Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kemp could be there and if he is worth strong consideration. As a midfielder he will probably take a few years to come into his own but if you're after high ceiling, Kemp could with time become really good through there and could be a compliment to Cripps and Walsh as not only a ball winner but from the perspective that he has genuine speed, good skills and can also rest forward and become a target there.
Whats the weakness with Kemp? I get the knee issue. But aside from that? Hands below his knees ok? Endurance?

Gould will have no worries in the AFL. Someone of his football nous doesn't come around every day, he is absolute top shelf when it comes to reading the play and playing to structures and instruction. The consumate quarterback and someone who teams will play through all day and night.
Jeremy McGovern?

Whats the weakness with Kemp? I get the knee issue. But aside from that? Hands below his knees ok? Endurance?

Probably doesn't find enough of it - or at least compared to the other top end talents. Unclear where his best position. Could become more consistent across four quarters.

Hands below knees are excellent. Endurance can improve but doesn't appear bad either.

Probably doesn't find enough of it - or at least compared to the other top end talents. Unclear where his best position. Could become more consistent across four quarters.

Hands below knees are excellent. Endurance can improve but doesn't appear bad either.
I think the comp to Bont isn't exactly right and that he's really as close as you can get to Elliot Yeo. Both in positives - size, overhead marking, genuine utility, incredible athleticism - that make Yeo one of the best dozen or so players in the comp. But also in the negatives that the game sense isn't exactly as good as the very best mids.

Obviously if he had Bont level flawless decision making and reading the play he'd be the number 1 pick, so the question how much do you knock him over that and whether he's the type of player who can learn from mistakes and develop. If he goes to a club that can teach positioning and moving the ball smartly without it being reckless then he'll flourish.

I could also add to that he's the longest kick in the draft. He can launch the ball 70m without any difficulty.

B: Hayden Young Fischer McAsey Will Gould
HB: Lachlan Ash Biggy Nyuon Jeremy Sharp
CEN: Deven Robertson Matthew Rowell Dylan Stephens
HF: Caleb Serong Brodie Kemp Liam Henry
F: Finn Maginness Sam Flanders Dylan Williams
FOLL: Luke Jackson Noah Anderson Thomas Green
BENCH: Harry Schoenberg Ryan Byrnes Joshua Shute Trent Rivers

Hayden Young I'm starting to think might be a chance given the rumours surrounding Melbourne getting a general forward with that next choice.
I see you have Robertson on a wing. Is that a realistic position or are you just finding a spot for him?

Doesnt Gould's combine results concern people here ?

Would a player with such bad results get selected in the 1st round these days ?

He probably goes later first round rather than earlier, but he has the attributes and impact games more than others, so I'm not personally fussed.

Will be interesting to see what the clubs decide.

I think the comp to Bont isn't exactly right and that he's really as close as you can get to Elliot Yeo. Both in positives - size, overhead marking, genuine utility, incredible athleticism - that make Yeo one of the best dozen or so players in the comp. But also in the negatives that the game sense isn't exactly as good as the very best mids.

Obviously if he had Bont level flawless decision making and reading the play he'd be the number 1 pick, so the question how much do you knock him over that and whether he's the type of player who can learn from mistakes and develop. If he goes to a club that can teach positioning and moving the ball smartly without it being reckless then he'll flourish.

I can see some Bont, some Yeo. At the end of the day it's a stylistic comparison.

I don't see Kemp's decision making or the way he moves the ball to be a problem, I actually consider both to be strengths. He has gotten to good spots at stoppages and improved in that area pre injury despite having played more KPP previously.

Had he not gotten hurt and continued improving, I very possibly would have him at 4 on my board.

I see you have Robertson on a wing. Is that a realistic position or are you just finding a spot for him?

Just finding a spot. Rowell or Anderson could just as easily be placed outside. The point is more Robertson deserves a starting spot on the field based on performance.

Your draft demonstrates how nicely set up Fremantle is for this draft. Despite th early bid on Henry we still walk away with a great haul.

Fremantle can ultimately move up/down from that second first round pick depending on whether they feel a bid will come. It's far from certain Melbourne make the bid, it just wouldn't surprise me given the talk around them picking a forward with that pick and Henry being better than say Weightman.

Fremantle can ultimately move up/down from that second first round pick depending on whether they feel a bid will come. It's far from certain Melbourne make the bid, it just wouldn't surprise me given the talk around them picking a forward with that pick and Henry being better than say Weightman.
Yes.

The only quibble I have with your selections is Ash instead of Stephens, with Stephens being the better fir for needs. But would be stoked to get Ash in regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM, I’ve been reading through a few player profiles and phantom draft to get an idea of this years draft.

What’s your thoughts on Josh May?
198cm winger. Thought that was interesting.

Yes.

The only quibble I have with your selections is Ash instead of Stephens, with Stephens being the better fir for needs. But would be stoked to get Ash in regardless.

Fremantle would love both ultimately if a bid comes on Henry after their picks. Stephens absolutely is a great fit, but I see Ash as a fit also. Ash I like more for the outside drive with his speed and kicking more damaging, but Stephens is the more prolific ball winner of the two and the more likely to roll through the midfield and up on a wing.

