Autopsy Liked, Learnt, Hated Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Rioli
Learnt: He makes the other 2 amigos play better (Castagna & Butler)
Hated: The sooking about Geelong playing a home game at the home of football :p

Liked:
Freo. Building a nice team with a good balance. Brennan Cox is gonna be a star forward one day.
Not much else. It was a rather poor weekend of football in terms of games and quality.

Learnt:
St Kilda are in a world of pain. Win may paper over the cracks, but GCS laid down in the 4th. And the efforts of their VFL team on the weekend are the stuff of nightmares.
FA compensation is leading to tanking. GCS threw a game. Adelaide are not that bad. Both teams must know they are losing big name stars and can get two dips in a draft with some excellent top end talent.

Hated:
Quality of the contests. All weekend saw a pretty poor standard of game. Ill give a leave pass for the Cats v Tigers given the weather.
Injury to Macrae. With Fyfe suspended, my brownlow bet was looking good. this will hurt it. Also, kids a gun. Hopefully not off for too soon.
Geelong with a home game at the G. Why? Send the Vic clubs to GMHBA and spare the non-Vic clubs. They need as many games at the G as possible.

Dangerfield was right next to his direct opponent until the umpire called play on. It was umpired perfectly. He can stand there as long as his opponent is there, and didn’t move towards the player with the ball until play on was called.
Yes but they weren't 10m away. It should have been reset imo. Most of the time the ump tells both those players to clear the area.

Yes but they weren't 10m away. It should have been reset imo. Most of the time the ump tells both those players to clear the area.

That rule is elastic. I see why Danger got away with it. But it doesn't really make sense with what the rule is meant to do. He was in the zone. The rule is intended to clear players out of the zone. So ....

Liked: Tigers. Freo. Middle half of the ladder is tight as.

Learnt: Three clubs clearly ahead of the rest. The bottom teams are really bad this year - why?

Hated: Rule interpretations that are so grey that identical situations lead to different outcomes. Just make it clean and then let the players play and the umpires umpire. I'd hate to be an umpire and have some b&%$&^%t rule interpretation that I have to enforce, where the same situation is fine or not depending on the angle I look at it from. Ball on the ground particularly I hate. Player with the ball in hand on the ground, and the oppo player decides to stay up n run into them. OK, that's clear. The player making the play for the ball is in the right and maybe gets a free for in the back. No!! Player that is beaten to the ball is smart, stays up and gets the free. If the player that is up starts to bend then goes back up they are playing for the free, so don't get it. :mad::mad: This is the AFL being over smart. Have a few simple rules that everything flows from.

Firstly: No deliberately hurting another player.
Second: The player trying to make the play is in the 'right'.
Third: Follow the rules

He tripped. Watch the replay linked in the umpire sub board. His foot got stuck in front of Dangerfield's. He was trying to get his balance back.

I know it doesn't fit the narrative but it's a simply fact. I think it's really disappointing that people make that assumption to trash Rance and then feign like it's Rance's fault when people like me point out the truth.

Rance did nothing wrong this time. No you are not justified in your comment. You are wrong and your comment is childish. It's just a game, try enjoying it instead of looking for hate in everything.

Haha best melt ever.

I didn't realise play on had been called. I'd like to see the replay to confirm it because the Richmond player had barely taken a step when PD smothered the ball.

And if you are allowed in the protected zone then why are umpires constantly telling players to move out of it? PD should not have been allowed to affect the play IMHO under the current rules.

Yep, umpires for some reason have been calling play on VERY quickly when the ball carrier moves. Too quickly IMO. But Dangerfield didn’t move towards the ball carrier until it was called. The umpires do tell players to move out, but as long as Dangerfield’s opponent doesn’t move, he has a right to be there. It all happened quite quickly as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the video footage, the umpire's play on signal is after the smother

He called play on and then put his arms up, as is usually the way. You could hear the “play on” prior to Dangerfield moving in for the smother. It’s the fault of whoever Dangerfield’s opponent was at the time for not dragging him away. He can stand there if his opponent is nearby. Umpired correctly in this case.

