Speculation Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd pay the 2 firsts depending on where our first one lands

It's likely 8 and 14 or something close, get it done, having him and Amiss with dogga playing the third would be an almost impossible matchup for clubs

Agreed - there’s a minimum 140 goals a year tall forward set up there when/if fully functional and developed.

Treacy needs to kick 30 goals minimum for me to listen to any argument that says it isn’t the right thing for Freo to pursue. The best part is that if Treacy kicks 30 and we do push forward it probably lands us a late first early second when he request a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The argument about what he is worth is kind of irrelevant, given how much of the season is left.

But if he was to leave, Freo clearly have enough picks to get a deal done regardless of whether he kicks 25 goals this year or 50.

Personally, I think he is being a fraction overrated by some. He hasn't shown as much as Ben or Max King at the same age, but he also doesn't have their knees. He is going to have a long AFL career as a forward + he doesn't seem like he would be bringing any of the baggage that other forwards have brought to Freo.

Thursday night was a total forget for all the key forwards. Even the boundary umpire couldn't grip the ball. So I would be totally ignoring that game.

Last edited:
You're the one in here posting because your club stuffed up not picking Logan tbh

I'm sure we I'll have plenty back and forth with Sydney fans if Logan does nominate us

Your link to Logan was obvious, so thought I'd point it out

How is mcdonald going? Dominating i see...

For all those dills criticising us north for not picking mcdonald, him with his travel danger esp as a key fwd makes makes him unselectable. People might also say but if your culture is good no one would leave, i highlight you luke jackson, after a flag season of all things.

For all those dills criticising us north for not picking mcdonald, him with his travel danger esp as a key fwd makes makes him unselectable. People might also say but if your culture is good no one would leave, i highlight you luke jackson, after a flag season of all things.
Maybe Jackson didnt like Coke?

You're the one in here posting because your club stuffed up not picking Logan tbh

I'm sure we I'll have plenty back and forth with Sydney fans if Logan does nominate us

Your link to Logan was obvious, so thought I'd point it out
If he elects to go home then North's decision is justified. Wouldn't have got a kick over the last few years at North anyway.

I'd pay the 2 firsts depending on where our first one lands

It's likely 8 and 14 or something close, get it done, having him and Amiss with dogga playing the third would be an almost impossible matchup for clubs
I’d expect a player that’s going to win 3 all Australian awards over his career for that price.
He’s not gonna do that.

This is a bit of a stretch given you selected JHF in the following draft. What happened from one year to the next, that made one flight risk "unselectable" and the other a worthy #1 pick?

I’d expect a player that’s going to win 3 all Australian awards over his career for that price.
He’s not gonna do that.
I'm actually curious, what are people looking at / expecting here? He's a 21 year old key forward who has put up similar stats to other quality forwards at the same age and has improved year on year.

I mean, I don't even expect him to have a massive breakout year this year. He'll be taking the first key defender every week, which will take some adjustment, and will be working in a new system where he's the prime focus week-in, week-out, not just playing a surprise cameo when Franklin is out.

What I'd LIKE is that he gets above 40 goals a season (an extra goal every three games or so), keeps his assists steady, a few more marks, and has fewer periods of fading out in the game. This would keep him steady (or take him past) what Larkey, Curnow, McKay and Allen were doing at 22. What I think is more likely is that most stats stay the same, possibly a slight regression due to the reasons above.

So, again, what are people looking at that has them writing him off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually curious, what are people looking at / expecting here? He's a 21 year old key forward who has put up similar stats to other quality forwards at the same age and has improved year on year.

I mean, I don't even expect him to have a massive breakout year this year. He'll be taking the first key defender every week, which will take some adjustment, and will be working in a new system where he's the prime focus week-in, week-out, not just playing a surprise cameo when Franklin is out.

What I'd LIKE is that he gets above 40 goals a season (an extra goal every three games or so), keeps his assists steady, a few more marks, and has fewer periods of fading out in the game. This would keep him steady (or take him past) what Larkey, Curnow, McKay and Allen were doing at 22. What I think is more likely is that most stats stay the same, possibly a slight regression due to the reasons above.

I liked him in his draft year for his versatility and all round skill set but was a bit worried about his marking ability and that has been an issue at AFL level from what I have seen as well

No way you could say that about those other players you mentioned, even early on they had moments where they just jumped off the screen at you with their athleticism and sure hands

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Being completely honest, I have concerns his athleticism and aggression will always hold him back from being elite. It sounds harsh but if he "only" kicks 30ish goals again I'd hope one top 10 pick is sufficient. 40 goals and I'd be pretty comfortable neither of things is an issue at all and just hope we for once use uncontracted leverage to actually mean something rather than pay the farm. Basically I'd want to see more evidence he'll be better than a Todd Marshall type (good but not really game winning)

Of course, Freo would have been chasing since Sydney drafted him so it's probably irrelevant and they'd pay whatever Sydney ask (our best two firsts and possibly a sweetener depending on where they land). Short of all of Freo, Pies and Port making finals, I'll be disgusted if we'd hand over all three first unless he wins the Coleman