God I hope we take Kemp at 8.

KM if he somehow had a 2-4cm growth spurt do you see him as a genuine KPF prospect? Does he have the forward craft?

Kemp would be a great fit for Melbourne if there. Whether he can push through the midfield and inject height/speed/skill/ball winning. Or if he pushes forward and can be another key forward and have an impact there. He probably won't put it together right away but he is someone with as much upside as just about any in the pool. A worthwhile risk if there.

Have heard a bid for Henry could come as early as Sydney's pick 5 ,they're very big on him .

That would be the first 'wow' moment of the draft if Sydney did bid pick 5. I have heard a few clubs have discussed Henry inside the top 10 as someone they might bid on but had not heard anyone as high as Sydney.

Knightmare who are the mature age players that will be potentially looked at in this years draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will write a piece on the mature agers closer to the draft. Jake Riccardi, Sam Lowson, Luke Partington, Matthew Nunn and Ben Sokol are five I see as firmly being in the selection mix and among the more likely considerations.

Hey KM, I’ve been reading through a few player profiles and phantom draft to get an idea of this years draft.

What’s your thoughts on Josh May?
198cm winger. Thought that was interesting.

Invited to the state combine. Versatile, covers the ground well. An outside draft chance. He hasn't really stood out like a lot of his teammates have this year. He's one I'd like to see another year of development go into in the NAB League and see if he looks better next year as he is intriguing at his height.

Kemp would be a great fit for Melbourne if there. Whether he can push through the midfield and inject height/speed/skill/ball winning. Or if he pushes forward and can be another key forward and have an impact there. He probably won't put it together right away but he is someone with as much upside as just about any in the pool. A worthwhile risk if there.
Given we've mortgaged our 2020 first to get that pick 8 Kemp seems like the kind of player we'd want. At least if we bomb in 2020 we have a top 3 quality talent in Kemp ready to go into 2021 even without having an early 2020 pick. Glad to hear you think he has key forward potential.

Last edited:
Given we've mortgaged our 2020 first to get that pick 8 Kemp seems like the kind of player we'd want. Even if we bomb in 2020 at least we have a top 3 quality talent in Kemp ready to go into 2021 even without having an early 2020 pick. Glad to hear you think he has key forward potential.
I think you are spot on. Awesome way to trade forward.

Fremantle would love both ultimately if a bid comes on Henry after their picks. Stephens absolutely is a great fit, but I see Ash as a fit also. Ash I like more for the outside drive with his speed and kicking more damaging, but Stephens is the more prolific ball winner of the two and the more likely to roll through the midfield and up on a wing.

That would be the first 'wow' moment of the draft if Sydney did bid pick 5. I have heard a few clubs have discussed Henry inside the top 10 as someone they might bid on but had not heard anyone as high as Sydney.

There is genuine interest and probably shows how even the draft is. He suits there list needs with papley likely to request a trade end of 2020

Yes.

According to the phantom draft we will only get Henry as the sole WA product and Robertson, Jackson, Rivers, Sharp and Taylor will all go East. I think we are going to target more local talent then the Vic scribes are putting out there.

Given we've mortgaged our 2020 first to get that pick 8 Kemp seems like the kind of player we'd want. At least if we bomb in 2020 we have a top 3 quality talent in Kemp ready to go into 2021 even without having an early 2020 pick. Glad to hear you think he has key forward potential.

Kemp can play anywhere other than ruck. Midfield, key forward, key defence, as a flanker. He's a perfect fit for Melbourne if there. I don't even think he would be a bad consideration at 3.

Melbourne could look at some variation of a switch with Fremantle in the first round of picks 3 and 8 for 7, 10 and 2020 Fremantle's 2020 first round choice. Melbourne could go get Kemp and an Ash if there while Fremantle can get their Western Australians and their preferences early before any bid for Henry comes in.

There are always different possibilities to look into.

Love Rivers and Bergman at our first 2 selection KM, I don't know much about Dow though at our third selection.

Dow is still a skinny, developing mid but has some tools with his speed and despite his build good ball winning capabilities. Production not all that high yet, but with development and more strength is one some are high on.

According to the phantom draft we will only get Henry as the sole WA product and Robertson, Jackson, Rivers, Sharp and Taylor will all go East. I think we are going to target more local talent then the Vic scribes are putting out there.

It's more about where Fremantle's picks in the draft are and how a bid on Henry will makes it unlikely that exclusively WA talent will be selected by the Dockers this year with a lot of the good ones likely to get picked in the teens or early 20s.

Would Charlie Dean be a good option for Collingwood with a late pick?

Dean can play either end and was one who two rounds into the year looked promising with 9 goals at that stage. Unfortunately his season has been inconsistent and patchy. He hasn't dominated forward or back. Hasn't been able to create separation on the lead to be enough of a threat as well as he reads it in flight, I just don't think that will be enough for him as his main point of difference.

Dean should be available late for anyone who wants him, but he's more someone I'd be recruiting for a VFL team personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back