LIVE: Draft day discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney have gotten a free ride the last few yearsand Freo some how walk away with picks 7, 8 & 9, while Brisbane got smashed by Essendon and Richmond tonight.
Let's put it into some sort of context - those clubs paid up for top talent. We missed out or passed on guys taken at late picks who's main attraction is the romance.

I could be wrong, but it looked like Essendon weakened your hand in the 30’s so they either got Coleman of Johnson, most probably ended up with their second choice but they still got a father son off the Lions.

Think this new system seems to make it easy or hard to get your nominated father son and academy players, Sydney have gotten a free ride the last few yearsand Freo some how walk away with picks 7, 8 & 9, while Brisbane got smashed by Essendon and Richmond tonight.

Dodongo doesnt believe it weakened us. We were never taking Cumberland or Martyn or Johnson in the draft. We always aimed to draft 3 guys and Coleman. We had commitment to take Johnson in the rookie draft which means we had no plans on taking Cumberland or Martyn there.

If we wanted them we would have kept one pick for Robertson and traded out of the two picks in the 30s

I could be wrong, but it looked like Essendon weakened your hand in the 30’s so they either got Coleman of Johnson, most probably ended up with their second choice but they still got a father son off the Lions.

Think this new system seems to make it easy or hard to get your nominated father son and academy players, Sydney have gotten a free ride the last few yearsand Freo some how walk away with picks 7, 8 & 9, while Brisbane got smashed by Essendon and Richmond tonight.
Welcome back to the Lions board lionbear, the only one of the 3 academy guys that we didn't draft that I was slightly miffed that we didn't was Noah Cumberland, we have a history of not matching or taking if we think there are better options available and IIRC it hasn't come back to bite us yet eg. Mabior Chol(still time?), Declan Watson, Corey Wagner, Wylie Buzza.

Conole, Ambrogio, Noble and co are doing a fantastic job.

We only nominated Johnson for the rookie draft only, which basically means we gave up our right to match him in the national draft.

Too many assumptions in your statement. We got smashed if we wanted all of those players.... didnt look like we did.

Had we hoped to get Colman later.... probably... were we caught off gaurd and unprepared... absolutley not.

We might of wanted Johnson... but clearly didnt feel he was worth more than a rookie selection.

Back off to Geelong board.

The ability to trade back up into the second round with late picks is going to be magnified next year as teams will be looking for points wins rather than just the draft pick to match bids. So on that front I'm not overly worried by the loss of the pies second rounder, we should be easily able to trade something comparable back in with late picks come the draft and trade period. It's so hard too judge trades these days simply because they don't play out for multiple years with future picks. Plenty of them appear to be poor but later pan out well. Happens in the NFL all the time and snap judgements prove wrong.

It was on face value a little much but I'm a big believer that good organisations regardless of sport get the players they want, even if it costs them a little more sometimes. Certainly not a horror decision. Conversely we were too conservative with getting ahead of a Coleman bid and it came back to bite us. That was the bigger error in judgement for the night bit we weren't the only club Caught out with earlier than expected academy bidding this draft. That trend of academy guys going for unders is passing. Will be some nervous teams next year and it may cost them a lot to move up as they will have to go higher. Swings and roundabouts

There is also the very real possibility that clubs (i.e. Richmond) are overrating some of our Academy guys. Having said that, I think what we gave for Coleman was fair market value in what clearly wasn't a stellar draft, it's just more than we had hoped to have to pay. Even if it proves to be overs, I'm gleeful that that bloke Fodoro, or whatever his name is, didn't win that duel.

Some have said we got caught out on our academy guys Cumberland, Martyn & Johnson. Others say we were never going to get them (my thoughts).
When the bid came for Coleman my first thought is we should pass (but what would i know anyhow). The club obviously thought he was worth the pick so they took him.

But isn't it great that AFL Clubs have taken four Lions academy boys in the 2019 draft. Hopefully this result will give a lot of junior players more incentive to produce their best, knowing they can make an AFL list if they work hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is almost certain that Port was auctioning the pick off to whoever wanted Robertson the most. That's the sensible thing to do, and it's what teams do in the NFL in a similar trading set-up (rounds split across multiple days) all the time. He was the obvious choice to get a premium on their pick for.

Crows wanted Robertson and we had to outbid them for Port's pick. We never expected Robertson to get to our first pick at 16 hence the trade for future first. Also the Coleman bid came early and was unexpected. In hindsight trading away those picks early was a poor play as it gave us little room to maneuver on the night. If we had kept them we would have got Robertson, Rivers, Coleman and probably Byrnes which would have been the dream team. Bonus is that Prior and Robertson are good mates so that helps with the mates theory we have had going for a few years now. If either of the WA boys were Victorian they would have been snapped up much earlier. I expect WA to be a new feeding area for us in addition to Vic Country. Prior played a couple of senior games in WAFL and was very solid for just his two games (along with a good champs series and excellent Colts form). Brock Smith is a Darcy Gardiner type lock down defender who most amateurs probably would not rate but would be highly rated by coaches. We really only have Darcy who can play that for us on talls/smalls so Smith fills a need there. I think this was a very solid draft for us but could have been a bit better if we had waited until the night to trade our picks away. Essendon are complete bastards pinching Johnson as we had him prepped as a (non-playing/long term injured) rookie pick. We also have two first round picks next year which is a good thing.

I'm late to the party here. I gave the lead up to the draft no attention given our lack of first round picks and didn't watch the coverage. Had a look this morning after the club sent an email through and I have to say Roberston looks like he could be a beauty. Spoke incredibly well for a kid, leadership experience and a quality carnival. He could really flourish in our system.

Article in the Adelaide Advertiser over the weekend about Port's draft strategy and the fact that they took 8 calls from other teams trying to do a deal on their Pick 21 - it was "hot" property and probably explains the price we had to pay to get it.

I wonder what we wouldve done if the AFL hadn't given the Gold coast that pick and we still had the first pick of the second round.

I wonder what we wouldve done if the AFL hadn't given the Gold coast that pick and we still had the first pick of the second round.

Drafted Robertson.

Pure speculation on my behalf but I'd say we rated him around the 10-12 mark considering what we gave up to make certain of drafting him.

I think in a year or 2 it will be seen as a very wise decision.
Pick 23 and a pick next year between 40-48 for a bloke they rated at 10-12? I can handle that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back