Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subbed, for future reference.

Another name to look out for Knightmare, Eastern Ranges' Jai Jordan.

Went to school with him albeit a 3 year age gap.

Small profile.

Name: Jai Jordan.
Date Of Birth: 27/06/1994.
Position: Tall Forward.
Height: 190cm or 6'3''.
School: Mooroolbark College.

G'day Jai. :D

Subbed, for future reference.

Another name to look out for Knightmare, Eastern Ranges' Jai Jordan.

Went to school with him albeit a 3 year age gap.

Small profile.

Name: Jai Jordan.
Date Of Birth: 27/06/1994.
Position: Tall Forward.
Height: 190cm or 6'3''.
School: Mooroolbark College.

Am familiar with the name. Will keep an eye out.

Obviously all clubs have a list rating the players from 1 - ?. Under normal non compromised drafts clubs will pick what they consider the best player for the first round and then round 2 onwards pick players for specific roles and building their list for the future.

You are right in that teams sometimes will choose best available 1st round with needs in the 2nd round.

It can differ from team to team though. Some teams purely go based on who the consider best available (highest number on their list - Geelong often take this approach and do so with success). While other teams might take a theme type approach where they have a KPP based draft - we saw this with Carlton in 2010 and Collingwood in 2006.
So there are allot of different ways to draft with varying degrees of emphasis on best available and needs.

But in order to draft there does need to be some type of order to determine who you will select when your selection comes up, 1-50 is probably the most common, but you can have particular selections (eg. round 2 or 3) allocated for a particular need or type of selection.

Hey Knightmare, can you please give us one name to get people talking for next years thread?

One player who I suspect will divide opinion and be one of the more interesting ones to follow this year is Emmanuel Irra.

Really exciting young player who has allot to learn still but the talent is there and he will very quickly become a fan favourite of anyone who watches him play. Irra has incredible speed and evasiveness. Kicking skills excellent for someone who hasn't played all his life - duel sided, penetration good and can make some high difficulty kicks look easy at times. Decision making very good.
I like what he has to offer and improvement should continue this year.

Not suggesting he is a 1st round selection, I see his range being pretty open but on talent I have him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. But he is one who I think will be a real talking point come draft time.

Every club certainly thinks they nailed the draft directly after it happened.

The general process is take a list of say 50 draft prospects ordered from preference 1-50 into the draft. All clubs will have a different order so if you have pick 29 you might get player 17 on your list, or if you have pick 45 then you might get player 32 on your list just because different people will always rate different players differently.

I had the good fortune to chat to a senior person at the Bulldogs after the 2010 draft.

Obviously we had Wallis and Liberatore with our first two picks, but our next pick wasn't until 74.

We had a list of 40 guys we knew would not be available and another list of 15 we thought we were a chance with. Some of those 15 we rated higher than some of those on our list of 40.

Jarryd Schofield was no 1 on our 'possibles' list and we took him. We rated Schofield top 30 overall (he could play to, if he could have been bothered, perhaps others knew that).

The other players we wanted that we thought were a chance to slide was Jeremy Howe (wrong) and Ariel Steinberg (also wrong).

Our last pick - Tom Hill - was no. 14 on our list of 15.

I had the good fortune to chat to a senior person at the Bulldogs after the 2010 draft.

Obviously we had Wallis and Liberatore with our first two picks, but our next pick wasn't until 74.

We had a list of 40 guys we knew would not be available and another list of 15 we thought we were a chance with. Some of those 15 we rated higher than some of those on our list of 40.

Jarryd Schofield was no 1 on our 'possibles' list and we took him. We rated Schofield top 30 overall (he could play to, if he could have been bothered, perhaps others knew that).

The other players we wanted that we thought were a chance to slide was Jeremy Howe (wrong) and Ariel Steinberg (also wrong).

It was an interesting draft for WBD in 2010. Two F/S selections then come into the draft allot later with live selections.

Really interesting to hear about the process taken and certainly I can imagine with needs and draft positions it could vary. In this case comes down to talent identification and finding the right guys late - which is certainly never easy.

Moller is a super high level athlete. For a ruckman his size never seen anyone run quite like that. Tap work not bad and will only get better, certainly didn't get monstered during the U18 champs and more than held his own when given opportunities in the ruck. Can also go forward and have some impact.
As I understand it grew up playing a fair bit of basketball. Also from all reports has a great attitude and work ethic.
So I think Fremantle have something to look forward to.

Currently training with GWS so will be interesting to see how that unfolds

Dalrymple had a lot to do with hill at northern and vic metro 16s pretty poor selection for mine

I definitely like the Nick Vlastuin pick. exceptional skill set and could easily become an elite A grade footy player. He has a very level head on him as well, a really nice kid.

Is there any word on how well Stringer will be able to recover? Gee it's an ugly looking injury. I'd absolutely LOVE him in Port colours though.

Jake+Stringer+TAC+Cup+Rd+1+North+Ballarat+jLaEg8E4z6ll.jpg

Shocking injury and photo:thumbsdown:

All reports he has fully recovered and will represent AIS against Box Hill in a few weeks.

