Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

"we are going to have to learn from it" seems to be the message after each loss. When, if ever, will we learn from it?

I'm sick of that line - it infuriates me more than Gruden's "we'll do the best we can," or "I'll answer all of your questions the best I can" etc.

At least with Gruden his heart was all about the Raiders. He didn't make all the right moves (a lot of s**t ones actually) but the effort and desire to make his team great was always there. With McDaniels I'm not suggesting he's just there for a pay check, but there's a clear lack of urgency on his behalf that has trickled down the entire coaching staff.

One of myriad first-round busts from the ill-fated Jon Gruden-Mike Mayock regime, Abram was taken 27th overall in the 2019 NFL Draft and waived Tuesday after three-plus seasons and 36 games with the Silver and Black. Now he's headed to the Green and Gold, where he'll presumably look to reset his career and refresh a stagnant Packers back end.

While the Raiders have yet to confirm any transactions, multiple reports indicate that both Hunter Renfrow and top tight end Darren Waller will be moved to IR, leaving the two pass catchers unavailable for each of the Raiders' next four games.

Assuming that comes to fruition, the Raiders will have had quarterback Derek Carr and the team's top three pass catchers -- Adams, Renfrow and Waller -- on the field for a total of just 43 plays through the first 13 weeks of the season.

After their next four games, the Raiders will face a quick turnaround for Week 14 with a Thursday matchup against the Rams, so neither Renfrow nor Waller can be viewed as safe bets to make it back to the lineup in the minimum amount of time.

Surely something else to this Waller season. The whole thing is weird.

Martinez retired out of nowhere after starting last week for the first time all year. No one wants to play for Josh?

THis is going well...

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams is peeved with the sad state of the Raiders.

"I've got no business being in this building" if things don't change in Las Vegas, he said,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THis is going well...

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams is peeved with the sad state of the Raiders.

"I've got no business being in this building" if things don't change in Las Vegas, he said,

Fake quote.

The tank is on.

I think Mark is 'happy' with the direction Ziggler and McDaniels have projected for the rest of the season.

Mark has gone off in his box during a pre season game. This season will be killing him internally.

Top 5 pick. New QB?

If the Raiders get a top 5 pick they have to seriously question upgrading the QB position. You can win with Carr but you will not win on a consistent basis because of Carr.

If there is a QB who you think can be your Mahomes (or equivalent), you have to take him in the draft. The Raiders have never truly bottomed out and been in a position to take a QB in round 1 for the last few years so this could be a unique situation to take advantage of.

Not sure the top QBs in this draft would be an improvement.

Desperate for D players.

Bryce Young moves the needle imo. But the draft also has some tremendous talents on the defensive line.

Simply can’t continue to have Carr as the QB.

It is time to move on from him. Has been for a while, but he is not the man to lead this team to anything really.

He's not the best QB - but barely 10 months ago he was widely considered a top 10 QB. You look at the entire offense and you've got 11 guys who don't have a bloody clue as to what is going on. It's a systemic problem - not solely on the QB.

I believe you can win WITH Carr, but I don't believe you will consistently win BECAUSE OF Carr. Carr will have some games where he goes off and plays like a world beater. In 2020 and 2021 he had games where he out-performed some top QBs including Pat Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert and Drew Brees among others. But then there are some games where he completely falls apart and looks terrible. Granted, in 2020 and 2021 we didn't see many of those games. But with Carr we know that there will be 2 games or so every year where he just can't do anything right.

I maintain the assertion if Carr were in a system like San Francisco or Seattle, he would thrive. Run heavy, play action west coast offense with an elite D to lean on when things aren't going your way offensively. The Raiders for some reason or another have made it an expectation that Carr is their Mahomes equivalent and that they are relying on him solely to win them games. It's a recipe for disaster. Unless you're Rodgers, Mahomes or Allen you can't win like that in this league.

If you were to move on from Carr, you have to find an upgrade. You can't just move on for change's sake. That leads you to a cycle the Raiders were in from 2004-2011 where they went through all of Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter, Josh McCown, Daunte Culpepper, JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski and Jason Campbell as "the guy."

I personally don't see any free agent QBs this off-season who would be an upgrade on Carr - and before anyone suggests Lamar, he's getting the tag. It means you're left with the draft or trade. No one is going to trade you a franchise QB, so you really need to look at the draft. At the top you've got Levis, Stroud and Young. If you believe one of those three can be your Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers, you take them unquestionably. However, if you don't think they can be that true elite QB1, what is the point in taking them? All you'd likely end up substituted QBs without upgrading and you've wasted a likely top 5 pick in doing so. Not to mention you'd still have a mess at the majority of other positions.

Unless Stroud, Levis or Young can be your true franchise guy, there's no point in moving on from Carr next season - they'd actually be better off using that first round pick to upgrade their defence (Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, please). But you gotta take the QB if you think he's Mahomes part 2, no questions asked.

FWIW, I think Bryce Young can be that guy. But I also don't want McDaniels near any young QB. Need a new staff without question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back