Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

Wake up Seeds.
What sort of response is that?

I think you can be better then MAGA supporters in regards to logical reasoning and can acknowledge that it was a mistake to value triggering the opposition as a justification for liking a politician. Its the same logic that drives most public support for authoritarians over democrats. Unlike most MAGA supporters I think you can recognise and own up to a mistake? We all make them.

And do you acknowledge thorpe is an extremist? She literally wants to overthrow our democracy.
I'd probably use radical but in this Parliament she is for sure. I just thought it interesting that Dutton was lumped in with Thorpe and Hanson as examples of extremists, he is allegedly the alternative PM.

What sort of response is that?

I think you can be better then MAGA supporters in regards to logical reasoning and can acknowledge that it was a mistake to value triggering the opposition as a justification for liking a politician. Its the same logic that drives most public support for authoritarians over democrats. Unlike most MAGA supporters I think you can recognise and own up to a mistake? We all make them.

You've rattled Woke Patrol I think.

Fair point. Dutton being opposition leader is nuts.

Someone had to do it after they got belted. History says he wont be the leader when the election comes around. Only question is whether they go back to a more moderate leader or stick with another nutjob and lose even more seats.

If NSW is anything to go by, it will be another useless nobody or nutjob.

Someone had to do it after they got belted. History says he wont be the leader when the election comes around. Only question is whether they go back to a more moderate leader or stick with another nutjob and lose even more seats.

If NSW is anything to go by, it will be another useless nobody or nutjob.
Do they even have moderate alternatives any more?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how this problem resolves.

All political parties have to decide which direction to go. The Coalition needs to decide if it wants to disappear by staying too conservative or return to being more moderate.

Much like the Greens and Labor need to decide.

As well independents like Thorpe. She will be very popular with a small number of people but its hard to see her retaining her seat.

But WHY does she want people to vote no?

Because she thinks the voice doesn't go far enough.
She doesn't want the voice to get up because she wants to be Queen of the black fellas and just like, Mundine and Price, if the Voice gets up, she will be marginalised and her status will be diminished.

I ask you seriously, what chance do you think that the electorate will vote for a treaty to be enshrined in the Constitution? There cannot be a Treaty that is legislated, it must be enshrined in the constitution for it to be legitimate. The obvious answer is somewhere between Buckley's and none and that being the case, that is if you agree with that assumption, then what is there to gain from "flogging a dead horse" so to speak?

If one looks at the Uluru Statement From the Heart then it is there, in black and white, that the best way to get a Treaty between the Indigenous people and the Commonwealth is via a Voice to Parliament. In the meantime, Indigenous people for the first time since colonisation, will have a seat at the table of which will make a massive difference to the material lives of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.

Thorpe's opposition to the Voice is purely political and has nothing to do with improving the lives of Indigenous people. Politically, it is in her interests that the status quo remains with no betterment to Aboriginal lives because it means she will be in the spotlight. It is a terrible thing to say but that is the only conclusion one can draw from her hostility towards non-indigenous people, some would say racism and her disgraceful behaviour towards Elders who seek a constructive and peaceful way forward as opposed to her aggressive polemic which is futile and destructive.

You've seen the video of a group of men crowding around them, throwing insults?

I mean, you seem to think it was broad daylight and a polite gentleman said it to her over a cream tea.
Crowding around them? Must be vision that I haven't seen or the same vision which you are seeing things that aren't there. She was being aggressive and taunting people in the nightclub, or is that fantasy too. She is a public figure and she will cop s**t like every other public figure does. What other public figures don't do is go into nightclubs and taunt and be aggressive towards others and then, when they cop s**t, they act like they are the victims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back