Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM are there any kids playing school footy and left out of the state squads that could be an under the radar pick like a Jack Ross last year?

Ross was terrific in the APS v AGSV game last year. Sam Sturt was a similar story also. And both coming into TAC Cup late.

I'm not seeing anyone on that level this year. It's a lot more speculative.

More than other years, and maybe the two Vic teams aren't as deep or strong as in some other years, but I'm not seeing as many who feel all that stiff to miss out on selection whereas in years past there would be a number I'd look at and feel shouldn't have missed out.

Jack Ross wasn’t late to TAC, played Round 1

Or being stuck playing school footy and announcing themselves later on as top prospects.

Certainly with Ross he wasn't on my board until the APS v AGSV game and he kept rising rapidly from there.

KM would it be fair to say Ryan Sturgess from the Knights is increasing his draft standing with his two outings so far in the Championships. I have seen him develop this year and even in these two games he is showing a lot of calmness and smarts down back, is a good size, seems rarely beaten and distributes the ball pretty well and is one of those who just seems to get the job done. I know you rate Potter and they are very different players, however to me Sturgess looks the best draft bet from the Knights so far.

KM would it be fair to say Ryan Sturgess from the Knights is increasing his draft standing with his two outings so far in the Championships. I have seen him develop this year and even in these two games he is showing a lot of calmness and smarts down back, is a good size, seems rarely beaten and distributes the ball pretty well and is one of those who just seems to get the job done. I know you rate Potter and they are very different players, however to me Sturgess looks the best draft bet from the Knights so far.

Sturgess is rising up my board and agree so far his U18 Champs has been impressive. For me it's actually more his run that has impressed. He's on the improve and another prospect in his own right.

Hi KM, given the apparent depth of mids this year what are the chances of Cooper Stephens falling to a late first or even second round pick? Would be good to see him in the hoops for sentimental reasons more than anything especially after walking past worpel

I see Stephens being available late first and most likely he goes 2nd - 3rd round, in that similar range to Worpel as a similarly advanced mid who like Worpel at the same age/stage couldn't kick.

Hi Knightmare

Just a hypothetical. Should Carlton finish bottom 2 and the crows get pick 1 or 2, with the quality of Rowell and Anderson, do you see the crows taking that pick to the draft for either of them or do you think there is more merit in them trading that pick for multiple 1st round picks if it can be engineered. Alternatively should they be looking to trade it for Grundy or another player?

Hi Knightmare

Just a hypothetical. Should Carlton finish bottom 2 and the crows get pick 1 or 2, with the quality of Rowell and Anderson, do you see the crows taking that pick to the draft for either of them or do you think there is more merit in them trading that pick for multiple 1st round picks if it can be engineered. Alternatively should they be looking to trade it for Grundy or another player?

If Adelaide can get Grundy. That's the best move for Adelaide. Even if it means giving up the pick + O'Reilly and other pieces to make it happen.

If Adelaide can get both Lukosius and Rankine (hard to see GC moving them) Adelaide should consider that.

Unless it's a trade on that magnitude, Adelaide would surely and should keep the pick.

Hi KM, If the Dees get pick 3/4 what player/s would they likely seriously consider. They need a class player with pace and outside run but its best available that early. Maybe that type of player second round - early pick 20s?
Clubs on the move who have had an ordinary year and drafted well. Hawthorn - Rioli, Geelong Selwood, Maggies - Stephenson. So important for the Dees to get this right.
Cheers,

Hi KM, If the Dees get pick 3/4 what player/s would they likely seriously consider. They need a class player with pace and outside run but its best available that early. Maybe that type of player second round - early pick 20s?
Clubs on the move who have had an ordinary year and drafted well. Hawthorn - Rioli, Geelong Selwood, Maggies - Stephenson. So important for the Dees to get this right.
Cheers,

There will be speedy/classy types available.

My expectation is Rowell/Anderson in some order go 1/2. Leaving Lachlan Ash and Hayden Young as probably those next two and really ideal fits for Melbourne and those most likely considerations at 3/4 at this stage.

It's a good year for a club like a Melbourne to get involved in this year's draft. There is an unusual number of speedy/classy/talented types who add a flavour Melbourne lack. And I'm not just talking about inside the first round. Mid draft, late draft, as rookies.

Assuming the Bulldogs end up around the pick 5/6 range, who do you think would be a good match? I'm liking the look of Will Gould.

Assuming the Bulldogs end up around the pick 5/6 range, who do you think would be a good match? I'm liking the look of Will Gould.

Gould was only ok in SA's first game. His stats overall felt inflated on the back of the number of kickouts he was taking. I thought Hilder was SA's best defender last weekend. I'm thinking about dropping Gould on my draft board and feel he will need to be more influential tomorrow to hold his current position on my board.

If I'm picking in the 5/6 range. While he may not go that high, I'm a Brodie Kemp fan. 192cm who can play anywhere and do anything. Can go through the midfield and win it and burst away at crazy speed. Really solid down back taking intercept marks. But then can play forward. Can be a KPP/flanker. He's a real talent but not as consistent or as high production as some others to be as high on other draft boards as my own.

