Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM do you have the first list you put together for last year, be interesting to see just how much it changed from the one you put up at the end.

Hey Knightmare,

firstly, hope you manage to find the time for some Phantom work this year. Love reading your work and insights. You've inspired me to have a crack this year!

Just a quick question on one of last years draftees - Darcy Parish. I know you thought him a nice player but also had some concerns over some aspects of his play. With his NAB game v Carlton and now round 1 performance against GC, what are your current thoughts?

Thanks again

I've yet to watch Parish v AFL competition this season.

I didn't take an interest in Essendon through the NAB Challenge and on Saturday was at the double header at Visy Park or whatever it's called this year and got home only just in time for the Pies game later on that evening.

In looking at Parish's stats I'm very impressed one game in. 25 disposals with 12 contested possessions with the latter for me being the key with Parish. Gold Coast without Swallow and O'Meara don't have a great midfield group so those numbers don't shock me from Parish, but if he can sustain 10 contested possessions per game in what will in the absence of key midfielders this year be a prominent midfield role then I'll be forced to revise my evaluation of Parish.

Over Parish's career I see him as being more a general midfielder with the versatility to play outside/inside or on a flank as needed. I see him as roughly a 20-25 disposal a game, skilled type. Maybe good for 7-8 contested possessions per game most years. Dal Santo is my view of a best case scenario for Parish on career outcome and I'll stick by that. But Parish if he continues finding the footy like that and winning his own ball may get pretty close.

T
I've yet to watch Parish v AFL competition this season.

I didn't take an interest in Essendon through the NAB Challenge and on Saturday was at the double header at Visy Park or whatever it's called this year and got home only just in time for the Pies game later on that evening.

In looking at Parish's stats I'm very impressed one game in. 25 disposals with 12 contested possessions with the latter for me being the key with Parish. Gold Coast without Swallow and O'Meara don't have a great midfield group so those numbers don't shock me from Parish, but if he can sustain 10 contested possessions per game in what will in the absence of key midfielders this year be a prominent midfield role then I'll be forced to revise my evaluation of Parish.

Over Parish's career I see him as being more a general midfielder with the versatility to play outside/inside or on a flank as needed. I see him as roughly a 20-25 disposal a game, skilled type. Maybe good for 7-8 contested possessions per game most years. Dal Santo is my view of a best case scenario for Parish on career outcome and I'll stick by that. But Parish if he continues finding the footy like that and winning his own ball may get pretty close.

Thanks for the response,

Track watchers and all the media out of Essendon rave about his competitiveness - he seems to have this will to win and avoid being beaten by anyone 1v1.

One thing did stand out to me - his foot skills were not as silky as I was lead to believe. Perhaps due to fatigue / pressure. If he can become as damaging outside as your appraisal suggests and maintain the competitiveness he showed in round one, he could be an absolute gem!

T

Thanks for the response,

Track watchers and all the media out of Essendon rave about his competitiveness - he seems to have this will to win and avoid being beaten by anyone 1v1.

One thing did stand out to me - his foot skills were not as silky as I was lead to believe. Perhaps due to fatigue / pressure. If he can become as damaging outside as your appraisal suggests and maintain the competitiveness he showed in round one, he could be an absolute gem!

That competitiveness is what Parish needs so that's exactly what I'd be wanting to hear.

With juniors taking the next step to AFL level play that first year by foot particularly is almost always a shocker and completely uncharacteristic of what they showed as juniors. Give it a year or two with Parish for him to show his wares by foot more. His efficiency will increase with each year, and getting to play more outside after this year also should help with the availability of more good midfielders from next season for the Dons.

KM do you have the first list you put together for last year, be interesting to see just how much it changed from the one you put up at the end.

Yet to put together a power rankings/phantom draft for the year yet.

I'm yet to even decide who I like most this year.

To give some early insight and as something to compare to later in the year if indeed I do find the time to write up some profiles or get my power rankings up at least...

