Autopsy Liked, Learnt, Hated Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Umpiring of the contact below the knees rule. Here to stay.
Learnt: Doggies are a shadow of their old form. They risk finishing near the bottom.
Hated: Geelong playing Dangerfield FF for a return of 0 goals. He is the best midfielder in the comp and Geelong needed him in the middle. That move cost them the game IMO.

Every round I hate the encroaching rule. Tom Stewart got done over today IMHO, yet in the last Dangerfield was allowed to smother Richmond player from a metre away and not on the mark.

Dangerfield was right next to his direct opponent until the umpire called play on. It was umpired perfectly. He can stand there as long as his opponent is there, and didn’t move towards the player with the ball until play on was called.

Liked: Rhys Stanley - has finally shown something over the past few weeks :thumbsu:

Learned: Some questions have no answers, like 'Why is Zac Guthrie getting a game?' :eek:

Hated: Geelong's current bottom 6 really know how to stink the place up :poo:

Liked: Actually enjoyed two games this weekend. Friday’s game and today’s game were both really enjoyable games for me.

Learned: Daniel Rioli is so bloody important to our forward line.

Hated: Adelaide, seriously what the heck is wrong down in Adelaide? I know they’ve had a lot of injuries but they don’t seem to actually try these days.

Liked: Winning a tough game against good opposition that had a real crack.
Liked: Dan Rioli back as Butler and Castagna were instantly much better.
Liked: Saints comeback as it's great to see real emotion.

Learnt: That Carlton are seriously bad at the moment, worse than I thought.

Hated: WTF was that Robbie Gray freekick against McLean!!! :eek:
Hated: The petulant and juvenile crap that infests every MB thread these days, supporters from ALL clubs are responsible.

Liked: Nothing

Learnt: Geelong are not good enough, i knew it already, but confirmed today. Too many passengers and i don't think think they are a smart team. I'm sticking to my belief they are a 7th -10th placed team this year! Geelong never win after the "bye" so i'm tipping the Dogs! They then travel to Sydney and Adelaide in successive weeks. Our year will be done by the end of July

Hated: Playing a home game against a team on THEIR home ground in white shorts with a shoddy game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The bye was a actually a good break from the trials and tribulations of our guys this year. I love going to the Footy but a break from the worry was timely.

Learnt: The Swans are better than I thought. That was a great win against the Eagles.

Hated: Rory Lobb looks like missing more game time. After a seriously interrupted pre-season and an ankle injury earlier I just cant see him reaching the level we need this year. Time to look hard at our ruck options and maybe commit to Matt Flynn and give him a run of games to build into the pointy end.

Last edited:
Liked: Freo's 1st half was brutal
Learned: 'protected space' is a good rule.... said.nobody.ever.
Hated... that the umps have no idea what makes actors great. Rance's flip-flopping fall-down in the second q wouldn't get him a role in the Chorus of "The Elephant Man: The Musical", but somehow fooled one of the (many) umpires on the field. Robert De Niro he is not.

Rance's flip-flopping fall-down in the second q
He tripped. Watch the replay linked in the umpire sub board. His foot got stuck in front of Dangerfield's. He was trying to get his balance back.

I know it doesn't fit the narrative but it's a simply fact. I think it's really disappointing that people make that assumption to trash Rance and then feign like it's Rance's fault when people like me point out the truth.

Rance did nothing wrong this time. No you are not justified in your comment. You are wrong and your comment is childish. It's just a game, try enjoying it instead of looking for hate in everything.

um... it's in the title: Liked, Learned and Hated: Round 13.

Maybe you thought this was the thread "Liked, Learned and couldn't care less about"?
"Looking" for hate means more than that.

Instead of getting defensive how about you just admit you got it wrong. It's not hard, most adults can do it.

Liked: Daniel Rioli helping us get back to premiership worthy pressure
Learnt: Vlaustuin fast becoming one of our most important defenders
Hated: 4 umps. Seriously, just more eyes to pluck out some free kick that wasn’t there. Yesterday there was one point where an ump 25m further away from the contest on the same angle as the umpire adjudicating play, and he picked out a free. Ffs. How about this for a trial? Actual full time, professional umpires; and rules that are black and white (I.e. no ‘deliberate’ rules)

Liked - daniel rioli coming back in and not missing a beat. The kid is seriously a star, he’s defensive pressure is through the roof and he makes our other small forwards walk taller. Still laugh at the bf “experts” saying it was a reach us picking him at 15.

Learned- not really learned just re-inforced, it will either take us being off the boil or a team playing out of their skin for us to be beaten at the g. It is the number1 fortress of any team in the comp.

Hated- stupidly picking Carlton and ruining a perfect rd for myself. They are the worst team in the comp and an absolute rabble. Another first rd pick coming up and another young kids career to be ruined by this s**t club.

Dangerfield was right next to his direct opponent until the umpire called play on. It was umpired perfectly. He can stand there as long as his opponent is there, and didn’t move towards the player with the ball until play on was called.

I didn't realise play on had been called. I'd like to see the replay to confirm it because the Richmond player had barely taken a step when PD smothered the ball.

And if you are allowed in the protected zone then why are umpires constantly telling players to move out of it? PD should not have been allowed to affect the play IMHO under the current rules.

Liked - obviously the way Freo bossed the first half against Carlton. Lovely to see some creative, attacking and confident footy.
Learned - Dwayne Russell can get very creative in his search for a metaphor. After Freo kicked another goal in the 2nd his response was - Carlton need a safe word :huh:. Not an image I normally associate with footy.
Hated - not particular to this round but I'm hating how many blowouts there are currently and how predictable they are. Most games I turn off after less than a Q.

In the video footage, the umpire's play on signal is after the smother

Remove this Banner Ad

Back