Sam Flanders also goes well and is appropriate to select in that 5/6 range. Probably another who would fit WBD well with his capabilities forward of centre with that in my view his better spot.

Probably more in the second round is where I see KPPs starting to drop. There isn't that high end option this year at this stage with those who can play KPP expected to go early not necessarily that height where you'd have them playing a KPP their entire careers or even the majority of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adelaide can get both Lukosius and Rankine (hard to see GC moving them) Adelaide should consider that.

:drunk: - So 2 and 3 in a better draft is worth probably 2 this year? Either the kids drafted are like cars and lose 50% of their value as soon as they are playing or you are really valuing unproven talent at AFL level.

Knightmare, what do you think of devon robertson kicking? He defintely is a very good player who finds the ball at ease.

He's racking it up but also moving the ball on with speed and ease which makes him a capable ball user and kick. Particularly through the first two games. Game three he didn't have the same time and space and was typically under a lot more pressure. Seems best kicking the ball when he has time/space to use it. Under pressure only serviceable by foot.

:drunk: - So 2 and 3 in a better draft is worth probably 2 this year? Either the kids drafted are like cars and lose 50% of their value as soon as they are playing or you are really valuing unproven talent at AFL level.

The top few this year are excellent. Rowell and Anderson would each go pick one more years than not.

I see it as highly unlikely Adelaide have the pieces for Grundy or a Lukosius/Rankine combo. That's why I bring them up as those rare scenario's where in Adelaide's situation a trade of that pick would be advised.

Adelaide would have to offer both Matt and Brad Crouch, Darcy Fogarty, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Carlton's 1st and Adelaide's 2020 first round pick if I'm to move Lukosius and Rankine in Gold Coast's situation.

From a Collingwood perspective Adelaide would need to offer: Carlton 1st, 2020 first, Brodie Smith, Reilly O'Brien, Alex Keath and Bryce Gibbs for Brodie Grundy.

And that's because I hold Lukosius and Rankine in exceptionally high esteem in Gold Coast's situation and Grundy in Collingwood's. They're the level of talents that you only give away if you're confident you're on the winning end of the deal. So a scenario Adelaide move that 2019 Carlton first is incredibly unlikely (why would Gold Coast want to trade Lukosius/Rankine when they're both special and their aim is to retain talent? or why would Collingwood trade Grundy when he is individually the difference between Collingwood contending and a side that misses the top 8?) and would require a radical super-trade to happen. But as with anything. Anyone should be available for the right price. Fanciful as each scenario is.

Adelaide would have to offer both Matt and Brad Crouch, Darcy Fogarty, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Carlton's 1st and Adelaide's 2020 first round pick if I'm to move Lukosius and Rankine in Gold Coast's situation.

From a Collingwood perspective Adelaide would need to offer: Carlton 1st, 2020 first, Brodie Smith, Reilly O'Brien, Alex Keath and Bryce Gibbs for Brodie Grundy.
Were you out on the turps last night when you posted this? All of Rankine, Lukosius and especially the PROVEN AFL A grader Grundy might be excellent footballers and talents but the scenarios trade wise you're suggesting there are ridiculously one sided to Adelqaide's detriment.

Were you out on the turps last night when you posted this? All of Rankine, Lukosius and especially the PROVEN AFL A grader Grundy might be excellent footballers and talents but the scenarios trade wise you're suggesting there are ridiculously one sided to Adelqaide's detriment.

That's the exact point.

Gold Coast and Collingwood have no motivation to move those pieces.

If Adelaide ask. What will it take to get these guys? They're the responses I'd be giving because they're players I wouldn't be trading unless Adelaide lost their mind and made an outlandish offer of this magnitude.

Collingwood can retain Grundy as he'll be a restricted free agent so there is reason Collingwood need to trade him. And Gold Coast are set on establishing a culture and having players stay long term.

So given that, the reality is that Adelaide will be retaining Carlton's first pick.

He's racking it up but also moving the ball on with speed and ease which makes him a capable ball user and kick. Particularly through the first two games. Game three he didn't have the same time and space and was typically under a lot more pressure. Seems best kicking the ball when he has time/space to use it. Under pressure only serviceable by foot.

The top few this year are excellent. Rowell and Anderson would each go pick one more years than not.

I see it as highly unlikely Adelaide have the pieces for Grundy or a Lukosius/Rankine combo. That's why I bring them up as those rare scenario's where in Adelaide's situation a trade of that pick would be advised.

And that's because I hold Lukosius and Rankine in exceptionally high esteem in Gold Coast's situation and Grundy in Collingwood's. They're the level of talents that you only give away if you're confident you're on the winning end of the deal. So a scenario Adelaide move that 2019 Carlton first is incredibly unlikely (why would Gold Coast want to trade Lukosius/Rankine when they're both special and their aim is to retain talent? or why would Collingwood trade Grundy when he is individually the difference between Collingwood contending and a side that misses the top 8?) and would require a radical super-trade to happen. But as with anything. Anyone should be available for the right price. Fanciful as each scenario is.
Have you got the YouTube links to yesterday's games yet KM? Let me know if you need them?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Have you got the YouTube links to yesterday's games yet KM? Let me know if you need them?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I put out a tweet in the hope of someone having a link to Metro v SA. No luck as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back