Jacob Allison looking at his contested ball and contested mark numbers and that height with his skill, footspeed and versatility really intrigues me and is the player I probably rate most highly at this stage. (Bris Academy)

Harrison Macreadie looks like the best key defender in this draft class and has some real midfield qualities with some rare evasiveness with ball in hand as well as his skillset but then further to that has some terrific aerial marking ability. The former with his evasiveness and skills make me think he could play some midfield, the latter makes me think he could play as a key forward. So he's an exciting talent and like Allison another with incredible scope to develop and someone else who could be anything. (GWS academy)

Brad Scheer and Jack Bowes are two more really exciting mids. Scheer for his inside grunt work at stoppages but then also has the composure and skills, marking ability forward of centre and some scoreboard impact, so he can be big time. Then Bowes has that cleanness, class and evasiveness, really absorbs tackles well and uses it so well. (both GC academy)

To get away from the academy players who are the players I'm most excited about going into this year. Jonty Scharenberg is a terrific mid and has a well rounded game as someone who wins it inside, offers scoreboard impact and can take a grab. Will Brodie is another mid who can go very early but his sometimes lack of composure and ball use I'm still waiting to blow me away. Ben Ainsworth is such an advanced small forward and is so much like Jamie Elliott, he'll be terrific round 1, year 1. Jy Simpkin has real class and playmaking ability but needs to improve his contested/inside game with that for me a non-negotiable in any high selection to ensure an AFL career. Petrevski-Seton is as ambidextrous as any in this draft and is one of those more precise ball users, but then really has the pace and ability to take on the game as one of those high impact/hurt factor per disposal types given the way he plays, my issue is he just doesn't find enough of it, so he'll need to do that more and start winning more of his own ball before I put him closer to the top of my draft board. Jarrod Berry as a tall back flanker probably rounds out my rough top 10 at this point.

Who is the best defender in this year's draft and is he worth a top 3 pick with Clarke and Merrett both likely retired at the end of the year I think we'll be thinking defensively this year

Harrison Macreadie (GWS Academy). Only key defender who looks like a top 10 pick at this stage. Jack Scrimshaw is the other key defender I rate as a first round selection at this stage (playing for Sandringham in the TAC Cup). Late first round he might be someone worth consideration and is the name to watch for at this stage.

Did anyone get a full list of AIS player numbers from the AIS v Werribee game?

Just watching the replay of the game now via AFL.com as I speak so would be very handy so that I'm not squinting/pausing the footage all the time to figure out who made what play or so I don't miss any players in my notes.

Cheers.

Who is the best defender in this year's draft and is he worth a top 3 pick with Clarke and Merrett both likely retired at the end of the year I think we'll be thinking defensively this year

Really?? Harris Andrews and McStay both look genuine guns and then Cutler for 3rd tall depth? Would've thought it the least of your worries?

Really?? Harris Andrews and McStay both look genuine guns and then Cutler for 3rd tall depth? Would've thought it the least of your worries?
You're probably right Gardiner and Paparone have been good at times too they all probably just need time we probably should have a look out for a mature key defender though so they don't have play on more muture forwards

Knightmare did Will Brodie go up your list after his game against weribee?

I have mixed feelings about Brodie's game which I'll expand upon if/when I get my draft going.

I still rate Brodie as a top few pick and one of the better midfielders in this draft until someone else really announces themselves, but that game specifically to answer your question didn't elevate Brodie up my draft board and more so was just confirmation of what I already knew in the most part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare, curious as to who you see ready to have a 'breakout' season of sorts, out of those players who have been on an AFL list for 2-3 seasons that are yet to debut or have had limited exposure at senior level?

I have mixed feelings about Brodie's game which I'll expand upon if/when I get my draft going.

I still rate Brodie as a top few pick and one of the better midfielders in this draft until someone else really announces themselves, but that game specifically to answer your question didn't elevate Brodie up my draft board and more so was just confirmation of what I already knew in the most part.
Oh come on, such a tease KM!

