windsock

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2002
x
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Interesting ref in LL's column today re the Ron Clarke quotes about North and how we missed out by not going to the GC.

Last edited:
Good find, windsock. I don't know who Leaping Larry is, but good on him. :thumbsu:

Here's the whole paragraph about North...

Bozo of the week

GOLD Coast mayor Ron Clarke took the opportunity (albeit a mysterious one, detectable mostly to him) to join the new football growth code - sticking the boot into North Melbourne. Apparently Mayor Ron is still in a minor snit about North not coming to the Gold Coast a few years back. Noted his honour: "If you can't get anyone to come to your games, you are not being supported." Well, North's home game average attendance before this weekend was about 22,500. The Gold Coast expansion team's stadium will hold 25,000. In the event North could ever pull, say, 40,000 a game, where would they put them at Carrara? The glove compartment? We can also richly savour all the jibes about North's crowds the next time an AFL match air-lifted to some far outpost of the federation is richly lauded as a success in front of a crowd of around 13,000-15,000 people.

Leaping Larry L is a long-standing RRR dj/part-time columnist/promoter/wrestling obsessive (organises the Rock 'n Roll Wrestling nights). I believe the correct description to employ here would be 'Renaissance Man'.

Leaping Larry is a very funny man. He has a segment on the back of the Sport section of the Age every Saturday called Leaping Larry's Letterbox.

The letters are creations of his own, as far as I can make out, and basically take the piss out of anything and anyone.

Well worth a read on a Saturday. He also used to (and still may) do a similar segment on a radio station. Can't remember which station and when though.

Yep, got me stumped, too.

I believe the show you're referring to is the aptly-named, 'All Over The Shop' on Thursday, 2-4pm.

Very funny show.

He was in his hey day back in the eighties with "Danger Low Brow" on RRR. Then it got swallowed up and spat out by Fox, although it has to be said that Leaping Larry more or less stayed out of the Fox venture. He's a Richmond supporter, I think. He has never been over complimentary about North in the past (he reckons we're a very boring team) so it's good to see him speak out like this.

Leaping Larry is a very funny man. He has a segment on the back of the Sport section of the Age every Saturday called Leaping Larry's Letterbox.

The letters are creations of his own, as far as I can make out, and basically take the piss out of anything and anyone.

Well worth a read on a Saturday. He also used to (and still may) do a similar segment on a radio station. Can't remember which station and when though.[/QUOTE]

I've heard him too, Horace. In the last 10 years and not on RRR. More mainstream. If I had to guess, I'd say it was either a Saturday morning late morning show or maybe he had a weekly segment with Ross and John??

Ron "Choker" Clarke is obviously looking to be included in Max Markson's stable of 'dial-a-quotes' on the future of football, along with the likes of Doc Aylett, David King, Kekka and Tony Shaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back