Being completely honest, I have concerns his athleticism and aggression will always hold him back from being elite. It sounds harsh but if he "only" kicks 30ish goals again I'd hope one top 10 pick is sufficient. 40 goals and I'd be pretty comfortable neither of things is an issue at all and just hope we for once use uncontracted leverage to actually mean something rather than pay the farm. Basically I'd want to see more evidence he'll be better than a Todd Marshall type (good but not really game winning)
Aggression I can grant you, although I think he's more an up-and-back, N. Reiwoldt style forward than a pack crasher. On that, athleticism seems a weird thing to fault him on to me. One of the things that's good about him is if it's been quiet in the forward line, he's shown that he can work up and down the ground to get involved. It's why his metres gained and i50 numbers are pretty good compared to a lot of forwards at the same age.

As I said, I would hope he went above 40, but a 21-turning-22 year old having their first year in a new system as the number 1 kpf, I'm more sure it would be a consolidation year rather than a breakout one.

Aggression I can grant you, although I think he's more an up-and-back, N. Reiwoldt style forward than a pack crasher. On that, athleticism seems a weird thing to fault him on to me. One of the things that's good about him is if it's been quiet in the forward line, he's shown that he can work up and down the ground to get involved. It's why his metres gained and i50 numbers are pretty good compared to a lot of forwards at the same age.

As I said, I would hope he went above 40, but a 21-turning-22 year old having their first year in a new system as the number 1 kpf, I'm more sure it would be a consolidation year rather than a breakout one.
Maybe power / speed is a better description than athleticism? He's definitely got a tank, that and his IQ I think is his greatest strengths from what I've seen. He's not unco, just not at the level of JUH/Cameron/Curnow/Kings etc. N Riewoldt is a good comparison and I'd have him somewhere between him and Taberner as tall running KPFs if that makes sense

He’s not gonna do that.
That's the thing though, we can't rule out that he won't

Key forwards take time.

It's also a bit of a "Sum of all parts move" having him is either gonna make the other 2 better, or having the other 2 is going to make Logan better

For example, when we match up on brissy, you've got Andrews and Payne to take 2 of them, who is taking the third?

Against Collingwood, you've got Moore and Murphy on 2 of them, Frampton is on the third

Against Carlton you've got weitering and I think either young or kemp on the other 2

There is usually a case to be made with that third tall weighing a team down but Jackson is a freak and amiss is as mobile as Jez Cameron

It's a bloody scary proposition

As it stands right now it's Treacy in that third role, let's say Treacy kicks 2 in the first quarter, do opposition teams swap their matchups? Probably not, if McDonald has done that then they start looking around, then one of the other 2 get off the leash

I think it's a bigger picture move at the end of the day

To me I'd go mobility and marking, I think mobility won't change too much (but for Freo we have 2 mobile keys to pair with) but if he shows a bit more marking this year then I'll be 100% ready for him.

I don't think we need to see 40 goals tbh

To me I'd go mobility and marking, I think mobility won't change too much (but for Freo we have 2 mobile keys to pair with) but if he shows a bit more marking this year then I'll be 100% ready for him.

I don't think we need to see 40 goals tbh
Yeah, marking is where I think his big improvement could come. Probably would have given him another 10 shots last year taking some pretty straight foward (and a few contested) marks. He has a bad habit of going for chest marks where he should be using his size to take them out in front or overhead. Thursday was a wipe for marking forwards given the humidity, but there were two occasions where May or another defender got a spoil because McDonald let the ball come in to close.

I'm actually hopefull that more i50 targets will give him the chance to build that, though you'd wonder why it hadn't been getting done in match sim.

McDonald could have walked after 12 months and it would have still been a mistake that North picked Phillips ahead of him.

Last edited:
He's going to be an above average key forward, but not what he was advertised as coming out of WA.

The WA media had christened him the second coming in the 3-4 months leading into the draft.

He's likely a Nathan Thompson style key forward. 300-350 career goals and 4 club goal kicking awards, never quite good enough to be considered an elite key forward nor in AA contention.

Can certainly (and will) demolish a side on his day, but it will be a few times a season rather than the consistency the absolute elite KPF's have.

Thats where I have him.

He's going to be an above average key forward, but not what he was advertised as coming out of WA.

The WA media had christened him the second coming in the 3-4 months leading into the draft.

He's likely a Nathan Thompson style key forward. 300-350 career goals and 4 club goal kicking awards, never quite good enough to be considered an elite key forward nor in AA contention.

Can certainly (and will) demolish a side on his day, but it will be a few times a season rather than the consistency the absolute elite KPF's have.

Thats where I have him.
Yeah that’s where I have him as a minimum and if Dick doesn’t come on I’ll be happy to part ways with a bit of draft capital to get a 30-50 goal kicking player to play second fiddle to amiss.
We are not looking for the messiah just someone to partner amiss with Jackson being the third tall in the fwd half.
When Darcy is out jackson goes ruck Treacy comes in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back