Knightmare, curious as to who you see ready to have a 'breakout' season of sorts, out of those players who have been on an AFL list for 2-3 seasons that are yet to debut or have had limited exposure at senior level?

George Hewett of those yet to debut coming into this year was the player who I really liked through the preseason and last year. He is such a high ratio contested/uncontested ball winning that his performances suggest a future as a midfielder at AFL level (though playing more forward for Sydney given how deep that midfield is).

Connor Menadue is another I really love the game of. More so for what he showed as a junior and particularly in his one final in his draft year. But with his sidestep, explosive pace and precision footskills. He has a really nice game and offers Richmond some of the class they are lacking.

Daniel Howe if he can get some more games for Hawthorn can be a piece for them probably off half back.

Of those not currently getting games for their respective clubs: Mason Cox as a Pies man is an easy call and should debut this year. I'll make the call that Jack Hiscox (Sydney) can either later this year or next year establish himself as a best 22 player. Will Fordham for North I also like the game of as a tallish outside mid with some class. Dean Gore for Adelaide I also like and feel can in an onball/half forward type role establish himself later in the year or next year.

Oh come on, such a tease KM!

Can confirm after events this evening I'll be producing AFL draft content again this year. Will provide details somewhere on here when I know the specifics.

All you need to know is....

I'm back!

Hi Knightmare, has Milera shown what you expected so far? Your write up seems pretty on the ball with him.

I didn't expect Milera to get games as early as he has. I was thinking he would more likely get a taste of perhaps 4-5 games this year than start from round one. So that's a bonus that he is playing so early and showing some signs already at AFL level.

Really interested in this and would appreciate if you elaborate when you get the time.

Really interested in this and would appreciate if you elaborate when you get the time.

With Brodie his performances v VFL sides have been impressive. What specifically for me is lacking with Brodie is composure in traffic. There are times where he feels really rushed and gets caught with the ball, makes bad decisions or just fails to execute. He also isn't super quick moving the ball on from frees/marks.

All these elements were made particularly obvious v SA last year during the u18 championships for those who go back over that footage or simply visit youtube for the highlights of that game and the same was obvious v Werribee.

Brodie will be a high selection, but given this fundamental weakness to his game while I value performance, particularly v state league competition, I would feel uncomfortable playing Brodie at number one or two in my power rankings, if I was to produce my power rankings today.

Harrison Macreadie (GWS Academy). Only key defender who looks like a top 10 pick at this stage. Jack Scrimshaw is the other key defender I rate as a first round selection at this stage (playing for Sandringham in the TAC Cup). Late first round he might be someone worth consideration and is the name to watch for at this stage.

Josh Rotham is one to watch could end up top ten, has had so many scouts watching his game already
this season. Seems very well regarded by them.

Josh Rotham is one to watch could end up top ten, has had so many scouts watching his game already
this season. Seems very well regarded by them.

Strong first two rounds with 22 and 24 disposals. He's one to watch and currently fits inside my first round, albeit not yet top 10. Things change over the course of the season though as we all well know.

Some terrific talent in WA this year. WA can challenge this year through the U18 championships if not win it.

Strong first two rounds with 22 and 24 disposals. He's one to watch and currently fits inside my first round, albeit not yet top 10. Things change over the course of the season though as we all well know.

Some terrific talent in WA this year. WA can challenge this year through the U18 championships if not win it.

Just a classy classy player, needs to fill out but is very athletic.
He is getting more attention than any other WA player at the moment.

When are you thinking of putting together you're Phantom Draft for 2016 at the moment who are you're top 3 players

I will be making an announcement on Wednesday evening so stay tuned.

Just a classy classy player, needs to fill out but is very athletic.
He is getting more attention than any other WA player at the moment.

Interesting to hear the hype is getting that big. Will need to keep a closer eye out by the sound of it.

Petrevski-Seton and Powell-Pepper are the two that have really caught my eye. Petrevski-Seton was the most impactful a few weeks back v Werribee and has special talent and impact per possession. Powell-Pepper I really like for his potential as an onballer, and with that size and athleticism I'm really intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back