Let you know how he goes.

lachlan whitfield will be out right #1 draft pick can dominate in all aspects of game and damage teams with his elite kick

another one to jump real high in the draft top 15 is jason pongracic great leadership skills mature body with very clean hands is looking to have a massive season and stamp his authourity ad one of the TAC elite players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lachlan whitfield will be out right #1 draft pick can dominate in all aspects of game and damage teams with his elite kick

another one to jump real high in the draft top 15 is jason pongracic great leadership skills mature body with very clean hands is looking to have a massive season and stamp his authourity ad one of the TAC elite players

I agree with Whitfield but would have players like Nathan Wright, Oliver Wines, Lachlan Hunter, Aidan Corr, Nathan Horvat, and Darcy Bailey ahead of Jason Pongrasic. I think these players present a complete package! Can’t wait till November, all clubs will be salivating with the depth of this talent pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heard anything about a small Aboriginal kid named Ed McGinty (i think) from Claremont? Know a bloke there who says he's an absolute freak and something would have to go ridiculously wrong for him not to get picked up

I definitely like the Nick Vlastuin pick. exceptional skill set and could easily become an elite A grade footy player. He has a very level head on him as well, a really nice kid.

Vlastuin is a really low risk guy who I see a number of clubs liking early draft. Have to say I agree.

Is there any word on how well Stringer will be able to recover? Gee it's an ugly looking injury. I'd absolutely LOVE him in Port colours though.
Jake+Stringer+TAC+Cup+Rd+1+North+Ballarat+jLaEg8E4z6ll.jpg

He'll be fine. Stringer is a tough guy. He'll rebound this year I have little doubt. Have heard similar reports to Raymann's comments so it sounds like he is on the right track and just about back to his best. Will be great to have him back and hopefully he continues to go from strength to strength.

Pongracic I consider more of a solid 2nd rounder. Real footballer and already playing to a very high level. Would be a 1st rounder most other years but it just comes down to this year there are just so many great draft prospects you can't fit them all into the 1st round.

Heard anything about a small Aboriginal kid named Ed McGinty (i think) from Claremont? Know a bloke there who says he's an absolute freak and something would have to go ridiculously wrong for him not to get picked up

Don't recognise the name but there might be some WA posters who might have some information about his game. Will keep an eye out if I hear the name come up at all.

I agree with Whitfield but would have players like Nathan Wright, Oliver Wines, Lachlan Hunter, Aidan Corr, Nathan Horvat, and Darcy Bailey ahead of Jason Pongrasic. I think these players present a complete package! Can’t wait till November, all clubs will be salivating with the depth of this talent pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh really? Hello F/S bargain :D.

There have been a lot of mixed reports on Hunter. Some are saying he is a 2nd/3rd rounder, some say a 1st. I know this year will tell more, but at the moment, what do most people see him as?

Oh really? Hello F/S bargain :D.

There have been a lot of mixed reports on Hunter. Some are saying he is a 2nd/3rd rounder, some say a 1st. I know this year will tell more, but at the moment, what do most people see him as?

Hunter will be a good get and will be yet another young ball winner to add to those developing inside midfield stocks. But can't see Hunter going 1st round though. No team would spend a 1st round selection in a very strong draft on a guy who can't kick with any consistancy.

But great outcome for the WBD to get yet another F/S who could potentially go in the top half of the draft.

What are your thoughts on Clay Cameron, Knightmare? I've heard that the Suns are looking to pick him up as a Zone selection.

Played at the GC intra-club so we clearly got an eye on him. Heard some decent things about him from some Suns fans, but keen to hear your thoughts.

Really promising prospect and probably the best at this stage from QLD.

Really strong marking key forward. Can also play down back. Probably on the short side for a key forward (around 189cm if my notes are right) so here's hoping he has some more growth left in him - will certainly do no harm to his draft stocks.

Has been spoken about as a potential 1st round draft pick by a number of QLDers but I see him as more of a 3rd rounder onward unless he has a serious growth spurt.

Cameron will certainly get looked at with that zone selection along with Jordan Bourke who is the other to look out for depending on whether Geelong F/S him.

I agree Nathan wright is something every afl club wants and great Blackman that can run the lines and break through zones Oliver wines will be hoping for a big year to put his name up there for a first rounder.

You have a point with the draft Being one of the strongest!
Where would you have Nathan wright I would say mid to late first round can turn defense into attack better then most his age something every AFL clubs wants?

Where would you have Nathan wright I would say mid to late first round can turn defense into attack better then most his age something every AFL clubs wants?

Agree, his talent should see him picked 1st round!! Even if he goes 2nd or 3rd round it will be like a 1st round pick anyway due to the depth of this talent pool.

Was very impressive for the Dandenong Stingrays last year. One of many who could very easily make my list and probably should be on my list. With another strong year can finish first round.

Was very impressive for the Dandenong Stingrays last year. One of many who could very easily make my list and probably should be on my list. With another strong year can finish first round.

With no disrespect Knighmare but I think your list will change particularly when the nationals begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back