Yes they do, but not in all cases. If they reset it every time the game would never flow. The player with the ball has the prerogative to wait for the umpire to clear players out. He didn’t in this case, and Dangerfield was near to his direct opponent until the umpire called play on.

Not even a melt, just pointing out stupidity.

If you want a good melt here's one from the Geelong board yesterday:

Haha that's a good one too. Yours was a more measured literate melt. I do like a little variety in my malts. Kudos

Yep, umpires for some reason have been calling play on VERY quickly when the ball carrier moves. Too quickly IMO. But Dangerfield didn’t move towards the ball carrier until it was called. The umpires do tell players to move out, but as long as Dangerfield’s opponent doesn’t move, he has a right to be there. It all happened quite quickly as well.
I don't actually mind it being umpired that way, but it needs to be consistent. The Richmond player showed zero awareness and deserved to have his kick smothered. If he'd taken a second longer to fully comprehend the situation he might not have taken the kick and could possibly have won a 50 metre penalty against Dangerfield (which would've been harsh).

Liked: That the Saints snagged a win from absolutely nowhere
Learnt: West Coast have a real bogey team in Sydney and would hope like heck they don't play them in the finals
Hated: That the Saints vs Suns game and the Geelong vs Richmond game were not on free-to-air

Liked: That the Saints snagged a win from absolutely nowhere
Learnt: West Coast have a real bogey team in Sydney and would hope like heck they don't play them in the finals
Hated: That the Saints vs Suns game and the Geelong vs Richmond game were not on free-to-air

I watched the saints game on 7 mate.

L
Learnt:
St Kilda are in a world of pain. Win may paper over the cracks, but GCS laid down in the 4th. And the efforts of their VFL team on the weekend are the stuff of nightmares.
FA compensation is leading to tanking. GCS threw a game. Adelaide are not that bad. Both teams must know they are losing big name stars and can get two dips in a draft with some excellent top end talent.

Surely there are easier ways to throw a game than to get 30 points up at 3 quarter time and then rely on the opposition to kick 5 goals in the last quarter to pinch the game, if Gresham hadn't snapped one of the goals of the year in the last minute or so Gold Coast still would have won. If they really wanted to throw the game they wouldn't have left it to chance like that and they've gained nothing by losing anyway as we're still below them on the ladder.

More likely Gold Coast just ran out of puff in the last quarter liked they've done numerous times this year, they've had 4 last quarters where they haven't scored a goal so what happened on Saturday wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Liked :- Freo turning it on for 60 minutes, then spending the next 60 minutes thinking of what they would eat & drink that night.

Learnt :- Carlton & Gold Coast lack intestinal fortitude. Pretty boys out, hard work in.

Hated :- AFL players trying to be actors, they are crap. Stop adding mayonnaise to contests, the umpires are slowly waking up to it and now obvious free kicks are becoming "play on" due to the dosages of mayonnaise.

Liked: Another Rioli terrifying Geelong on the members' wing at the 'G
Learnt: Geelong could miss the eight.
Hated: Teams going missing for entire quarters/halves - looking at you Carlton, Bulldogs, Crows, Suns. Zero effort from all of you. ALL OF YOU!

I don't actually mind it being umpired that way, but it needs to be consistent. The Richmond player showed zero awareness and deserved to have his kick smothered. If he'd taken a second longer to fully comprehend the situation he might not have taken the kick and could possibly have won a 50 metre penalty against Dangerfield (which would've been harsh).

Agreed. Or at the very least the umpire would’ve told Dangerfield’s opponent to move away. You hear umpires at times instructing players to “take him out”, meaning “move away so your opponent goes with you.” Had the ball carrier waited another second or two this may have happened.
Inconsequential in the end, but worth discussing. Smart players will stand near enough to smother or pressure the kick if their opponent doesn’t drag them away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back