Who will be the better forward?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

doggies ftw

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Going early on this one as I suspect it’s going to be a great point of debate over the next decade.

Which of these two will have the better career? Remarkably similar stats at this point in time - Logan McDonald and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan AFL Stats Comparison - I mean they were even born on the same day FFS, 1cm & 1 game between them.

Both obviously have pretty different styles of play but should lead their respective forward lines for a long time. Both have had very quiet games & patches of form, as to be expected by young key position players but Logan’s just kicked his first real bag of 5 (along with being a multiple goal scorer more often than not) and Marra his 2nd.

Usually I think this is a very good indicator that a young forward is going to be a star when they kick their first bag or two early days, usually shows that at their peak their game will stand up - and you take the lean patches so long as you know that when they’re on they can win you games. In their 3rd season now which is when most of the best young forwards of the game start to have an actual impact rather than just potential, and both these kids have good support around them in the forward line and good midfields providing them the ball (well Marra should but our form is a question for another thread…) so no excuses like being the number 1 forward in a s**t side etc

Who will have the best career? Who would you take to build your forward line around if you had the choice and why?

Genuinely interested to see how this one plays out over the next decade

• Banned
I’d take both.

Prefer Ugle-Hags for his versatility (can play outside the arc and on a wing very comfortably if forward entries get lean), but I prefer McDonald as a pure power forward.

Have a feeling McDonald will have the more successful career.
They’d definitely compliment each other well - McDonalds also got an elite tank and can play the roaming CHF role, and if Marras deep he has great separation and smarts with his leading too so could both rotate through FF/CHF in tandem. McDonald more comfortable under a high ball at this stage though

What gives you the impression JUH won't make it? Has the tools required
I honestly don't know. I'd take him at the dees but despite his height I feel like he lacks presence and will always be that 2nd or 3rd tall type. And even his overall skills I'm not completely sold on. 1 goal 5 behinds before this weeks game. I know he kicked 5 on the weekend but in round 1 he had 7 possessions and round 2 he had 8 possessions. 2 nothing games in a row. Thats off the back of many poor games the previous year.

I honestly don't know. I'd take him at the dees but despite his height I feel like he lacks presence and will always be that 2nd or 3rd tall type. And even his overall skills I'm not completely sold on. 1 goal 5 behinds before this weeks game. I know he kicked 5 on the weekend but in round 1 he had 7 possessions and round 2 he had 8 possessions. 2 nothing games in a row. Thats off the back of many poor games the previous year.

Fair enough. 1.5 in the first 2 weeks wasn't great (also an OoF shot) but it's still 3 shots on goal a game from a young forward. I feel like the biggest thing holding him back was his fitness the last 2 years. I'm expecting him to kick 30+ this year without too many issues. I don't think he'll be a generational talent but think he, Naughton and Darcy will give the opposition headaches for a long stretch of time.

He hasn't really done some of the stuff he's done at VFL level in the AFL yet so there's still more tricks in the bag to show.

Fair enough. 1.5 in the first 2 weeks wasn't great (also an OoF shot) but it's still 3 shots on goal a game from a young forward. I feel like the biggest thing holding him back was his fitness the last 2 years. I'm expecting him to kick 30+ this year without too many issues. I don't think he'll be a generational talent but think he, Naughton and Darcy will give the opposition headaches for a long stretch of time.

He hasn't really done some of the stuff he's done at VFL level in the AFL yet so there's still more tricks in the bag to show.
Yeah I'm sure he can kick 30. No issues with that. He has good traits. I agree that I don't think he'll be the generational talent that he was picked up and I think that's a good thing considering he was given to the dogs for free with the outdated NGA rules. I was a bit sour at the time at the handout, especially with the Sam Darcy f/s coming through but it's a blessing for the dogs that they don't have to rely on JUH to be their saviour and as he can develop behind Naughton, Lobb, etc.

I obviously believe Jamarra will end up better but they are certainly very different KPF's so a comparison is difficult to quantify.

McDonald appears a more traditional version of a key forward and certainly has better strength and power, and probably holds onto his marks more often at this juncture. Jamarra really could be anything, has elite speed and athleticism on the lead and probably more versatile. Has become visually stronger and his bodywork will improve as he develops. Definitely a more raw prospect than McDonald, and I feel like his best will be better but McDonald I am certain will carve out quite a successful career, whereas Jamarra might be more inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JUH looked really good the other night, he's definitely a keeper.

Logan's goalkicking needs to improve, misses too many gettable set shots.

Small sample size but I'd lean toward JUH at this stage. I need to see more from Logan.

I'll keep McDonald. He has more upside.

The negative for McDonald is he's still learning to handle the number one defender. The positive is, if McDonald's got the number one defender, Amartey and/or McLean will get off the leash.

The negative for JUH is he's a lousy set shot who wastes countless opportunities. The positive (for Doggies supporters) is he gives them another excuse when they lose, "Yeah...if only we'd converted".

The negative for McDonald is he's still learning to handle the number one defender. The positive is, if McDonald's got the number one defender, Amartey and/or McLean will get off the leash.

The negative for JUH is he's a lousy set shot who wastes countless opportunities. The positive (for Doggies supporters) is he gives them another excuse when they lose, "Yeah...if only we'd converted".

Bit like blaming umpires for a grand final loss hey?

Logan McDonald reminds me of a young Josh Kennedy when he first arrived at Carlton.

I think he’ll have a similar trajectory and be a lead up, workhorse goal kicking forward.

JUH is much more dynamic though and is the type that can turn a game on a dime.

Ironically, they’d both be perfect for each other in the same forward line.

I think Jamarra has more upside to his game. He is a superior athlete and at the moment, he is on the end of quality service from a very strong midfield. I think once he builds up his tank, he will begin to move up the field a lot more becoming a multi-positioned player.

I don't think you can go wrong with either player. Sydney have better culture so you can guarantee McDonald will get the very best out of himself.

Logan McDonald reminds me of a young Josh Kennedy when he first arrived at Carlton.

I think he’ll have a similar trajectory and be a lead up, workhorse goal kicking forward.

JUH is much more dynamic though and is the type that can turn a game on a dime.

Ironically, they’d both be perfect for each other in the same forward line.

Nowhere near the same aerially as JK.

He’s more Nathan Thompson than JK imo

They play in very similar roles, but both have different strengths. I'd put JUH slightly ahead at the moment and looks to have a higher ceiling. I'm very interested to see how McDonald develops over his career, I think the JJK comparison above seems kinda apt. (Unless he *s off to Perth this year, then I'm not bothered)

Back