isn't starting melees at boarding meetings.
Wasn’t on the board but out of interest were people worried about his well known aggression issues 2004-2015? I suspect not.

This really irked me. And then he played the 'oh maybe I worded it badly' card - no mate, you were trying to intimidate a woman who was doing her job. Calling a journo a utensil head is kinda funny - being needlessly aggressive to a woman asking about a player's alleged threats towards women - not so much. The fact that Thomas is allowed back in their AFL program when he still hasn't been cleared of some pretty heinous charges, and only weeks after that moronic car stunt he pulled, shows the poor judgement Clarko is becoming more and more guilty of these days.

The weird behaviour towards players too shows a slight controlling streak also - tracking down Buddy when he was on holiday, buying a dog for someone without their input. These aren't warm and cuddly 'oh he just cares!' things they are genuinely not normal behaviour and he absolutely needs to work on it.
You left out the worst thing he did:

Make draftees sing Christmas carols to strangers :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While people are so keen to put the boots into Clarko because of the incident with Aitken, let's remember that the bloke who razzed him up to that level was our club father John Kennedy.

There isn't one without the other.

Don't forget assaulting a fan, it's a seriously long wrap sheet.

This strange individual worshiping is so strange to me it's a childlike mentality where you put famous people on this pedestal, little wonder why actors at award ceremonies act holy than thou.
Lol this whole board is dedicated to hero worship. We idolise our great players, have their numbers on our backs and people literally have images of their heroes in their avatars. That’s football, and part of the joy of having heroes and villains and an escape from the grind of reality for many.

Clarkson is our most successful coach who helped bring a shitload of joy and great memories to plenty of people, it’s not strange at all that people defend him. Some might know a little more about him through various connections or what have you and, given some of the crap that gets mentioned, feel impelled to defend. Again nothing wrong with that.

I get the past year or so hasn’t been kind to his legacy, so everyone is entitled to their views. Particularly with the racism scandal. But I haven’t seen anything too much in terms of ‘worshipping’, if anything the board seems by generally consensus pretty against clarko these days…

You left out the worst thing he did:

Make draftees sing Christmas carols to strangers :eek:

Closest I got was Kennett parking outside my house and saying hello to me when he was off to do some shopping one day. Prick had the nerve to park in a residents parking spot too.

İmagine your coach knocking on your hotel door in Las Vegas while on holiday?
That was the final resigning deal breaker. Buddy responded by contacting his agent and telling him he wanted out. The intrusion into Buddy’s holiday was too much.

While people are so keen to put the boots into Clarko because of the incident with Aitken, let's remember that the bloke who razzed him up to that level was our club father John Kennedy.

There isn't one without the other.
Razzed him up for an overseas exhibition game is really over the top. After the king hit AC wanted to come off the ground however JK declined his request telling him he needed to be held accountable for his actions. Direct source JK!

JUSTIN REEVES RESIGNS
Yep, fair point- off topic. Getting back to the Reevester, and what this means. This review, story telling, welfare check or whatever, is in for an absolute pasting. HFC needs to cop it and try and do the right thing from here.

Razzed him up for an overseas exhibition game is really over the top. After the king hit AC wanted to come off the ground however JK declined his request telling him he needed to be held accountable for his actions. Direct source JK!
No, it's not over the top.

Other people were in that dressing room that day.

I might have even spoken to one or two of them in my lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back