Analysis Let's Construct Our Best 22 - Part 2: Midfielders

Who should be our starting six midfielders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I did notice that Keays didnt make the cut for the forward line amougst the crows BF posters that voted.

He moved into that forward line last year in that carlton game.. had a ripper.. then did little since until the WC trial the other night.. when he had another rippper.. one ripping game in every 5 or 6 isnt good enough.

And so, looking at the voting, it seems most agree with me..

We have better more consistent and promising options now.. and people voted for them.

He isnt even “first drop” for a spot in that forward line.. Pedlar beat him to that.

Now he’s also not being picked for the midfield group..

Seems he’s very quickly becoming a fringe player that will be named by most as a bencher or the sub..

People are actually starting to notice the same things I have for well over a year now.

Hes a great team man that unfortunately just isnt good at football… and we now have far better options moving in to take his spot.

This is a good thing and should be recognised and embraced.

It doesnt mean you hate Benny.. it means you want whats best for the team moving forward.
Reckon most people picked their 6 best pure forwards for this exercise.

Id say he’s a lock for the bench, with intention that he’ll rotate with the forwards.

He isnt even “first drop” for a spot in that forward line.. Pedlar beat him to that.

I suspect that a lot of people - like me - tended to prioritise the young up-and-coming players as starters on the field. That doesn't mean Keays won't have a place on the 22.
People are actually starting to notice the same things I have for well over a year now.
Don't get carried away with yourself. Everyone has "noticed" the same things that you have, we just don't see them as being as catastrophically / hyperbolically bad as you do.

I suspect that a lot of people - like me - tended to prioritise the young up-and-coming players as starters on the field. That doesn't mean Keays won't have a place on the 22.

Don't get carried away with yourself. Everyone has "noticed" the same things that you have, we just don't see them as being as catastrophically / hyperbolically bad as you do.
No, you guys just can't admit you were wrong. He's gone in 2 years.

Who’d you pick arrowman?

I accidentally only picked 4 as thought it was just the centre square …. Woops

My starting mid is

ROB ( by default )
Laird
Berry
Rachele (was unavailable as chosen forward but I think he starts round 1 in centre square )

Wings - Hinge and Sloane

Dawson and hinge to have times they swap wing/ half back

I did notice that Keays didnt make the cut for the forward line amougst the crows BF posters that voted.

He moved into that forward line last year in that carlton game.. had a ripper.. then did little since until the WC trial the other night.. when he had another rippper.. one ripping game in every 5 or 6 isnt good enough.

And so, looking at the voting, it seems most agree with me..

We have better more consistent and promising options now.. and people voted for them.

Seems he’s very quickly becoming a fringe player that will be named by most as a bencher or the sub..

Hes a great team man that unfortunately just isnt good at football… and we now have far better options moving in to take his spot.

This is a good thing and should be recognised and embraced.

It doesnt mean you hate Benny.. it means you want whats best for the team moving forward.
😆

He was managed in first 2 trial games carefully as he’s come off shoulder and groin issues with a program to be ready
for round 1

Finally played more full game time against eagles and kicked 4 goals

Literally couldn’t have done much more in pre season and is tracking well as that pressure forward that actually kicks goals (which we haven’t had ) and a relief mid that will be running hard late in games when others are cooked

Yes it’s good he won’t be such the main man in mid , but he’s not going to let anyone down and important piece of the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😆

He was managed in first 2 trial games carefully as he’s come off shoulder and groin issues with a program to be ready
for round 1

Finally played more full game time against eagles and kicked 4 goals

Literally couldn’t have done much more in pre season and is tracking well as that pressure forward that actually kicks goals (which we haven’t had ) and a relief mid that will be running hard late in games when others are cooked

Yes it’s good he won’t be such the main man in mid , but he’s not going to let anyone down and important piece of the side
Won't be in the side when we're contending.

Rankine, Rachele, Keays and Pedler should all be getting some midfield time while being mostly forward. Our interchange would be pretty balanced with two of these guys, a full time mid and a defender.
Sub Soligo in for Pedlar out of that group re midfield

Think the plan is to play Pedlar permanent forward and get some continuity into him

Yep, we'll be a great side in a couple of years.
IIRC you're fond of saying / predicting that Keays will be out of the best 22 in a couple of years. I think that's a heroic prediction, but agree to disagree. If you're right, as I said, we will be a very - very - good side, which is why I said that if it happens we will be "more than contending". But it will require a lot of development / improvement from the youngsters.

Personally I don't think it will happen that quickly (but that's not saying we won't be a good side in 2 years), but let's see...

I guess the difference in thinking is that some (e.g. you and BC) think we can't be a good or contending side as long as Keays is in it. I disagree.

Last edited:
IIRC you're fond of saying / predicting that Keays will be out of the best 22 in a couple of years. I think that's a heroic prediction, but agree to disagree. If you're right, as I said, we will be a very - very - good side, which is why I said that if it happens we will be "more than contending". But it will require a lot of development / improvement from the youngsters.

Personally I don't think it will happen that quickly (but that's not saying we won't be a good side in 2 years), but let's see...

I guess the difference in thinking is that some (e.g. you and BC) think we can't be a good or contending side as long as Keays is in it. I disagree.
Nope.. happy to have keays in the side if there arent better options..

The last 3 or so years we either havent had those better options or we have had them but they were young players and just werent ready/or injured..

We now have those better options.

Persisting with keays when we have far better/more talented options is just stupid.

And it seems most here agree as they didnt pick him in their starting forward line and it looks like he aint gonna get picked in their starting midfield.

I think most will have him on the bench or as the sub..

So its very clear.. going by the votes… in the eyes of BF commentators here that he’s quickly becoming a fringe player.

Another years development into soligo, berry, shoey, rachele, pedlar..
And guys like taylor, who reeks of talent, coming through.

And the probabilty that we will add even more new midfield/forward talent at years end (hopefully a Moir or similar) and keays will end up forced off that bench/sub spot and into the sanfl until his contract expires.

So Brett is correct. In two years keays will be outside the crows 23 (22 plus sub).

If he isnt.. there is something seriously wrong with our drafting/trading and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back