Moved Thread Lions Board Spill - Lethal to take over

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree the board was hopeless, but not sure about the replacement.

The bit about the primary objective being the recruitment of Roos is as piss-poor as anything the current board have come up with.

That part is speculation. Lethal has been rumoured to be considering this for a long time and has been a critical for yonks of the complete vacuum of footy nous on the board. Paul Wlliams confirms this in the article.

That part is speculation. Lethal has been rumoured to be considering this for a long time and has been a critical for yonks of the complete vacuum of footy nous on the board. Paul Wlliams confirms this in the article.

I think even following a few Lions supporters on your board, there were plenty that were unhappy with the board too.

The fact that the paddlepop outlasted Voss says it all.

Gold. :D

Should organise something along the lines of the WC wings one. I'll vote. That paddlepop is a disgrace. Was great seeing the original vs Essendon.

Should organise something along the lines of the WC wings one. I'll vote. That paddlepop is a disgrace. Was great seeing the original vs Essendon.

The club will be surveying members on the jumper sometime this year after three long years of lobbying. If the new board makes the process more transparent than the current board (they want to do a mail in style survey which, tbh I would find it hard trusting the current board with), then it is another reason to support this new ticket.

Also mentions Ross Thornton who is an ex-Fitzroy best and fairest winner and Mick Conlan has also been rumoured to be a potential new CEO if we can dislodge Malcolm Holmes. Very excited.

The club will be surveying members on the jumper sometime this year after three long years of lobbying. If the new board makes the process more transparent than the current board (they want to do a mail in style survey which, tbh I would find it hard trusting the current board with), then it is another reason to support this new ticket.

Also mentions Ross Thornton who is an ex-Fitzroy best and fairest winner and Mick Conlan has also been rumoured to be a potential new CEO if we can dislodge Malcolm Holmes. Very excited.

That's at least good news that they are considering it. I'm not up with why it was changed in the first place? More kid friendly or some s**t like that?

From the outside looking in it seems to me the members of this triple premiership club are disgruntled because of

(a) Voss being sacked despite many football experts inside and outside the club thinking him to be an underperformer
(b) the Paddle Pop Lion

Doesnt on face value seem to be enough reason for a boardroom spill? What are the real reasons?

That's at least good news that they are considering it. I'm not up with why it was changed in the first place? More kid friendly or some s**t like that?

Honestly your guess is as good as ours. We were never really given a reason, nor proper consultation but for a 'focus group' of 15 or so supporters. To be honest, there was a bit of a false dawn in 2009 when the current board took over as we felt we had eliminated those who were causing these headaches but evidentally we were far wrong (well at least I was).

From the outside looking in it seems to me the members of this triple premiership club are disgruntled because of

(a) Voss being sacked despite many football experts inside and outside the club thinking him to be an underperformer
(b) the Paddle Pop Lion

Doesnt on face value seem to be enough reason for a boardroom spill? What are the real reasons?

Pretty simple way to put it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a supporter who wouldn't have thought Voss' contract was at least a little shaky after 2010/11, however the disregard shown for a club champion was nothing short of a disgrace. In a way, whether he should have gotten sacked or not isn't even the real issue, rather the amateurish way the situation was handled. Add that to the fact they seemed to have absolutely no plan B, other than 'we would like Roos' and yeah...that's a pretty big deal. I'm sure if Eddie did that to Buckley you wouldn't all just cop it on the chin.

I won't go into the paddlepop too much as there are plenty of resources on here regarding why that is an issue. In the meantime, check out thelionsroar.net if you want to get an idea as to how much that jumper means to us. Not really sure why you would say that isn't a 'real' reason though, would have thought playing guernseys go right to the heart of most football clubs.

A coach gets told his contract will not be renewed. Its up to the coach to decide whether or not to spit the dummy and see out the rest of the season. I know its hurtful because hes a "favorite son" but he was a s**t coach and he'd been there five years. Its irrelevant whether or not they have somebody else lined up. The point is that its somebody elses turn. Theres no easy painless way to sack your coach.

As for the Paddlepop Lion I am reading a lot of people complain about the board knowing nothing about football and almost in the same breath criticising them over something that has got nothing to do with football. Irony at its finest.

I'm a bit flummoxed about what all the fuss is about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Lions can get both Matthews and Roos off my TV they will instantly become my second favorite team.

The Lions Roar has been set up to give members more of a say (and to get our real jumper back) and handed out flyers before our home game against Collingwood earlier this year. While I didn't set up the group, I did help them hand out flyers.

We got kicked out of the land surrounding the Gabba for doing that.

Do we get to see Matthews burning the Paddlepop lion on the first day if elected?

I may be a poor uni student but if that happens I will be upgrading to a platinum membership and will personally sponsor a player if that happens.

A coach gets told his contract will not be renewed. Its up to the coach to decide whether or not to spit the dummy and see out the rest of the season. I know its hurtful because hes a "favorite son" but he was a s**t coach and he'd been there five years. Its irrelevant whether or not they have somebody else lined up. The point is that its somebody elses turn. Theres no easy painless way to sack your coach.

As for the Paddlepop Lion I am reading a lot of people complain about the board knowing nothing about football and almost in the same breath criticising them over something that has got nothing to do with football. Irony at its finest.

I'm a bit flummoxed about what all the fuss is about.

You just don't get it do you?

Their board doesn't listen to Brisbane Lion supporters at all. In fact, they see them as a nuisance of sorts, ignoring their opinions in favour of their own deluded ones.

I, for one, would like to see some competence at board level for them, and I am all for this motion.

I know exactly how they feel. :(

The above plus Paul Roos as senior coach and John Blakey as one of the assistant coaches would be a Fitzroy supporter's dream.

Good to see Brisbane in the news again. I'd forgotten about them for a good part of the last decade.

Oh ok, so you're saying you need reminding of how they belted you 2 grand finals in a row, causing the coach and players to cry on field in front of thousands? Had you forgotten that? Hopefully we've helped in reminding you. You seemed pretty concerned that you'd forgotten them.

Really happy Leigh has confirmed that he is part of the push to take over. It offers the perfect opportunity to try and get the Club back on track off-field and on-field.

Surely you can see the writing on the wall Angus and Co.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

No I dont, as I said, "outsider looking in"

Hence why I was asking exactly what the issues were.

The issues are the years of poor overall financial results, the poor handling of the Lions jumper issue, the lack of consultation with members, the failure to uphold the 'merger' agreement and the subsequent downgrading of Melbourne services, thus further marginalising the club's Fitzroy supporter base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back