Vale Ron Joseph

Remove this Banner Ad

Only just knocked off work and saw this. Absolute kick in the guts to end the night.

Vale Ron, thank you for all your many, varied contributions to the club that are immeasurable in their impact.

He’s the greatest North Melbourne person ever. I doubt we’ll ever see his like again.
I only met him once, at Mick Nolan’s wake at the Gabba.
I was on the way out of the dunny, he was on the way in, I stopped and shook his hand and thanked him for everything. He gave me a huge smile and a brief chat in return.
Later during the wake my good mate, an abc reporter at the time, interviewed Ron and Barrassi, Greig and Goodingham (at different times). All were absolutely fantastic.
North people are brilliant!

Vale great man, you’ll be missed and celebrated at the same time.

If anyone was to have a statue constructed at Arden St Ron would be as deserving as any.

One Syd Barker night held at the Tennis Centre function room Mrs Toes and I rocked up to discover we were sitting on the table closest to the podium.

In rocks Ron and sits next to me. I did a double take and sure enough, there was his name above his cutlery.

For a bloke who’s early childhood was going to Arden St every second week through the 70’s this was an opportunity to pick the brains of a true club legend for the next few hours, and pick his brain I did.

Firstly, what a top bloke. He couldn’t have been friendlier nor more welcoming and engaging to both of us. He had as many questions for us as we had for him. He was that sort of guy.

Anyway, to hear from the horse’s mouth what had gone on that went unreported (70’s and beyond) was something I appreciated enormously and made it an occasion I’ll never forget.

Sad to see him pass on. 😢

Sincerest condolences to the Joseph family and close friends.

Rest in Peace RJ 💙

No Ron, no North. Everybody talks about who should get a statue at Arden street oval, but the answer is elementary to me.

Vale legend.
Can't remember who the quote belongs too - nowhere in the world will you find a statue that is a tribute to an administrator. Ron should be the first.

Anyway, to hear from the horse’s mouth what had gone on that went unreported (70’s and beyond) was something I appreciated enormously and made it an occasion I’ll never forget.

Well said TT. Anything you can share on here without breaking eternal confidences?

Vale Ron Joseph,geez as a RFC supporting youngster gowing up in the 70's the 2 Rons were bigger than the game itself at times,a true heavyweight
and influencer of the day,a fantastic rival of our club for many many decades,shine on☀️☀️☀️☀️

Great post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said TT. Anything you can share on here without breaking eternal confidences?

Great post.

Not really but I will say the thing that most impressed me was when I mentioned that Ron chased the signature of my old man for a couple of years and all I did was mention the club he played juniors, the era, and that he was a left footed forward flanker. Ron reeled off his name, mentioned how disappointed he was that my dad chose his work career over VFL, before going on to list his many achievements at VAFA level, adding that he’d followed his footy career with interest.

I couldn’t have been more impressed with the bloke’s encyclopaedic knowledge and recall.

THAT is a special person.

I completely missed this news. Very very sad. As someone who loved the 70's and the way footy was back then, it's sad to see so many of the great characters involved in the game at that time passing on. I thank Ron for the great memories he helped to form that I have from my childhood following this club.

I think he’s still kicking, but very frail these days.
Yes, I believe you are correct Rob. Another great North person. We have been blessed with some outstanding and influential people in our beloved Club. Fr Dowling's "The North Story" goes with me to the afterlife...hopefully some time away yet. No chance of any gossip from Fr Dowling...seal of the confessional!

Yes, I believe you are correct Rob. Another great North person. We have been blessed with some outstanding and influential people in our beloved Club. Fr Dowling's "The North Story" goes with me to the afterlife...hopefully some time away yet. No chance of any gossip from Fr Dowling...seal of the confessional!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back